van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jack Judd

I just did not want this one!
« on: May 18, 2024, 11:12:13 pm »
Clean a lovely Cotswold retirement village.  All is well, newly built when i started 5 years ago.  Lovley pvc windows and beautiful stone sills.  5 years on and the sills are as the picture shows, a car crash.  Moss, mould, black spot, lichen etc etc.  its 3 stories high and they have asked if i can clean the sills.  Don’t want to say no as I don’t want to say no.  Just been on FWC ISOH health and safety course as a necessity to comply and come off safe contractor scheme.  This has slowed my recklessness down.  Anyone been asked to complete a similar stone sill job.  Thinking, hypo, jet wash, biocide, but any experience of such a sill clean will be appreciated

Smudger

Re: I just did not want this one!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 11:17:53 pm »
Hypo and pressure will get them reasonably clean but at the risk of damage

We doff them - perfect results
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Bungle

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 11:19:49 pm »
Clean a lovely Cotswold retirement village.  All is well, newly built when i started 5 years ago.  Lovley pvc windows and beautiful stone sills.  5 years on and the sills are as the picture shows, a car crash.  Moss, mould, black spot, lichen etc etc.  its 3 stories high and they have asked if i can clean the sills.  Don’t want to say no as I don’t want to say no.  Just been on FWC ISOH health and safety course as a necessity to comply and come off safe contractor scheme.  This has slowed my recklessness down.  Anyone been asked to complete a similar stone sill job.  Thinking, hypo, jet wash, biocide, but any experience of such a sill clean will be appreciated

Difficult one. You've cleaned the sills. The stone looks manky. But who washes stone down when cleaning windows? Where does it stop?
We look at them, they look through them.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2024, 11:22:26 pm »
Absolutely- stone sills are not part of a window clean in my book
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

zesty

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 09:04:03 am »
Been asked to do similar, have pied it off, too much faff.

You can quote it Darran? I’ll add 10% on  ;D

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 11:23:07 am »
£25 a sill + travel 👍

JandS

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 12:52:59 pm »
Monty miracle patio cleaner...https://montymiracle.co.uk/products/
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

michael mckeary

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 04:11:45 pm »
I usually soak a rag in strong hypo mix and leave it on for an hour and do 4 or 5 of them. Tea break and then go back and remove one and dip the rag in the hypo again and put it on another one then go back and clean the sill with small nail brush and soap solution. Go round the rest in same way but I would need a good return to bring them up like new. I buy 50 rags for £35 from Screwfix, cheap as chips.

zesty

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2024, 04:47:12 pm »
£25 a sill + travel 👍

Will keep you posted

simon w

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2024, 08:12:45 pm »

sub it out? how far from Bristol are you, if your in the Cotswolds?

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2024, 07:53:07 am »
Hypo and pressure will get them reasonably clean but at the risk of damage

We doff them - perfect results

Is the risk the pressure or the hypo ? Or both ?

Just before I go and do something daft  ;)

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2024, 12:39:29 pm »
Mainly pressure - either stone damage or poor lance control and clipping the frame

Jack Judd

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2024, 08:50:50 pm »
thanks guys.  There are about 180 of them over 3 floors.  Was thinking hypo and jet wash floor 1 and 2 and just paint it on with a paint brush.  Floor 3 just hypo, rinse off and then biocide.  I know a stone sill is not part of the window clean but its the sill and they have asked for a quote.  Gardener has also quoted but not sure what they would do.  Will make it worth my while or there is no point.  Thanks for advice.  Will look at patio cleaner and see if it is better than hypo as an option.  Anyone mixed hypo with anything else to make it really sticky other than sufatant? 

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2024, 10:42:41 pm »
only the recommended surfactant