This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KS Cleaning

Tailgate or barn doors
« on: November 18, 2023, 09:54:55 am »
Thinking of changing van. I currently have barn doors but thinking a tailgate might be more suited for electric reel? I always have rear door open when working so this is not an issue. I think I would probably need a little more room for parking? Anyone work from a tail gate and what are the pros and cons?

simon w

Re: Tailgate or barn doors
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 12:39:48 pm »
New van or used van? finding the right van with a tailgate can make choosing harder as there are more important requirements such as mileage, previous owners, condition of bodywork etc. I've had both and they both have their merits, tailgate keeps your head dry when it's raining, putting on waterproofs etc.  Changed my van last Nov brand new and this time went  for regular rear doors, a year on I can't say I miss the tailgate enough that I think about it. I went for an auto gearbox this time and this for me will be a must for all future vans along with a long wheelbase .

KS Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 01:04:51 pm »
New van or used van? finding the right van with a tailgate can make choosing harder as there are more important requirements such as mileage, previous owners, condition of bodywork etc. I've had both and they both have their merits, tailgate keeps your head dry when it's raining, putting on waterproofs etc.  Changed my van last Nov brand new and this time went  for regular rear doors, a year on I can't say I miss the tailgate enough that I think about it. I went for an auto gearbox this time and this for me will be a must for all future vans along with a long wheelbase .
New or nearly new. I currently have the Custom 290 Sport Auto.

simon w

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 01:53:28 pm »
If it's a new van it's easy, you just spend more money and order the upgrade of a tailgate, if used I'd have it further down the priority list as obviously lowest mileage as possible , well looked after engine & body work are far more important.

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 04:32:00 pm »
I agree with the fact of your choice of tailgate vans limits your choice.
I ran 2 vans with tailgates
A vivaro and a Citroen spacetourer ( dispatch)

The reason I went for tailgates : the barn door vans I had in years past , the wind took the doors and bent the hinges😬

My latest van is a dispatch with side 2 side loading  doors( no tailgate) So I just work out of the side door. Works very well.
So could be another option.

T

windowswashed

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 05:17:36 pm »
Love a tailgate, stay dry changing garments and reeling in hose.

Fit a pet dog lock on the tailgate lock so you can leave tailgate slightly open but locked up so hose isn't trapped by the door.

Doesn't take up anymore room to open tailgate than barn doors between parked cars.

Only downside was fitting a roller roof rack, it would catch the tailgate so extended the height of the last pair of brackets by 80mm which solved the problem.

simon w

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 05:24:52 pm »
Think I replaced the tailgate struts twice while I owned my last Ford Custom as they get worn out and tailgate eventually stops going the full way up on it's own without a push, and trust me when this happens eventually you'll whack your swede on it  :-X

If you work on roads with busy live traffic a tailgate gives you the advantage of seeing passing cars before you walk around the side of your van.

dd

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 05:38:07 pm »
I agree with the fact of your choice of tailgate vans limits your choice.
I ran 2 vans with tailgates
A vivaro and a Citroen spacetourer ( dispatch)

The reason I went for tailgates : the barn door vans I had in years past , the wind took the doors and bent the hinges😬

My latest van is a dispatch with side 2 side loading  doors( no tailgate) So I just work out of the side door. Works very well.
So could be another option.

T
I fitted a cabin hook to my dispatch. No problem with the hinges, just one of the doors (the more used/worn one) would blow shut in the wind.

NBwcs

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 07:17:46 pm »
"tailgate or barn doors".... At 6ft 3", tailgate not an appealing proposition for me.

High-Tower

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 08:23:17 pm »
"tailgate or barn doors".... At 6ft 3", tailgate not an appealing proposition for me.

I’m 6’5 and never banged my head on my transporters tailgate. I like a tailgate over barn doors given the choice, once it’s open it’s out of the way.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 09:07:44 pm »
There's a reason why RAC and the AA order vans with tailgates. Their employees find shelter under the open tailgate when it's raining.
I found the same when  I had a Suzuki Carry van as my first window cleaning van.

If it's windy, I find the wind blows my barn doors on my current van closed rather forcefully.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2023, 01:02:47 am »
Suzuki Carry 0 them were the days ! ;D

I did a set up for the father in law way back when - worked a treat - 400 Ltr tank if I recall

Noisy b@st@rd but very warm  8)
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dd

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2023, 01:03:43 pm »
Suzuki Carry 0 them were the days ! ;D

I did a set up for the father in law way back when - worked a treat - 400 Ltr tank if I recall

Noisy b@st@rd but very warm  8)
Van or the father in law?

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2023, 01:28:47 pm »
 ;D

Van

He was a miserable b@st@rd 👍
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

robbo333

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2023, 03:33:18 pm »
I've got a tailgate on my Hiace and it's fine, but I work out the side of my van (which is far quicker for me) so, tailgate, or barn doors, I'm not fussed really.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

KS Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2023, 05:41:13 pm »
Thank you for all the replies, it’s given me some food for thought…….if I do take the plunge.

Viscount

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2023, 08:37:05 pm »
Back in the day I had a Hiace with a tailgate. Loved it. I sometimes sat with a flask watching it rain with the tailgate as shelter. Back in the days of hand winding, it was great for when it rained.

The wind took my back doors and blew them open so the right door (on a Vivaro) bent its hinges. This moved the latch for the door a few mm (the whole door was slightly over due to the bend in the hinges). When closed, the second door would not close onto it, I had to tie it with a section of pole hose then take the latch off and add spaces underneath to move it across a bit. Right pain.

zesty

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 09:43:13 am »
I have a transit custom with a tailgate, and I massively rate it.

It means there are no doors in the way for the hose.

You get a rain cover and the back of the van doesn’t get wet.

You have no issues with wind slamming the doors.

It looks neat aesthetically (unimportant but ya know)

When I get a newer custom I’ll be doing all I can to find another tailgate version. They are much harder to find.