This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jo5hm4n

Is this safe or no?
« on: April 01, 2024, 09:32:03 pm »
So we have the 2 vans and possibly will be getting 3rd van later this year.  For now we also have a Vauxhall Astra Estate/Astravan.  Its the domestic version but its exactly the same as the Astravan model i know as i had one for 6 years.

Anyway we use the Astra Estate for doing quotes, and customer interactions etc.  The Vehicle is white and pretty much just looks similiar to a van.

So what i would like to do is fit a flat low height water tank into the back off the Astra.  Im thinking a 250L.  Basically whatever is the lowest height tank possible.  I would be strapping the tank down, and then use a genie box or similiar for easy use.  The purpose of all of this is to have a backup wfp system just incase one of the vans breaks down or is in the garage for a few days.  We already own the vehicle and use it for quoting and other work related things so to me it makes sense to also have this vehicle kitted out as an emergency backup wfp system so no downtime if other van is off the road.

Because its an Astra Estate/Astra van it does not allow the height for anything other than a flat tank as not enough height for a normal tank or a cage.

I know people say its not safe to strap down a tank for employee use in case of a crash, but its literally a low height 250L flat tank.  Surely this has to be pretty safe right?  Unless i am being completely stupid having a low height baffled tank strapped down has to be alot safer than a normal tank right in the situation of a crash?  Or am i wrong and would it still be seriously dangerous to have a flat 250l tank in a crash just strapped down?

As it will be an employee driving the vehicle i want to make sure i get this right and its safe and covered by insurance etc.

What do you think?

Something like this tank below.  Its 32cm in Height.

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/250-litre-water-tank-flat-baffled/p6154?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqmwBhBVEiwAL-WAYXi2flK0U03gCe5Ppr0MHyxFUvXymMjWN2QEtfl2CFK9ekHufDTmrRoCtlEQAvD_BwE

thanks

zesty

Re: Is this safe or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 10:08:15 pm »
You can still find a way to bolt it down to the floor, just get a local metal worker to sort you out a frame to screw it down.

I mean, to be fair, it’ll probably be absolutely fine, but it’s up to you.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 12:00:11 am »
while I think its perfectly ok to strap a tank down it has to adhere to certain criteria and one of those is its strapped against a bulk head so there is no inertia.

unless estate's have changed you have no bulk head - only seats (which will now be folded down ?

for staff I wouldn't do it - if it was the van version yes - estate no - good thinking on your part tho
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

jo5hm4n

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 11:10:59 am »
You can still find a way to bolt it down to the floor, just get a local metal worker to sort you out a frame to screw it down.

I mean, to be fair, it’ll probably be absolutely fine, but it’s up to you.

Good idea, my local garage has some welding experience, maybe i could ask them?

jo5hm4n

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 11:15:00 am »
while I think its perfectly ok to strap a tank down it has to adhere to certain criteria and one of those is its strapped against a bulk head so there is no inertia.

unless estate's have changed you have no bulk head - only seats (which will now be folded down ?

for staff I wouldn't do it - if it was the van version yes - estate no - good thinking on your part tho

Yes you are right there is no bulk head in the estate like the astravan had, funnily enough on my last van i took the bulk head out for easier access to the back via the front lol.

What do you mean seats will be folded down?  Are you talking about the back seats?

Bulk head might be an issue, again the tank will only be 30cm high, but i suppose in a high speed crash that could still do some serious damage if it plowed into the back of the seats? 

Im going to entertain the idea as i think there must be a way to do it relatively safely.  As said above, maybe even just getting a welder/metal worker to create a tank to bolt it down may still work..... 

The reason i actually prefer the estate version to the astravan version is because its a 5 door so easy access to the sides, whereas astravan is just the boot which would be a nightmare for a van mount system, difficult to get in and out to do anything tbh....

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 12:41:32 pm »
In my old motor trade days, the people carrier version had softer rear springs for passenger comfort.

The Citroën Xsara estate had softer springs than did the Xsara van. I can't remember the payload figures.

The Citroën Multispace had a payload of 450kgs, where the van was either 600 or 800kgs.

There was a local window cleaner who used an Astra Estate for window cleaning. I think he had a 500 litre flat tank in the back of his. That car was flat on its suspension when I saw it occasionally in the mornings. He gave up window cleaning last Autumn.

His tank was wedged between the wheel arches and I didn't see any other securing mechanism, although he assured me there was.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 01:31:10 pm »
looks like 650 KG for an Astra Estate
so not much available with fuel - driver - equipment

I know the tank is not that high but will come straight through the seats - if possible why not weld a retaining bar across the car on the B pillar about 1/2 the hight of the tank - would be a solid stop for the tan
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 04:36:26 pm »
would be better swapping it for a small van such as a  bipper instead. Still should be economical but most importantly cover your back for an accident. With staff i wouldnt take the risk, how screwed would you be if an accident happened, very screwed most probably.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 06:11:51 pm »
An astra van is totally unsuitable for wfp IMO,low payload, weak suspension,no bulkhead and tiny space in the back.ideal for trad though because it has a low roof for ladders.
price higher/work harder!

jonboywalton75

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 11:47:15 am »
I used an astravan for 4 years with a 350 L tank.
Not ideal but until I got my transit custom it did me.
I checked the payload and full it was close.
Sold it after leasing and didn't lose out to any crazy extent

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 07:47:51 pm »
Why not get a trailer if it’s just for breakdowns etc
Spit and polish

jo5hm4n

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 08:00:39 pm »
Why not get a trailer if it’s just for breakdowns etc

You have got a point too be fair!  Is there a company that makes ready made wfp trailers?

Ill definitely look into it.  We already have all the kit to do our astravan build, but with the safety issues ill look into the trailer idea.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 08:01:21 pm »

Forgot about this!  From memory you strapped your tank down too?  If we have a 250L we would be more than fine then nowhere near the max limit on weight.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2024, 08:05:24 pm »

I know the tank is not that high but will come straight through the seats - if possible why not weld a retaining bar across the car on the B pillar about 1/2 the hight of the tank - would be a solid stop for the tan

This is a great idea.  My local garage also does welding maybe i should have a word with them and see what they can do.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 10:33:31 pm »

Forgot about this!  From memory you strapped your tank down too?  If we have a 250L we would be more than fine then nowhere near the max limit on weight.

I did strap it in, good ratchet straps, but never had a bump
I was careful 😁

robert mitchell

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2024, 04:34:44 pm »

This is a great idea.  My local garage also does welding maybe i should have a word with them and see what they can do.

Its an awful idea , it will change the way the car crumples/ bends in an accident and could also make it much harder for firefighters to cut you out ........it will aslo be a modification so will affect insurance .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2024, 10:12:05 pm »

Its an awful idea , it will change the way the car crumples/ bends in an accident and could also make it much harder for firefighters to cut you out ........it will aslo be a modification so will affect insurance .

Good point!

Back to the drawing board then.  Its either strapping down a flat 250l tank or try and get a frame made and welded down securely i reckon.