Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

PaulKing

Re: Me and the real world
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 07:34:15 pm »
Terry there are people doing it on your doorstep. Also about time you popped in to see me :)

yep me! :D
p.s
Thanks for the multi solve , it made short work of that problem we had.
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Mike Halliday

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 07:34:27 pm »
Colin would you like to elaborate? who exactly are you accusing of cutting corners?

if we are talking about giving the customer second best I could give an example that makes most of you guilty of that,  
Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 07:46:56 pm »
Well here is one to throw in the melting pot.What would you charge for this its a nursing home

2512 sq ft of carpet low profile
21 high back seats

???

£550

£8 per chair
£1.65 per m2 DF

easy

NIck
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 07:48:27 pm »
Elaborate please Mikey :o
Surreys No1 Dart player

stevegunn

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 07:54:51 pm »
Well here is one to throw in the melting pot.What would you charge for this its a nursing home

21 high back seats

???

£550

£8 per chair
£1.65 per m2 DF

easy

NIck

Quoted £762 and still got the job.Firstly I asked if they had a figure in mind what they were prepared to pay then based the price on the £800 they told me.Now I could have based it on 8hours at £60 a hour and that would have been far less.

Not all clients will tell you if they have a figure in mind but when they do use it to your advantage.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 08:00:19 pm »
Nick I don't want to change the direction of this thread so will be a spoilsport and keep my elaborations to myself ;)

Mike

The Great One

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 08:17:13 pm »
Hi

We can all earn £60, 70,80 etc per hour and we have probably all done it.

But...

Can we do it every single day on every single job day in and day out?

I myself have worked for £171.25 per hour on a job but these are few and far between. Got one tomorrow worth £150 for about 2 hours work, another each day this and next week but then nothing booked beyond. Would love to earn this every single day but doubt I will even though I am trying to secure new work and am just starting my advertising campaign.

Also is the £60-80 per hour we are talking about turnover or profit as they are two very different things.

Regards

Martin 8)

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 08:26:13 pm »

21 high back seats

???

£550

£8 per chair
£1.65 per m2 DF

easy

NIck

Quoted £762 and still got the job.Firstly I asked if they had a figure in mind what they were prepared to pay then based the price on the £800 they told me.Now I could have based it on 8hours at £60 a hour and that would have been far less.

Not all clients will tell you if they have a figure in mind but when they do use it to your advantage.

NIce one Steve ;D
Surreys No1 Dart player

carpetclean

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 08:37:41 pm »
hourly rates should not be in the equation. its not only carpet cleaning that can be misleading on earnings but all self employed trades. as a decorator i can earn some days what seems extortionate   money and it will equate to a silly amount an hour but over the week or the month it averages out and thats  the important figure. it is unfair and misleading to say you earn x amount an hour as newbies reading the posts think it is the norm to earn this 8 hours a day i dare say some do but there will be far more earning much less
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

Mike Halliday

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 09:02:57 pm »
hopefully any newbies will read all the post completely and understand that no one is saying they earn these high figures for 8 hrs a day .

whether the amount is turnover or profit makes no difference because we are talking about an hourly rate, when a man earns £70 but has £60 expensive, makes no difference he still earned/charged £70 for that hour.

Mike

the red carpet

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 09:21:26 pm »
I see my names popped up a couple times, so i thought id let you know how im doing

Booked in my last available date for this month today the 31st

And my totals for the month if nobody cancells will be £4456.90, this is broke up of carpets, upholstery, and a little protection
And this is my 11th month in business

My next available day with nothing booked (i only clean 4days a week) in on 13th september, i have afternoon apointments available before that but no mornings.

I have spent £820 on advertising this month

And my prices i would think only work out at about 20p a foot, im not sure as i give set prices for rooms. But not dear compared to what a lot of you are charging anyway.

Even though i am taking decent money im still broke as iv made lots of mistakes along the way, and borrowed quite a bit :(

I am not happy with what im taking and am taking on a helper, getting a t/m, and increasing my prices in due course

I will add to this thread again tonight or tomorrow when i find my book with my monthly turnover from the start until now

the red carpet

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 09:33:25 pm »
Sep 05   £431

Oct 05   £409

Nov 05   £1127

Dec 05    £1058

Jan 06    £1482

Feb 06   £1089

Mar 06   £1507

Apr 06    £1818

May 06    £1855

Jun 06    £2149

Jul 06     £2756

Aug 06    £4456.90 in theory ???

jasonl

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 09:35:16 pm »
Turnover is vanity, net profit is sanity, cash is king, its easy to be a bust fool in this business, I ONLY BOOK TILL 2 PM EACH DAY, BOOKED 2 WEEKS AHEAD, then when people call for a last minute job I can always accommodate.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Damian

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 09:37:02 pm »
Somedays i have good days some bad. But i never seem to earn as much as my solicitor who currently charges 200 plus vat every single hour! I do hope she does shorthand and wish to my god that i had paid more attention at school!!  ::)
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

colin thomas

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 09:50:01 pm »
sorry mike, i wasn't referring to anybody in particular, just generally. i too work with a helper as a team when  the work load dictates it and i'm surprised that a suite and 2 rugs take you so long!!!

colin     ;) ;D
colin thomas

Mike Halliday

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 10:08:47 pm »
they were big rugs :D :D

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 10:28:00 pm »
Hi red carpet,
You seem to  be doing well for a new business  :)

How do you manage to spend so much on advertising and what methods do you use ! do you monitor where your leads are coming from ?

Paul

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 10:45:58 pm »
I would have to look at what work was involved, i.e how many floors it was on coupled with the time of day they wanted it done.
Then I would charge it by an hourly rate. The hourly rate would depend on how many people I had helping me?
So Steve for me to quote you a price on size only my sums would add up like this

x+?=?

Each job of this size can vary a great deal.

Sorry for being little help

Not so clever Dave

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 11:02:16 pm »

I seem to be leveling out at £40/hr. Today I did a through, L shapes lounge stairs and landing for £120, but took me 3hrs 10mins from driving up to driving off. I can't seem to do any faster and am not converting quotes that I edge up the price on. I guess everything finds it's own level.

I must admit I've been tempted to skip a pre vacc when it looks OK. Especially when she's been round with the Dyson, my Ninja vac attachement don't seem to make much difference anyway  ::).

Biggest time consumer for me is draught marks around skirting.

carpetclean

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2006, 05:48:24 am »

I seem to be leveling out at £40/hr. Today I did a through, L shapes lounge stairs and landing for £120, but took me 3hrs 10mins from driving up to driving off. I can't seem to do any faster and am not converting quotes that I edge up the price on. I guess everything finds it's own level.

I must admit I've been tempted to skip a pre vacc when it looks OK. Especially when she's been round with the Dyson, my Ninja vac attachement don't seem to make much difference anyway  ::).

Biggest time consumer for me is draught marks around skirting.

hi mike have you  tried filter out !? we apply it by putting it on a towel and dabbing off and not direct on to the carpet seems to work twice as fast as the latter.
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed