This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ben Brooks

Used van system or install new system in empty van
« on: December 26, 2022, 11:31:27 am »
I'm thinking about starting up as a window cleaner.

What do most people do when starting out? Get a used van that's ready to go with a pre installed system or get a used van and retro fit a new wfp system?

How much does it normally cost for a decent company to install a wfp system with a 500L tank?

Many thanks
Ben

Smudger

Re: Used van system or install new system in empty van
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 11:40:34 am »
personally I'd find a decent van and build my own system in it.

When looking, vans with systems in are so overpriced its scary - convenient yes, but the van itself seems to have been well used and usually damaged/rusty or the system is some make shift pile of poo...

that not to say a good one will pop up but as I say pay through the nose and when starting up you need to save every penny

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

DJW

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 11:57:52 am »
Do a bit of research and you’ll find it can be a very simple system to set up yourself. You want your initial start up costs to be as low as possible.
You could struggle to get work or might not enjoy it anyway.
Depends on how much you are willing to spend/risk.

windowswashed

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 02:39:26 pm »
If you set one up yourself then you will have the benefit of knowing how it works from top to bottom so when things go wrong you can repair it on the spot.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 03:08:08 pm »
Agree - you won't be on this forum asking how to change a fuse/washer/pipe on your 5.5K system  ;D

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 04:21:01 pm »
You have mentioned a van and system, how are you going to go about getting customers? That is the most important part.

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 04:31:34 pm »
You have mentioned a van and system, how are you going to go about getting customers? That is the most important part.

It's the old conundrum. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Nowadays, it's not like it was 20 years ago, when the investment in window cleaning equipment was small. Now, the o/p should be further along in his quest to become a window cleaner than just thinking about it. No offence meant, it's just doing his due diligence.

A quick phone call to Purefreedom or Grippatank or Xline will get a ballpark system price and a fitting price.

Becoming a window cleaner and investing in the right equipment needs commitment. It also needs capital because the o/p isn't going to earn a living out of cleaning windows from day one.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Ben Brooks

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 04:36:04 pm »
Do a bit of research and you’ll find it can be a very simple system to set up yourself. You want your initial start up costs to be as low as possible.
You could struggle to get work or might not enjoy it anyway.
Depends on how much you are willing to spend/risk.

Have you got any recommendations on systems? And is it worth buying a used one or is new the way to go?

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 06:39:47 pm »
I got customers first - did everything trad for six months until I’d saved up £1k to buy a Vauxhall combo with a diy tank - pump and brodex 18 ft pole - the pole was a freebee extra🤪

And the tank started leaking after a few weeks

Darran

DJW

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 06:56:04 pm »
I looked at a brand new van and system from Concept20, had a demo in the Malverns then went home, sat down and had a think.
At the time I would be parting with in excess of £30k with not a single customer.
Bought a second hand van, built my own system and off I went door knocking. Probably took two years before the round settled and the snowballing really went wild.
These days I don’t have a website or landline and very rarely accept new work.
Dumped a few well paid commercial jobs simply because I didn’t like the management companies. Or the attitude of flat residents.

Ben Brooks

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 10:08:52 pm »
I've got £4-£5k saved. I'm a postman so I know virtually everyone in a few villages and I know they need a window cleaner.
Was intending to do a few jobs after work until I can go part time and when I've got enough customers I'll quit the day job.

The real conundrum for me is how to go about the van set up...

Anyone got any recommendations for wfp setup companies to look at?

NWH

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2022, 10:18:41 pm »
Learn how to clean windows first both ways.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2022, 10:39:24 pm »
My tuppenceworth, for what it’s worth:

Firstly, I don’t agree that you need to know how to clean windows the traditional way. I would forget that and focus only on water fed pole. If a job comes up that requires traditional (extremely rare these days) just decline it.

Secondly, and this may be a bit against the grain, but I would NOT mess about trying to cobble together a system for cheap. Sure it would be a steep learning curve, but I did something similar, and my conclusion is that I would have saved myself a lot of time, trouble and even money by just buying a ready-made professional system that worked perfectly straight away. (This is what I now have)

I don’t even think it would cost more, especially when you factor in your own time.

My own system is from Pure2o, which is part of Ionics, and really top quality. I think it cost £3,700 including fitting (700 litre). They also have reconditioned ones for sale which are cheaper still.

I think a single operator would need at least a 400 litre tank, so that means a small-to-medium van (such as vw caddy or similar).

Lastly, I would never buy a van and system like this outright with cash. Finance it over 3 or 5 years via a personal loan or asset finance company like Kennet.

Good luck!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2022, 11:01:54 pm »
It would help if you could supply your source water TDS or location to try and determine whether you need a di only or ro system. If you are on a soft water area and don't require an ro then you can easily fit your own van system.
Comfortably Numb!

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2022, 11:12:38 pm »
Depends on your budget

If I was starting out I would probably buy a tank and a cage with a new pump, controller, battery, manual reel. This would probably cost about £1000 new or less than 500 quid second hand.

That would be just as good as any "system".  With such things you are paying for convenience and aesthetics that's all its doesn't do anything different.

As for new or second hand, you may as well buy a new pump, controller and battery as these are the parts that will wear. A tank and reel may as well be bought second hand if budget is a concern.

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 12:32:01 am »
Buy new on it all - but DIY is best - £3700 for a new starter  ::)roll - why not blow his complete budget...

Winpro has a good point - what's your water TDS ?

here's a tip - see how many people you can actually sign up before thinking everyone needs/wants a windy - many a time ive picked up a job for the custard to tell be the village has no one cleaning the windows and its been years since they were last done - start knocking the street to find they DO have a windy and not only that 2 different ones live within 100 meters of the job I just picked up.

perception is dangerous !

Darran

NWH

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2022, 12:54:14 am »
I still say you need to know how to clean windows traditionally for you to be a far better all round WFPoler,I’ve had the how hard can it be WFPolers come out with me that have told me they’ve been doing it 2-3 years only to find out they are S**T and haven’t got a clue what a clean window looks like from the ground trust me. 

james peters

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2022, 09:33:57 am »
I've got £4-£5k saved. I'm a postman so I know virtually everyone in a few villages and I know they need a window cleaner.
Was intending to do a few jobs after work until I can go part time and when I've got enough customers I'll quit the day job.

The real conundrum for me is how to go about the van set up...

Anyone got any recommendations for wfp setup companies to look at?

Here is some advice ..... Never rely on people  telling you they want a window cleaner.  until someone has had their windows cleaned for at least 6 months to a year without out skipping a clean and without paying late they cant be counted as  a good customer.
sometimes people will say that they cant find a reliable window cleaner.    In reality, the truth is that window cleaners have called and found them to be unreliable as customers and have stopped calling.

If you are going to be doing other services such as gutters and fascias which I would recommend whilst you are growing, you will need a back pack.
to start out you could work with a back pack 25 litre barells or a tank in the van with a transfer pump to fill the back pack.

as has been mentioned , once you know the tds of your water it will be easier to decide the way to go
there are some good chanels on youtube  .... try A E Mackintosh , he has lots of videos about starting

good luck

NWH

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2022, 09:46:28 am »
My window cleaner just stopped calling lol yeah heard that one a few times,due to the fact they don’t how the process works from calling then cleaning and then getting paid.
Lots of people like the idea of having a window cleaner but don’t fancy paying for it for 12 months of the year,especially at the moment.

Stoots

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2022, 10:24:50 am »
Yes please don't fall for the if you clean my house cheap the whole street will want them doing line.

Heard a few of them over the years   :D

You also have to be prepared to go though enormous amounts of dross when starting out, especially if you are canvassing, probably 30 percent will go on to be decent long term customers the rest will mess you about, skip cleans, not pay etc .

Buying the right equipment is the easy part cleaning 50 first cleans in a week of ping down rain to have half of them mess you about and still have the drive to go get another 50 the following week is the real challenge.