van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Spruce

Re: Electric vans
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2024, 08:21:48 am »
Interesting thread this.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Perfect Windows

« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2024, 08:36:36 am »
Soupy, need a word, please, and I've lost your phone number. Could you drop me an email (see below), please?

Vin

michael mckeary

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2024, 08:39:14 am »
I think the tipping point will be if Trump gets in. He is trying to work with big oil companies. Next year will be interesting and China are selling EVs at half the price of their competitors.

DJW

« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2024, 12:25:43 pm »
I guess they will have to ban petrol lawnmowers, strimmers and hedgecutters and of course petrol/diesel powered boats?

Soupy

« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2024, 12:30:03 pm »
I guess they will have to ban petrol lawnmowers, strimmers and hedgecutters and of course petrol/diesel powered boats?

I've got a gardening business. We use all electric strimmers and hedge trimmers. Stihl ones. They're great.

Not mowers unfortunately, they only really last 1 lawn which isn't much use to us.

I'm sure it'll get there.

I don't much care for boats.

Soupy

« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2024, 12:39:18 pm »
I think the tipping point will be if Trump gets in. He is trying to work with big oil companies. Next year will be interesting and China are selling EVs at half the price of their competitors.

Not sure how old trumpster would make much of a difference. As you say it's China that appear to be driving the EV revolution. America would do well to not let their current market dominance slip into the hands of the CCP.

michael mckeary

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2024, 07:35:39 pm »

Not sure how old trumpster would make much of a difference. As you say it's China that appear to be driving the EV revolution. America would do well to not let their current market dominance slip into the hands of the CCP.

All Trump needs to do is ban Chinese EVs or put a heavy tariff on them. Because the yuan is 90% cheaper than the dollar means wages in China is 90% cheaper to build. The yuan or renminbi is pegged to the US dollar.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2024, 10:38:11 pm »
Trump needs to get voted in first.
It's a game of three halves!

windowswashed

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2024, 05:14:42 am »
EV market is for those able to charge from home which isn't for the majority of working families who street park. For this simple reason alone EV's will never be the first choice of many and without government trying their hardest to force us all to go electric it will never come to fruition .

Perfect Windows

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2024, 06:26:07 am »
Is charging across a pavement a problem that could never be solved?

I ask because the third response on Google to 'ev charging across pavement' gave me this: https://green-mole.co.uk/ev-charging-for-terraced-households/

Fourth: https://www.chargegully.com/

Fifth: https://www.kerbocharge.com/

I'm sure the list goes on. I'm also sure that in a vast, growing market like this there will be hundreds of suppliers and prices will plummet.

More importantly, you'd have to assume that human beings, who have the ingenuity to send rockets into space, invent Hull and create the marvel that is sticky toffee pudding  will throw their hands up and admit defeat when faced by by two metres of tarmac.*

Vin

PS, I'm already prepared for the possibility that the usual suspects will, by sheer chance, have surprisingly strong views on the look of pavements that they have previously kept to themselves.

* That already has electricity, water, gas, phone lines, fibre optic and sewage somehow getting across it.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2024, 06:39:28 am »

For the sake of argument let's assume that, for some genuinely valid reason, literally the only way to run a mower turned out to be petrol.

Would that be a good reason to draw the conclusion that CO2 emissions from motor vehicles should never be addressed?

Vin

PS Inland waterway boats (I own a share in one) are on the list. Date for ban on new diesel/petrol seems to keep changing but it's on its way.

Soupy

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2024, 07:49:19 am »
EV market is for those able to charge from home which isn't for the majority of working families who street park. For this simple reason alone EV's will never be the first choice of many and without government trying their hardest to force us all to go electric it will never come to fruition .

To be fair if I didn't have places where I could charge an EV I wouldn't have one. Waking up every morning to a "full tank" is great.

Another issue I have is that charging at home is way cheaper than charging at work. There are no comparable business tariffs to the likes of octopus's 7.5p night rate.

https://octopus.energy/smart/intelligent-octopus-go

The night rate I have at work is something like 25p. Although this was signed up to during the big energy rip off. Still works out cheaper per mile than diesel though.

As Vin said, the charging network will improve.

Just look at Norway.

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/getting-around/by-car/electric-cars/

michael mckeary

« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2024, 08:49:56 am »

Just look at Norway.

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/getting-around/by-car/electric-cars/
[/quote]

Norway is probably the richest country in the world. They were saying their EVs work well in winter then they told us how. They keep them in a heated garage over night. They also get 99% of their energy from Hydro.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2024, 10:01:55 am »
Norway is probably the richest country in the world. They were saying their EVs work well in winter then they told us how. They keep them in a heated garage over night. They also get 99% of their energy from Hydro.

There really must be a point to this post. Probably fires they didn't start at Luton or charger cables being stolen or EVs just being a bit rubbish or a truck manufacturer going bust or Donald Trump. Or something.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2024, 10:06:01 am »
As I've grown older (and boy, am I growing older) I've drawn the conclusion that people detest change.

Explains a great deal of modern life. Change of any kind. People hate it.

Vin

Smudger

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2024, 10:22:03 am »
It’s a long time since we’ve had a decent thread - well done vin and soupy
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Soupy

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2024, 11:07:43 am »

Great.

Why would we not want to aspire to that?

Probably 1/2 what you are paying.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2024, 12:25:16 pm »
And roughly double what you'd pay on the Octopus EV tariff.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2024, 12:26:01 pm »
As I've grown older (and boy, am I growing older) I've drawn the conclusion that people detest change.

Explains a great deal of modern life. Change of any kind. People hate it.

Vin

No, you just hate anyone having a different opinion! Evidently, you can't actually rest until you reach a certain level of self satisfaction with your opponent- hence locking, then unlocking this thread!😉
Comfortably Numb!

Soupy

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2024, 01:18:46 pm »
And roughly double what you'd pay on the Octopus EV tariff.

Very true.

Not sure if Norway do EV tariffs....