van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john green

car washing with pure water
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:07:00 pm »
 Among WFPer's there appears to be mixed veiws on the pro's and con's of washing vehicles with purified water some say its brilliant ,even if done weekly,others will not even consider it as they fear it will harm the paintwork,any veiws ???   

paul mather

Re: car washing with pure water
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 10:10:38 pm »
I am glad you raised this question John. I have just started down WFP route & washed my Espace with it this weekend. As it is a fairly big car can normally take 35 - 40 mins. Less than 10 with WFP. The result, a gleaming car.

Can't see how it could damage paintwork it's only water & my brush is pretty soft. I stand  to be corrected though.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

john green

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:37:23 pm »
same with me I tried a few times ,great results,but would prolonged use of pure water harm paintwork or create rusting on exposed metal caused  through stone chips etc ????

paul mather

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 10:45:03 pm »
I can't see why, it (purified water )has less or virtually no impurities in it to react with anything. Only thing I would be concerned about is scratching the paint if I held the gooseneck at the wrong angle.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

john green

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 10:50:01 pm »
so why do so many seal the base/floor of their vans with a  glassfibre based sealant  :-\

paul mather

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:06:21 pm »
I suspect they do that because they feel water will no doubt slosh around in their van on a regular basis. I think many would do that if they were using normal tapwater. There is a big difference with giving your car a quick clean once a week & regularly having water dribble out of connectors & sitton the floorpan of your van.

As I said before I have no evidence to back my views up & no doubt someone will come along & prove me wrong. But I can not see the difference between washing a car with pure & regular tap water.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 12:06:56 am »
Rubbish idea.

It takes the polish off and loses it's shine.
Just like windows done with wfp, they're flat not shiny.

And yes I do know what I'm talking about.
I'm a fully qualified Autoglym Motor show valeter. :P

paul mather

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:20:50 am »
Ya  know what squeaky I don't think you could get a more apt picture if you tried.

I actually think you could out Victor, Victor Meldrew.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

paul mather

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 12:24:46 am »
John if you do a search for washing cars you will find this subject has been discussed before as have  most subjects I suppose.

I would put a link on here for you but I haven't got a clue how you do it.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 08:29:40 am »
Just out of interest, why do many car-wash's use pure water as do car valeter's,  you never see a car come out of a car wash drying with white spots.

a couple of guy's on here wash cars with pure water as a side line.

Clear Vision

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 08:35:16 am »

Well squeaky you should see my windows. What a shine!! All done with wfp. I must admit though, they were shiny before but there's even more of a shine now!

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 08:39:11 am »
squeaky remember one of my threads, (Lost my first one to a wfp), you know I'm still traditional, but those windows were very shiny.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 08:40:05 am »
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=10867.0

Heres the last thread it was discussed on.  More of a detailed explanation in there as to what Squeaks is saying.
Sarah

Morph

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 09:56:31 am »

There is an automated car wash round here that says it gives a final rinse with purified water.  The BMW local dealer washes their cars through a purified water sprinkler system.
Washing with purified water cannot harm the car anymore than letting the rain fall on it.  Of course it will reduce the wax finish on your vehicle, as soon as you finish waxing your vehicle the elements start to break it down!
If you love your heap of metal on wheels so much, you can wash it then wax it.  The only difference using purified water, is that you can walk away, let it dry, wax it.  Using tap water, you'll wash, rinse, dry it yourself, then wax.  End result = Same.
If like me your van is just a work horse, then you just wash it down with wfp, 10 mins. walk away!  Send it to the garage for regular service, thats it.
In short: Purified water does not speed up the rusting process, nor does it slow it down, it just saves time on the need to dry.

Oh and by the way, unless you give the windows you clean a wax finish, neither wfp or trad will make the glass shinier than clean glass can be.  I still use both methods, in fact I use a third method too; ie. wet microfibre wash + dry buff microfibre.  Glass looks exactly the same when done properly, however it's done. 

DASERVICES

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 10:09:54 am »

One word of caution, don't try it with an Ionics brush you will end up scratching
  the car.

Doug

ronaldo

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 11:19:54 am »
Rubbish idea.

It takes the polish off and loses it's shine.

And yes I do know what I'm talking about.
I'm a fully qualified Autoglym Motor show valeter. :P

If i was you then squeak i would stick to valeting, youve got less chance of breaking your neck doing that.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Morph

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 11:34:49 am »

One word of caution, don't try it with an Ionics brush you will end up scratching
  the car.

Doug

Hasn't scratched my car or van in 10 months.

"A bad workman..............."

DASERVICES

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 12:16:54 pm »

Hasn't scratched my car or van in 10 months.

"A bad workman..............."

Nope came direct from Ionics at the BWCA course that their brushes would scratch
a car, you would see faint lines not talking about major scratches. On a white van
you would hardly see it, but on a darker colour car you can see it.

Used to valet car's before w/c and the only brush I would use is hoggs hair brushes,
soft as a babys bum. Nylon brushes tend to leave faint scratches.

Doug

Morph

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 12:35:01 pm »
I can't argue with Ionics then!

Interesting point though:  Vikan sell hundreds/thousands of nylon brushes.  On the box they are called car wash brushes.

Mind you I would hardly call any automated car wash brushes soft :o

john green

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 07:50:30 pm »
thanks to one and all,I think I've got the point,I will continue doing the Lambo with P/ water,, ;)