van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Soupy

Re: Electric vans
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2024, 02:53:37 pm »
Those DFSK vans seem cheap and chips to buy.

I looked at a Chinese import van, it was a maxus eDeliver. It was really cheap about £10k 1y old and around 5k miles.

It was rated at around 1t but when I looked underneath it  :o I reckon I could have made a better job of manufacturing it in my shed.

Absolutely no danger I'd bolt a tank into one of them.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2024, 05:12:06 pm »
I looked at a Chinese import van, it was a maxus eDeliver. It was really cheap about £10k 1y old and around 5k miles.

It was rated at around 1t but when I looked underneath it  :o I reckon I could have made a better job of manufacturing it in my shed.

Absolutely no danger I'd bolt a tank into one of them.

I agree about current quality and, at the same time, I suspect that in about ten years you'll be looking back in wonder at how bad they were given they're now everywhere.

Vin

windowswashed

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2024, 07:40:12 pm »
I personally think the depreciation costs together with having to replace batteries on EV's in the secondhand market is what will kill the EV sales.

JandS

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2024, 07:51:16 pm »
How do you manage to run at 20.....I run at 75 with a rinse bar.....will try halving that tomorrow and see.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2024, 08:51:52 pm »
How do you manage to run at 20.....I run at 75 with a rinse bar.....will try halving that tomorrow and see.

All depends on the size of the jets. I have a brush with 3mm jets which requires a pump speed of around 40. 1.4mm jets run at 20 gives me the same level of cleaning efficiency and a more powerful jet!
Comfortably Numb!

michael mckeary

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2024, 08:11:13 am »
The latest problem is how much copper is in the charging leads. They are going round early morning and pinching them and selling them or getting £60 of copper out of them.  They even chop them like what happened at Porsche & Merc garages and caused £80k worth of damage. Guy in USA woke up and had to buy a new one because it took the young guy 13 seconds to steal it. $2700 it cost him for a new one. I think hybrid is the real winner out of the RV revolution. 

Soupy

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2024, 08:24:13 am »
$2700 for a charging lead?

michael mckeary

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2024, 12:49:49 pm »

That's what he said on Utube. If he had waited a week he could have bought his own back on Ebay for $1k. Maybe that's the reason some EVs don't come with a charging cable. Once your cable disappears you can let us know what was the cost to replace it.

Soupy

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2024, 01:06:02 pm »

That's what he said on Utube. If he had waited a week he could have bought his own back on Ebay for $1k. Maybe that's the reason some EVs don't come with a charging cable. Once your cable disappears you can let us know what was the cost to replace it.

I bought a spare.

£119

https://voldt.co.uk/products/type-2-type-2-mode-3-16a-11kw?variant=47261982654798

11kw 4m long, same as the one supplied with the van.

matthewprice

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2024, 02:28:03 pm »
I just bought a petrol kangoo .  Felt electric was expensive to buy . And on the island I live no one to fix if it goes belly up .

Perfect Windows

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2024, 04:40:21 pm »
The latest problem is how much copper is in the charging leads. They are going round early morning and pinching them and selling them or getting £60 of copper out of them.  They even chop them like what happened at Porsche & Merc garages and caused £80k worth of damage. Guy in USA woke up and had to buy a new one because it took the young guy 13 seconds to steal it. $2700 it cost him for a new one. I think hybrid is the real winner out of the RV revolution.

Scrap copper is about £5 a kilo. Did his charging cables really weigh 12kg?

Doesn't sound likely to me.

Every joule of energy a hybrid uses comes from burning hydrocarbons (plug-in hybrids less so). It cannot possibly be the solution to the problem of using clean, non CO2 producing, energy to power vehicles.

Anyway, the thread was about EVs. Hybrids aren't EVs.

Vin

AuRavelling79

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2024, 05:28:11 pm »
I've learned something from this thread.

That a secondhand Electric van might be a good buy right now. If I was in the market (my van miles are usually 25 to 35 in a day - minimum 10, maximum 50) I would consider one.

However as my van is on 75K and 12 years old and I aim to stop window cleaning within 5 years I hope it will see me through.
It's a game of three halves!

michael mckeary

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2024, 09:50:23 pm »

I think they are talking about the cable that comes out of the charging station. They use boltcutters and chop everyone of them. Its a nice earner if you have a full row of them at a carpark. I think in future they will change to the same idea as the air hose. Once you put in your debit card then it will allow you to pull it out. It costs a fortune to fix it when its been chopped.

Soupy

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2024, 06:03:26 am »

I think they are talking about the cable that comes out of the charging station. They use boltcutters and chop everyone of them. Its a nice earner if you have a full row of them at a carpark. I think in future they will change to the same idea as the air hose. Once you put in your debit card then it will allow you to pull it out. It costs a fortune to fix it when its been chopped.

Even better idea is to just have a socket. Punters can carry their own cable.

Ched

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2024, 10:49:27 am »

Even better idea is to just have a socket. Punters can carry their own cable.
Just for info:
Some of the 'Big' chargers have liquid cooled cables to enable the conductors to be thinner and thus lighter. Having to carry your own cable capable of carrying 300Kw would be way too heavy for a fair few people.
The chargers that take a customers cable are normally only up to about 22Kw and are AC, the 'bigger' ones are DC chargers and, I believe are required to have their own tethered cables under the CSS spec.

Soupy

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2024, 05:35:26 am »

michael mckeary

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2024, 08:10:22 am »
Interesting watch:

https://youtu.be/mVGuRPSKb3U

He is just a mouth piece for EVs. He doesn't mention the UK only truck maker went bust last week. The problem is the battery is only guaranteed for 8 years if lucky. If they had faith in them then they would increase this to at least 12 years but some have reduced this to 6 years. It seems like EVs will be a throw away market so good for manufacturing. 

Perfect Windows

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2024, 11:31:08 am »
Interesting watch:

He is just a mouth piece for EVs. He doesn't mention the UK only truck maker went bust last week. The problem is the battery is only guaranteed for 8 years if lucky. If they had faith in them then they would increase this to at least 12 years but some have reduced this to 6 years. It seems like EVs will be a throw away market so good for manufacturing.

You may need some evidence to back up your opinions.

Here's some evidence that batteries aren't "throw away". If you read it, you might just change your mind. https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/the-truth-about-electric-car-battery-degradation-apYqu1y6IYnr

As for "The problem is the battery is only guaranteed for 8 years if lucky.", the article also contains this:

Which might also change your mind. But I won't hold my breath.

But it's OK. The more people refuse to accept that EVs are an excellent solution for 90% of drivers, the cheaper EVs will be secondhand. Given I only plan to buy secondhand, the more anti-EV propaganda, the better.

Vin

michael mckeary

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2024, 01:36:48 pm »
Interesting watch:

You may need some evidence to back up your opinions.

Here's some evidence that batteries aren't "throw away". If you read it, you might just change your mind. https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/the-truth-about-electric-car-battery-degradation-apYqu1y6IYnr

As for "The problem is the battery is only guaranteed for 8 years if lucky.", the article also contains this:

Which might also change your mind. But I won't hold my breath.

But it's OK. The more people refuse to accept that EVs are an excellent solution for 90% of drivers, the cheaper EVs will be secondhand. Given I only plan to buy secondhand, the more anti-EV propaganda, the better.

Vin

Probably because I'm a retired FF and have seen metal burning at over 2,000 degrees. Like a lithium ion fire which can burn at 2500 degrees. This can burn down carparks like the Luton Airport fire. Once we have a fire on channel tunnel, Ferry or any long tunnel then they will be banned. I think they are great in theory but in reality they are rubbish. That's my opinion but hybrid seem to be making ground. Maybe when salt batteries come out things will change. I would like them to do well but can't see it at the moment.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2024, 01:53:24 pm »
The misunderstanding about battery life was disproven with data.

The misunderstanding about battery warranties was disproven with data.

So we'll ignore them, not even acknowledge the point and move on to the next item of anti-EV propaganda. Fires. And I answered that earlier in the thread. So nobody needs to look it up, I'll paste it here.

'PS. My favourite stats on fires come from an article about Tusker fleet management. (1)  They have 30,000 EVs and "the company’s insurance records show that not a single one of the EVs on its fleet have caught fire." (2) "A study by the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency backs up Tusker’s findings. It concluded that EVs are 20 times less likely to catch fire than petrol and diesel cars.
Both quotes from an excellent article at https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/tusker-fleet-data-reveals-the-truth-about-ev-fires '

What's next? "Raw material mining"? "Not recyclable" ? "Charged using fossil fuels". "Worse than keeping your old car"? Which to choose, which to choose?

Vin

PS, Luton car park fire caused by...   drum roll...   a diesel vehicle. BAN THEM!!!! WHO WILL THINK OF THE CHILDREN???!!
(source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-68627759 )