van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

andycap

Matching an under cutter
« on: September 24, 2022, 08:58:14 am »
Guys help please,tiny rural village I do and I do about a dozen decently priced houses have done for about 8 years or so,£20 and £30 properties on a 8 weekly.
This past few days had 4 messages from 4 off them seeing if I could match a new price given by someone?
Eg Half price on all pretty much, £30 on offer for £16 etc..for a six week visit as opposed to my 8 week..customers have all messaged me saying we love your service etc etc but can you match price..on the first I said no my price is my price..I now have 3 others pretty much asking the same...bit of a dilemma but my head says would I want to do them all for half the price to keep the work😧no...
I only have a small one man round anyway but this would be a little bit of a blow on top of  a few miss me this time brigade..any pointers from experience appreciated 👍

SB Cleaning

Re: Matching an under cutter
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 09:03:12 am »
Definitely don't match the price, if you lose customers over it then they weren't worth having in the first place.

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 09:45:32 am »
I know the feeling and have had it before a few times.

A customer of mine recently moved.  A few months later she messaged me for a quote. I gave her the price, she then responded by saying ok thanks I have 2 more quotes I am waiting to get back to me so will let you know this week.

Totally put me off,  told her to go with one of the other guys was no longer interested.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 10:22:26 am »
At the end of the day you can’t blame the other window cleaners although it’s hard not to get frustrated,if they choose to go with them for half the price it’s their decision.
I had one a couple of months ago the husband called me he’s been at home more I know the wife wouldn’t have made the decision,he said to me we’ve had someone say they can clean them for 30 and you charge 47 I said it’s due to go up so it’ll be 49  because I knew what was coming lol.
They’ve been with me for about 20 years and had what I thought developed a good relationship with them,it’s well worth what I was charging stand alone 2 floors round the front 3-4 floors round the back as the house drops away today I’d quote closer to 65-70 so he can have it.
Think of all the jobs getting cleaned for basically what you’d pay at least 30 years ago good luck to them it’s not even cash in hand either these days.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 11:03:24 am »
Questions to ask:

Are they worth doing at the lower price?
Danger is, drop that amount and you like you’ve been overcharging
I would bite the bullet and keep my price but point out your pro’s - quality- reliability - insured - local etc
Point out the cons of new guy - no track record most likely to stop I a few months etc

Wish them the best if they leave but make it clear they are welcome back

NWH - lol -  no sentiment in buisness mate - your just a hired hand paid to wash glass

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 11:23:28 am »
I agree Darren  if they want to go with these companies that put a price on leaflets ie 23-27 notes for a big detached house they can do lol,I also agree I would never drop down as you say they would think you’d been rinsing em all along.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 11:26:53 am »
Guys help please,tiny rural village I do and I do about a dozen decently priced houses have done for about 8 years or so,£20 and £30 properties on a 8 weekly.
This past few days had 4 messages from 4 off them seeing if I could match a new price given by someone?
Eg Half price on all pretty much, £30 on offer for £16 etc..for a six week visit as opposed to my 8 week..customers have all messaged me saying we love your service etc etc but can you match price..on the first I said no my price is my price..I now have 3 others pretty much asking the same...bit of a dilemma but my head says would I want to do them all for half the price to keep the work😧no...
I only have a small one man round anyway but this would be a little bit of a blow on top of  a few miss me this time brigade..any pointers from experience appreciated 👍

The yearly amount they will pay isn't half price. £16 x 8 cleans = £128 against £30 x 6 cleans = £180.
It's a game of three halves!

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 12:06:55 pm »
In a rural village, everyone knows everyone and news travels fast.
Are they just trying it on en-mass?

We had this happen.
"We prefer you to continue to clean our windows, but match this price."
"No, sorry, I can't. Thank you for your previous custom."
I doubt there was another quote, as their windows just got more dirty over time.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Shrek

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 12:13:00 pm »
Definitely don’t match the price, imagine how you would feel cleaning them for £16 instead of £30. It would do my head in before I even opened the van and started cleaning. Time to move on , get some more work, if they are willing to sack you after 8 years , imo I’d say there’s definitely a good chance of them sacking you on the next price increase in the future.

NWH

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 12:15:48 pm »
You are admitting you were over charging already if you did carry on that’s obvious why would you.

james peters

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 12:23:37 pm »
Definitely don't match the price, if you lose customers over it then they weren't worth having in the first place.

This. and its likely the other window cleaner is a start up.   whoever they are they will soon realise that the price isnt sustainable .
they wont be able to increase the price enough to make it work and will just stop calling.
just keep calling to the ones that are happy, and maybe leaflet some of the ones close by to replace the penny pinchers

NBwcs

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022, 12:47:38 pm »
If you do you'll always begrudge doing them, and the rest of the village will quite probably be networking with each other and there could well be more requests to reduce the price. Its difficult when your still growing your round but try and stand firm, all business needs to be on your terms not the customers.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2022, 01:01:29 pm »
They aren’t always new start ups that’s the thing the guy I was talking about has been WFP and cleaning windows for years that’s doing my old 47 job for 30,good luck to him like I say if I was quoting for it today it would be more like 70.

richard connett

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2022, 01:04:06 pm »
My first reaction would be to say no way but if you stand to lose quite a few maybe drop down £2 and say it’s the best you can do . Maybe some of them are looking for a little reduction
Tough one maybe time to start a little canvassing again

andycap

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2022, 01:28:59 pm »
You are admitting you were over charging already if you did carry on that’s obvious why would you.

Exactly my thoughts..

tlwcs

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2022, 01:36:22 pm »
Sadly, this is a race to the bottom.
Also, it could be the way things go. We all have 1 eye on how many we may lose in the next 12 months but it also throws up people topping up their income at prices they think are good. The customers are also looking to save a little.
I think this will become a problem.
I would explain, like everyone else has pointed out about your faultless 8 year service, the quality or your clean and how quickly 6 weeks come round. I would also say they are only topping up their income
People normally buy people, if they like you they most probably will stay with you.
I wouldn’t match the price.
Good luck

Bungle

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2022, 03:23:49 pm »
Tell them you'll match the price and never go back. They've then lost 2 window cleaners. If further down the line they contact you to ask why you haven't been tell them you've had a change of heart and can't do them at the lower price. Find out who the other window cleaner is and have a word in his shell like too.

These people who spend £1,000's on extensions etc and try and scrimp on the window cleaner are tw&ts too.

Possibly time to broaden your area of work?
We look at them, they look through them.

Splash & dash

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2022, 04:08:44 pm »
Never reduce your prices , I would laugh thank them for their custom and walk away , when they phone up in 6 months asking you to go back as the guy hasn’t turned up or done a poor job the answer is always  sorry someone who appreciates our service has had your slot , 👏

deeege

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2022, 04:54:05 pm »
Race to the bottom. Stand your ground but remind them that you provide a regular, reliable honest service.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

andycap

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2022, 06:53:21 pm »
Guys thanks for all the advice/feedback..going to have to take it on the chin😩 however as it stands I still have work there at the moment 🤞 but my personality is a bit confrontational so words will be had when
Our paths cross...professionally of course 😳