van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Perfect Windows

Electric vans
« on: May 15, 2024, 04:52:58 pm »
Anyone have experience of running one and kitting it out for window cleaning?

Many models have the battery pack under the floor, so in particular, I'm interested if/how you bolted your tank down.

How much difference does the weight of water make to your range?

Do you draw 12v directly for pumps, etc?

Anything else worth knowing?

Thanks,

Vin

Smudger

Re: Electric vans
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 06:58:26 pm »
Soupy was using a couple - not sure how well it worked tho.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

michael mckeary

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 07:03:55 pm »
I think the EV Sprinter can only take 700kgs and do 80 miles if you are lucky. No EV is going to suit us unless one runs with a 350l tank, I have found out.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 07:53:08 pm »
I think the EV Sprinter can only take 700kgs and do 80 miles if you are lucky. No EV is going to suit us unless one runs with a 350l tank, I have found out.

There are vans with over a tonne payloads. For example, the sprinter with 41kWh battery has a 1043kg payload. VW E-transporter is 1071kg (trim dependent).

My highest mileage day is 36 miles.

Vin

Soupy

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 08:14:02 pm »
No problems whatsoever.

Run the pump off the 12v battery. No need for split chargers or removing the battery or anything like that, there's no starter and the 12v battery only runs the dashboard really.

No issues with weight/range.

We have evitos and an evivaro. Virtually no difference in fitting to the diesel equivalent.

The Vito payload is about 1t. The vivaro is 1.2t we are nowhere near maxing out the payload.

Soupy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 08:17:39 pm »

650l in mine.

145 miles "suggested" range. Only get 100 which is more than enough.

1/3 the price of diesel and £0 road tax.

Soupy

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 08:21:06 pm »
Soupy was using a couple - not sure how well it worked tho.

I've had 5 electric vans. Down to 2 but my next van will be electric.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 08:22:24 pm »
No problems whatsoever.

Run the pump off the 12v battery. No need for split chargers or removing the battery or anything like that, there's no starter and the 12v battery only runs the dashboard really.

We have evitos and an evivaro. Virtually no difference in fitting to the diesel equivalent.

The Vito payload is about 1t. The vivaro is 1.2t we are nowhere near maxing out the payload.

Thanks!

When you say no problem with fitting, we bolt through to the chassis. Are you doing the same? If not, how's the tank secured?

Vin

Soupy

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2024, 08:25:52 pm »
No problems whatsoever.

Thanks!

When you say no problem with fitting, we bolt through to the chassis. Are you doing the same? If not, how's the tank secured?

Vin

It's bolted through the floor with spreader plates. There's not much room underneath by the bulkhead where the battery is but plenty room behind it.

Also the frame bolts into the tie points (with the eyelets removed).

Perfect Windows

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2024, 08:28:25 pm »
Thanks again. I think I'll take a dekko at a few different models at dealers to see how it would work for us.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2024, 08:40:38 pm »
Less of a problem for us  soft southerners than you but did you suffer a range drop in winter?

Vin

Soupy

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 08:40:55 pm »
Thanks again. I think I'll take a dekko at a few different models at dealers to see how it would work for us.

Vin

The biggest issue we've had is depreciation.

Not really an issue for us because the mercs are rentals. When it came to renewal Merc finance tried to treble the rental - in an attempt to claw back the depreciation I guess.

Second hand evitos are cheap though...

Soupy

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2024, 08:41:56 pm »
Less of a problem for us  soft southerners than you but did you suffer a range drop in winter?

Vin

Yes. The heater knocks 30% off the range. Still 100 miles is more than enough.

Soupy

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2024, 08:47:05 pm »
They do use tyres more than diesels.

The low down torque is noticeable so I think it's down to the driver.

zesty

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2024, 06:33:55 am »
Can’t see the benefit.

My custom will do 600 miles on a tank, it’d hardly expensive in diesel.

No point paying a premium for electric van with pants range . I suppose leasing one is the best option.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2024, 06:53:24 am »
Not paying a premium. Dirt cheap secondhand, particularly the 80 odd mile range ones.

Range? You may have missed this...

Vin

zesty

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2024, 07:15:30 am »
Not paying a premium. Dirt cheap secondhand, particularly the 80 odd mile range ones.

Range? You may have missed this...

Vin

Would never buy a second hand leccy van, the battery’s could well be shot to bits.
I understand the mileage, but I was pointing out that I can fill my van tank and then not think about range for a month. It’s amazing really…

Perfect Windows

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2024, 07:31:28 am »
There are plenty of diagnostics available to check the battery state. Hyundai have recently said that data gathered from their sold EVs suggests their batteries will last a mere 300,000 miles before dropping to 85% capacity.  (You're also ignoring the fact that the engine could be shot on a diesel van.)

I, too, will be able to forget about range because when I wake up I'll have 80-odd miles of range and  a maximum of 36 miles to do.  I'm honestly struggling to see why I'd need a 500 mile range given that my fuel station will be on my driveway.

Vin

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2024, 07:52:09 am »
There are plenty of diagnostics available to check the battery state. Hyundai have recently said that data gathered from their sold EVs suggests their batteries will last a mere 300,000 miles before dropping to 85% capacity.  (You're also ignoring the fact that the engine could be shot on a diesel van.)

I, too, will be able to forget about range because when I wake up I'll have 80-odd miles of range and  a maximum of 36 miles to do.  I'm honestly struggling to see why I'd need a 500 mile range given that my fuel station will be on my driveway.

Vin

How long do you/will you keep the van - do you think?

I just wonder how heavily the depreciation factor weighs into the equation.
It's a game of three halves!

Perfect Windows

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2024, 08:06:41 am »
I'm planning to buy secondhand so the big chunk of depreciation is on someone else's shoulders. Probably Soupy's.

Current van is now 18 years old. Electric vans I'm looking at are four years old so I'd be content to get another ten years or so out of one. My son will hopefully have taken over the business by then. I do 3,000 miles a year or so, so I don't think that would be unreasonable.

Vin