This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Chris Cottrell

One hose two poles
« on: August 16, 2006, 09:46:07 pm »
My wife wants to come with me on a big job soon , so was thinking if she's gonna come she may as well work.

Ive got 650 ltr tank, 100 psi sureflow, Varitream2, 100 metres of microbore, and microbore to std hose adapter

Q. Can i put a "Y" piece connector on the end and use two poles will it work or am I dreaming ?

Chris

mark dew

Re: One hose two poles
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 09:56:50 pm »
Q. Can i put a "Y" piece connector on the end and use two poles will it work or am I dreaming ?
Chris
I think the answer is yes.
I have a gardiners 2 people setup although i use it alone.
All i need to connect to make it a 2 people setup again is the Y piece and another reel + pole.

mark

JohnL

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 10:01:39 pm »
so was thinking if she's gonna come she may as well work.

thats the way Chris, take the wife out for the day  :)

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Chris A

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:03:45 pm »
Don't forget to buy her lunch, spam and egg usually does it

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:08:49 pm »
Chris A

she just said yuk to that mate ;D

Mark

I'm thinking of the "Y" piece on the end of the 100 mtr hose then two poles

will that work do you think , I dont want to buy another reel yet just another pole maybe an 18' to do the bottoms with , that way when shes not with me I can use it on smaller properties

Chris A

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 10:13:12 pm »
That's my lunch mate, Salad for her with extra seeds. Linseed are ok I think ;)

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:25:03 pm »

I'm thinking of the "Y" piece on the end of the 100 mtr hose then two poles

will that work do you think ,

I hadn't thought of that but if you can get a Y piece to fit the hose etc i can't see why not.
I'm crap at DIY and if i can't delegate it normally gets left until i can. But i'm sure if you have the connectors it will be fine. All you need is to generate enough pressure for 2 poles and 100psi pump will do that.

I would also be interested in how you get on with it and what parts you use to achieve this.

good luck

mark

matt

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 10:25:42 pm »
you should in theory have 2 hoses and 2 pumps and varistreams

jouk45

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 10:31:53 pm »
you forgote to say , and two wifes  ;D

JM123

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 01:30:07 am »
you should in theory have 2 hoses and 2 pumps and varistreams

def the right way to do it, but we used to run 2 poles off a 60psi 6ltr/min shurflo pump, plus we were using 50m microbore on each reel, worked fine but then again the pump ran at full power all the time.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Trevor Knight

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 06:50:53 am »
It will work but your pump will be going 10 to the dozen.

I have a Y piece at the tank exit into 2 x pumps each with its own hose, works fine and no stress on the pumps.

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Fast 1 *

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 07:51:06 am »
My girlfriend would rather eat glass than come window cleaning with me
wildstyles

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 08:25:54 am »
Hi Chris,

Your flow rate would not be sufficient if you split the flow at the end of your microbore, but if you fitted a hozelock 'y' piece and two tails to the end of your current hose from pump, you will then be able to link a seperate hose reel and pole on.

A 100psi pump should be fine, it will actually probably put less strain on the pressure switch as you are more likely to have a constant flow of water.

Alex

Lee.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 08:27:28 am »
Hi Chris,

I have done what you are planning to do. I have also used two reels. I find find with a y piece in the end of your microbore that when you turn the flow rate up on one pole the flow rate on the other slows down and it is quite annoying when you need a good flow and the wife turns the flow rate up on her brush so you just get a trickle. Having said that I have flow control switches cable tied to my poles where as you have varistream so that should make a difference.  I hope this is helpful to you.

Lee

cleantech.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 01:43:39 pm »
the big problem is when you want to work at different hieghts.

At cleantech a 2 man setup has 2 pumps, 2 controllers, 2 hosereels etc because its the only way to do it right.

If you do want to split your single reel to 2 poles, use a Y peice, and fit a valve to the pipe feeding the lower of the 2 poles, but not the higher one - this way you can restrict the lower pole to give the higher pole water, but you never choke the supply and cause it to cut off completely, or worse burn out a pump.
All posts by Justin @ Cleantech unless specified otherwise

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 04:35:08 pm »
What Justin says is spot on in theory,

However we have been running one of our rigs with a 100psi Flojet pump and 2 reels of 100m microbore, we work at different heights (up to 50ft whilst someone else is at 15ft) never had any problems and always had good flow rate. We have used this set-up for about 3 years now with microbore and about 18 months before that with standard hose, same pump no problems.

Alex

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 08:28:10 pm »
I dunno Why I doubted anyone, I guess I needed to see it for myself, but  have now tried it

I've put the "Y" connector after the pump then connected two reels (1 is a 45mtr std diameter and the other is 100mtr microbore 6mm id ) and two poles ( 1 at 30 ft and 1 at 4 ft ) both work absolutly fine Ive set the varistream at 12 oclock ( 2.1 lpm ) which is normally set at 11 oclock ( 1.4 lpm )

I did think when I shut of one pole the other would spray out like you never seen but no not much differance really

so chuffed to bits, thanks all

Chris

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 07:43:55 pm »
here's an update on my saga

In practice it did work to an extent but in reality not so great I seem to spend quite a while retraceing my steps to the other pole to turn down the flow valve because I was loosing pressure on the big pole , when the flow on the big pole went down I found my self slaving on for a short while untill it became unusable and as a result when we had finished and packed away and doing the insides I noticed a few windows with some poor rinsing on them, luckily being on the insides we could open the window and redo them from there, so lack of quality results from poor rinsing ( not that we dont already know this of course )

I defo think for next time we need to have a second pump and varistream to ensure we both get good results & not just the lower pole user

Live and learn eh

Chris

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 07:52:53 pm »
Your main problem Chris will have been using two different bore Hoses, this will have created the main imbalance.

We always when using one pump use matched lengths of microbore, the pole height on the end does not seem to make any real difference.

Alex

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 08:03:58 pm »
I see what youre getting at Alex but to my mind if im going to spend another 100 or so to set up the second user its going to have to be microbore 100m , so then I may aswell spend a bit more on a pump and varistream then we both have total control over our own flow