This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

T.W.C

Licensed v's Un-licensed window cleaners. New
« on: April 03, 2004, 12:25:25 am »
 ::)

Neil

Re: Licensed v's Un-licensed window cleaners.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 12:52:36 am »
Tam
Do you think a letter to the local paper telling them what is happening might help?
They are always on the lookout for a story and if its in the publics interest to warn them of non professionals then maybe they will run it.
It might not do much but if it makes a few people aware of what is happening then it may help a bit.
Is the customer liable if they employ an unlicensed cleaner?
Neil

tom_currie

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 01:21:52 am »
take photos send to tax office and benefits office if you dont you will be left eating grass
this is business and business only. .
use the law which ever way you can

Londoner

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 11:16:50 am »
We don't have licences here but apart from that the same problem exists everywhere. You can call them cowboys , fly by nights or whatever.
We used to have a crew working round West London who came from South Wales!
They would come up for about three days at a time, sleep in their van and blitz the work.
These days its the assylum seekers who are at it. They are living rent free, claiming benefits and working at anything that gives them cash in hand.

shinebright

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 11:31:46 am »
Give em a clout.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 12:42:31 am »
Glad I don't live in Scotland and need to go through the hassle of getting a licence to earn a living!
But as has already been said, cowboys are everywhere, why not use your computer to print off a few leaflets and go around your customers handing them out?

You could then explain the are unlicensed cowboys who lack insurance and ask them not to be taken in by cut price work.

I don't know what it is like in your area, but everywhere I go there is usually a window cleaner shortage.

You lose one account, there is always another around the corner.

At least it is one way of protecting your round without appearing to be a grass.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

tam

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 01:28:27 am »
The problem in Scotland is that there is no body to "police" the people that have not got w/c/licences. The police are not really interested as they have enough on there plates chasing all the crap on the earth drugs, thieves, muggers etc. I have had a licence for 20 years [since they were first introduced] and have only been asked for my licence once in that time. I Scotland your part of the "black ecomomy" if you dont have a licence and most of these guys are probally on the dole. When I start work on a Friday I have to earn the money to keep my house, pay my shopping, run my car and pay insurance for my business all the things that un/linicenced w/cleaner do not have to do as the dole pays there rent c/tax and a few quid in there pocket so when they start on a Friday its just about all profit. I will probally feel the backlash of this post because I have nothing to hide and maybe some of the people that I am reffering to might be reading this. As for you English based w/cleaners [no offence] I would like you to define a "cowboy" becauce as I see it not many of you are in the W/C Federation, you have no union, no governing body, it is all just hot air in my opinion. If the Federation had more members we would have a bigger voice. but until that happens we will be talking until doomsday about cowboys. licences for ever.  
Tam Moffat NFMWC&GC Ex. Council Member.

matt

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 01:51:29 am »
tam ~~ good post

BUT what difference of being a fed member or not ?? ??

Im not, as personally ive seen what goes on (i worked as a carpenter for a local council, and did a stint as a GmB fed rep, i say a stint, as it was a waste of time, i would go into a "managment meeting", put over my side, then be offered a little less, i would turn it down, only then to be offered a day off a week for a few months to do a "safety course" or something equally lame, this is how it went, the other reps would take the easy day off, it made me sick :()

so im insured, i pay my tax and NI :)

am i a cowboy because im not in the FED ?? ??

Back on topic :)

Tam1967 you have a living to make, do whatever you need to do :)

tam

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 02:03:01 am »
Matt, why are you not in the "Fed" or anybody else that is reading this post. You get god value for money at about £1.00 per week. It wont break the bank.

matt

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 02:12:57 am »
its not the money

what do / will they do for me

and im not trying to be arguementative (spelling) but i dont know what they will do for me ?? ?? ??

tam

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 02:22:16 am »
Matt, and all you non members of the "Fed" out there if you phone Beryl on 0161 432 8754 and ask for an info pack it will be sent to you within the week or E/mail windows@nfmwgc.com or have a look at our web site on www.nfmwgc.com hope to hear from you after you "join" cheers. Tam

sam hughes

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 03:57:54 am »
if u joined the fed today for £50 or what ever it is would the membership run out in june and would you then have to pay another £50 to renew mwmbership?
sam

tam

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 07:49:24 pm »
It works pro rata. No organisation would do that as it would put people off joining.

simonb

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 01:23:44 pm »
Do a leaflet
"Why you shouldn't use an unlicensed Window Cleaner"

List all the problems

NO INSURANCE this means if they have an accident YOU (the householder) PAY

etc etc
Simon

replacement

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 10:13:35 pm »
I cant really help you. I mean the news letter you need to do yourself as i dont no what stuff you do ie gutters patios etc etc But i will say use some pictures like before and after they are worth there weight in gold and tell a thousand words.

As terms i dont belive it that way, so you need to think what terms you want. Think long and hard as this could turn out very nasty if things go wrong.  Also will customes sign and stick to your terms? What happens if an £7 house thinks sod it i dont want you anymore, are you going to take them to court for this? as if you did then i dont see much hope for you getting new customers.

I really would not do them terms very bad idea. News letter great there love it cos its an personel touch.

Justin

riz

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 01:32:07 am »
I take offence to being labled a "English non fed member cowboy"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:(
I pay tax and insurance, wear a uniform and have a new sign written van. Why would i want to give £50 per year to a sticker company???

Ionic's is more of a "federation" offering training insurance and marketing etc.
Regards

Paul