van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

michael mckeary

Pressure Washing
« on: May 14, 2024, 03:18:53 pm »
Good day today for PW a driveway. I always book mine in when its a day like today and raining all day. It means the surface is wet and dirt a tad softer which I find I can do the job in half the time. The customer doesn't seem to bother as long as its getting done. Next week I go back and sand it and then in a months time I go back and spray weedkiller on any weeds coming through. Usually do it when I'm back cleaning their windows due to repeat business.

Bungle

Re: Pressure Washing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 03:46:58 pm »
Good day today for PW a driveway. I always book mine in when its a day like today and raining all day. It means the surface is wet and dirt a tad softer which I find I can do the job in half the time. The customer doesn't seem to bother as long as its getting done. Next week I go back and sand it and then in a months time I go back and spray weedkiller on any weeds coming through. Usually do it when I'm back cleaning their windows due to repeat business.

Cool story bro.
We look at them, they look through them.

simon w

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 04:00:05 pm »
Good on you mate, keeps you earning, a lot on here pray for rain so they can stay home and spend all day on CIU  ;D

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 05:38:01 pm »
So yesterday i did my first pressure washing job, all went well apart from underpriced it but that will come with experience, used hypo for the first time and quite enjoyed it although it was red hot inside a pair of waterproof trouser hoody and full face mask......

Anyway today i had another booked in, it was only a small job but because of the forecast rain i didnt book anything else in and figured id just go do this job for a bit more experience. I was looking forward to it, so i got there and went looking for the outside tap, i looked everywhere before concluding they dont have one  ;D

Got back in the van and went home, why someone would ask for pressure washing with no outside tap i do not know, but equally why i never thought to ask is also baffling.

Slacky

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 06:09:47 pm »
You ought to be spraying any weeds before you clean it. A couple of weeks beforehand apply Roundup.

simon w

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 06:37:48 pm »
So yesterday i did my first pressure washing job, all went well apart from underpriced it but that will come with experience, used hypo for the first time and quite enjoyed it although it was red hot inside a pair of waterproof trouser hoody and full face mask......

Anyway today i had another booked in, it was only a small job but because of the forecast rain i didnt book anything else in and figured id just go do this job for a bit more experience. I was looking forward to it, so i got there and went looking for the outside tap, i looked everywhere before concluding they dont have one  ;D

Got back in the van and went home, why someone would ask for pressure washing with no outside tap i do not know, but equally why i never thought to ask is also baffling.

Little professional tip Stoots, don't just check they have a tap, check the water pressure from it is adequate to keep your machine running long enough to get the job done  ;)

michael mckeary

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 06:42:53 pm »
You ought to be spraying any weeds before you clean it. A couple of weeks beforehand apply Roundup.

Good idea but my customers only make decisions when the sun comes out and want it done as quick as possible. I bought a £200 backpack sprayer that the councils use so I don't go through alot of Gallup which I use. After a month the weeds show themselves and its an easy fix. Been doing it this way for years now and it seems to work for me and the customers who don't need to buy weedkiller for that year. Winner winner chicken dinner as they say.  😉

Soupy

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 07:08:33 pm »
I've been trying to get into pressure washing.

Unfortunately I'm now one of those - all the gear no idea(r) types.  :'(  ;D

I've priced loads but hardly get any. Obviously I'm pricing too high but I refuse to go lower than WC hourly prices. What would be the point?

Slacky

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 08:42:30 pm »
There wouldn’t.

My P/W hourly rate is about £85.00.

Soupy

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 09:27:17 pm »
There wouldn’t.

My P/W hourly rate is about £85.00.

Off the top of my head I reckon I get about 5% of quoted jobs.

Slacky

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 09:41:53 pm »
Last year was quite tough I found regards pressure washing, the work just wasn’t about in quite the same way, solar panel cleaning was mental but PW seemed naff.

Now the phone is off the hook with PW enquiries. Can’t make its mind up. I’m turning work away now as beginning to wind the business up.

Bungle

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 09:45:40 pm »

I've priced loads but hardly get any. Obviously I'm pricing too high but I refuse to go lower than WC hourly prices. What would be the point?

For me I don't see the point of spending £1,000's on PW equipment when I would have to work more hours to fit the extra work in. P/55 easy repetitive mind numbing, boring window cleaning is enough for me.
We look at them, they look through them.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 10:03:05 pm »

For me I don't see the point of spending £1,000's on PW equipment when I would have to work more hours to fit the extra work in. P/55 easy repetitive mind numbing, boring window cleaning is enough for me.
Agreed, it just doesn’t get any easier than regular maintenance window cleaning. I wouldn’t be able to hit the same hourly rate on a regular basis doing pressure washing.

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2024, 10:23:31 pm »
I think it's just something different to do.  Even if you only hit the same hourly rate its nice for a change to just be on one job all day rather than in and out of the van 25 times plus it gives the body a rest.

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2024, 10:25:57 pm »

Little professional tip Stoots, don't just check they have a tap, check the water pressure from it is adequate to keep your machine running long enough to get the job done  ;)

Yeh I've got a big van so plan is to fit a 500l buffer tank. Put it on fill as soon as get to a job. Gonna van mount the washer as well should be much quicker than faffing about dragging a trolley and bin around.

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 11:46:10 pm »
Weeds after 4 weeks - wow!

Stoots are you going to do windows out of the van as well as p/w ?

Its going to have to be a really big van - I have a Transit Jumbo and a boxer L3 - and although you could just about have a pure water tank and p/w they would both be well over weight
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2024, 07:26:54 am »
Weeds after 4 weeks - wow!

Stoots are you going to do windows out of the van as well as p/w ?

Its going to have to be a really big van - I have a Transit Jumbo and a boxer L3 - and although you could just about have a pure water tank and p/w they would both be well over weight

Im going to set the washer up at the side door and mount the hoses for it on top of the tank I think.

It's an L2 H2 relay payload 1575kg.  Plenty of room. I've got a foot between tank and bulkhead and there's about 2 foot between tank and where the bin is. Plus loads of height I don't use. To be honest I think I could fit it all in twice over.

michael mckeary

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2024, 07:45:15 am »
PW is just seasonal so that's why I only put it in the van when I need it. The bin holds the hose and lances. I make £200 to £400 a job for not more than 4hrs work. Not looking for big money but just to break up my window cleaning. I mostly PW for my customers which means I get repeat business. When customers know you can do other tasks like building fences, laying patios, cutting hedges, trees and oddjob stuff then one will never have a clear day. Only thing is you need to pace yourself or you end up with too much work.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2024, 07:50:43 am »

I couldn't be arsed with all that myself.....

I just trained my window cleaning customers that i work in the rain all year round,if they don't like it they get dumped.

You must need a large van for all your pressure washing equipment.the extra expenses involved and general faff it's not worth it.

I earn £80-£100 an hour on some of my window cleaning work and my average is around £50 an hour on even my cheaper run of the mill estate work plus its repeat work every few months
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2024, 07:55:24 am »
PW is just seasonal so that's why I only put it in the van when I need it. The bin holds the hose and lances. I make £200 to £400 a job for not more than 4hrs work. Not looking for big money but just to break up my window cleaning. I mostly PW for my customers which means I get repeat business. When customers know you can do other tasks like building fences, laying patios, cutting hedges, trees and oddjob stuff then one will never have a clear day. Only thing is you need to pace yourself or you end up with too much work.

Or you end up running round like a blue arse fly!🤣👍

Each to their own but I'd rather just earn as much as I can for the least amount of time/hassle and that for me is Maintenance window cleaning now I'm in my 50s...

price higher/work harder!