van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jay moley

Getting rid of customers
« on: May 28, 2023, 11:41:50 am »
As I'm about to go back to working on. my own I've decided to get rid of all the crappy jobs:

Awkward ladder jobs
Anything unsafe
Access/pain to set up
Customers I dont like

So far I have texted three. Two didn't reply, the other got really narked.

When dumping do you let customers know or just stop going?

Is it best to be honest or make up some excuse?

Also have some I want to dump but they are really nice, long standing customers.

SB Cleaning

Re: Getting rid of customers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 11:47:30 am »
Why don't you sell the decent ones on?

jay moley

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 11:54:08 am »

None of them are decent.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 12:55:35 pm »
Very unprofessional just not going back imo but then again so is not charging the right amount or close to it,first thing I’d do is hike the price right up and lose em that way you never know they might become decent jobs.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 01:40:00 pm »
Easiest way to dump customers is to make them dump you.

Just up the price to a ridiculous amount.  Like if its a £15 job, up it to £20-£25.

A) they will dump you as its too much of an increase, problem solved happy days and you dont even have to tell them why you wanted to dump them in the first place.

B) they decide to accept the increase and now you just made an awkward pain in the backside £15 job become a £20-£25, so if nothing else you are getting paid good money to put up with a crap customer.

Its win win in my view.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 01:52:47 pm »

None of them are decent.

Why don't you sell the rubbish ones on?

jay moley

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 03:02:49 pm »

None of them are decent.

Why don't you sell the rubbish ones on?

Never sold work and to be honest don't want the aggravation. Also not sure who would be interested as its such poor work.

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2023, 05:39:35 pm »
I've just been dumping as I go.

I tried selling some but just got silly offers so dumped a lot of it

Pete Thompson

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 06:50:04 pm »
Some jobs I didn’t like I just hiked the price ridiculously and all of a sudden it’s an amazing paying job and I didn’t mind so much.

Others involved doing things I didn’t want to do anymore, such as using a ladder to access a flat roof etc, or using the long pole to reach a roof velux.

For these, it wasn’t the money but the hassle and the danger. So I just told them that my insurance company would not cover work at height anymore/ veluxes above 3 metres/ any other random thing I didn’t like.

They all accepted it gracefully.

As for dumping ones that you just don’t like, just tell them you aren’t covering their area anymore.

[then if they see you working nearby and question it, simply say “yes I meant the area of your house”]

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 08:53:46 pm »
Probably best to let them know if you have loads of them.

You can always block them as soon as you've text them saves an argument.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 09:40:12 am »
Never sold work and to be honest don't want the aggravation. Also not sure who would be interested as its such poor work.

Sell them and be honest about the quality. At the right price, a beginner will take them on as it's at least a start.

Vin

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 07:40:46 pm »

Sell them and be honest about the quality. At the right price, a beginner will take them on as it's at least a start.

Vin

This is good advice.....

I did this many years ago....i got £1200 for a small,underpriced round which was fantastic for me as it freed up some time to concentrate on better work in my chosen area...👍
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 03:59:16 pm »
After 12 years, all my customers are pretty good, but I am getting rid of the larger, more awkward ones, as I'm coming up to 60 years old.
Luckily, at my age, something hurts, aches or creaks, so I just text my customers to say that I am cutting down on my workload due to health reasons and would they like my friend Daniel to take over from me.
My window cleaner mate 'Dirty Dan' gets a new customer, I get a drink and it's happy days.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 04:37:25 pm »
After 12 years, all my customers are pretty good, but I am getting rid of the larger, more awkward ones, as I'm coming up to 60 years old.
Luckily, at my age, something hurts, aches or creaks, so I just text my customers to say that I am cutting down on my workload due to health reasons and would they like my friend Daniel to take over from me.
My window cleaner mate 'Dirty Dan' gets a new customer, I get a drink and it's happy days.

Why does it matter how fat they are?
It's a game of three halves!

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2023, 08:14:56 am »
I've had to stop cleaning for an elderly customer recently.shes losing her mind now her husband's died,never got any money(or she doesn't know where it is)cards don't work and she can't remember her PIN number.....

Sad end to a long life...... :(
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 08:37:44 am »
Her husbands died she’s having a bad time what an end to her life as you say,put the final nail in Daz by dropping her coz she’s old and never got any cash on her lol your all heart m8.

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 11:25:14 am »

I dropped one a while ago as she waited till I had finished then disappeared to go find some money. 10 minutes I waited with the front door wide open. In the end I just left it and never went back.

Bless em

deeege

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 12:22:14 pm »
I've had to stop cleaning for an elderly customer recently.shes losing her mind now her husband's died,never got any money(or she doesn't know where it is)cards don't work and she can't remember her PIN number.....

Sad end to a long life...... :(

That’s the spirit Daz, nothing more than a headache those old ones  :o
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Slacky

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2023, 01:03:10 pm »
Especially the ones that fought in the Second World War. They were all ‘me me me…’ back in the day.

Bungle

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2023, 05:12:51 pm »
Getting rid of customers? Just be curt like me. Tell them a few home truths and you'll soon end up with less  ;D
We look at them, they look through them.