This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonny 87

Re: Been struggling with the rain this week ?
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2023, 08:19:08 am »
First week back and I haven’t lost any days yet. Even in Scotland. 😁

Hot water, rain gear, and cracking on.

I work faster in the rain so it’s actually been a very profitable week so far.  :D
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 08:38:06 am »
Another few days lost to the rain another week or 2 lost to the snow you’ll soon find out why they all go out in all weathers Stoots.

Bad weather is bad weather - no residential cleaning if its raining - day off, no stress

Darran

Really?we have many days here in the north west where it rains on and off during the day...surely your staff just crack on unless it's really bad and prolonged heavy rain like last tuesday?
price higher/work harder!

Smudger

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2023, 02:16:22 pm »
Very few days here where it rains all day - if forecast and raining heavy at 8 then we don’t go out - if it’s showers then they go out during the rain periods they take a break until it passes

If your paying a salary then that’s not so different from me - your guys would love just work extra here and there to catch up

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2023, 04:06:15 pm »
Surprised people don't pay their staff when it's bad weather. I was planning on paying mine a fixed salary no matter what, its only right isn't it ?

I honestly thought it would be hard to find someone who would accept 3 or 4 days pay a week rather than 5 or potentially zero it's something to consider though the odd day is fine but a week would stress me out .

I am of the same thinking m8 but it’s been costing me a fortune I am going to rethink things I’ve been paying regardless of being off with weather and sickness etc,those 2 things have already cost me 1000s.
I have always said they should be paid no matter the weather etc but it’s been a joke tbh I will no longer pay someone to sit at home,I’m having to earn a lot of money after wages and fuel before I can put the kettle on 😂 it’s not gonna continue.

Stoots

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2023, 07:43:41 pm »
Surprised people don't pay their staff when it's bad weather. I was planning on paying mine a fixed salary no matter what, its only right isn't it ?

I honestly thought it would be hard to find someone who would accept 3 or 4 days pay a week rather than 5 or potentially zero it's something to consider though the odd day is fine but a week would stress me out .

I am of the same thinking m8 but it’s been costing me a fortune I am going to rethink things I’ve been paying regardless of being off with weather and sickness etc,those 2 things have already cost me 1000s.
I have always said they should be paid no matter the weather etc but it’s been a joke tbh I will no longer pay someone to sit at home,I’m having to earn a lot of money after wages and fuel before I can put the kettle on 😂 it’s not gonna continue.

haha whys its so hard to employ 😂  before i tried i just thought sling someone in a van and sit back and count the money.  Couldnt be further from the truth absolute ball ache 😂

Splash & dash

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2023, 07:46:51 pm »

haha whys its so hard to employ 😂  before i tried i just thought sling someone in a van and sit back and count the money.  Couldnt be further from the truth absolute ball ache 😂

Get the right staff and it’s very good , get poor staff and it’s a nightmare, that’s the key to successfully employing

Ggh

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2023, 07:51:38 pm »

What if there’s ten of them?
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Splash & dash

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2023, 08:10:48 pm »

Then you should have a larger cushion of money in the bank from the good times to pay out in the bad , it’s all part of business  planning

Smudger

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2023, 08:57:21 pm »
It’s a two street you need good employees and a good employer

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2023, 10:20:22 pm »

Why are you employing someone in the first place Nigel?get rid and do it yourself....you'll be far happier and much less stress....you already know this!

Slacky

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2023, 12:24:50 am »

Economy of scale. Having 10 of them shouldn’t be a reason/excuse.

Ggh

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2023, 11:21:32 am »
 ;DDon’t forget they’re accruing holidays, while ‘frozen’ off work!

As Darran said, it’s a two way street , you need a good relationship and understanding between employer and employee.
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Spruce

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2023, 07:58:37 am »
A local window cleaning business recently advertised for a window cleaner.
The advert noted that candidates must be prepared to work on the rain.

A couple of weeks ago they had a van in our area.. It was chucking it down with rain along with strong winds and these guys were out cleaning windows.

I must be going soft in my old age as I didn't work that day.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2023, 09:06:11 am »
My customers wouldn’t put up with it.

dazmond

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2023, 09:11:21 am »
My customers wouldn’t put up with it.

That old chestnut.....of course they will! just keep turning up in the rain and most don't bat an eyelid after a few years.any that do just miss them out.its much better than losing a full day's money.

NWH

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2023, 10:39:32 am »
No they won’t Daz if the day is going to shower on and off then of course I’ll sit it out and work between the rain,I never turn up in the rain and start work the only time I’ll ever do this is obviously if it’s insides or a big conny-greenhouse wash down.

Stoots

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2023, 11:44:56 am »
No they won’t Daz if the day is going to shower on and off then of course I’ll sit it out and work between the rain,I never turn up in the rain and start work the only time I’ll ever do this is obviously if it’s insides or a big conny-greenhouse wash down.

That must be the downside of having big posh houses. They dictate when you work to some extent.

My model is the opposite lots of small houses. Stack em high, if one cancels due to rain get another one.

NWH

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2023, 12:40:31 pm »
It swings about Stoots I can have a couple of days off and make up for it by bringing stuff forward etc or bigger stuff that’s due,i can see why you’d need to work in the rain if you employ but even then there’s a point with the weather that I won’t work.

DJW

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2023, 01:15:00 pm »
It’s not so much training customers it’s whether I want to work in the pouring rain dressed like a North Sea fisherman with pink wellies.

Not worked in the rain since 2007 and haven’t starved yet 🙂

NWH

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2023, 03:34:18 pm »
If you work alone you shouldn’t ever need to get a drop of rain on you if you’ve sorted decent work out over the years.