van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Amazin

Public liability claim, is it worth it?
« on: September 07, 2022, 12:11:38 pm »
Anybody here ever claimed anything off your public liability insurance? I paid roughly £75-95 per year for the past 5-6 years via Aplan (never claimed anything). Now I've caused some damages on someone's carpet, they managed to get a quote to replace it for £607.17. (VAT, fittings included). Aplan advised me to rethink about it because it's probably not worth it. They couldn't tell me how much it could go up by if I go for the claim. Is it worth it?

NBwcs

Re: Public liability claim, is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 12:19:36 pm »
Anybody here ever claimed anything off your public liability insurance? I paid roughly £75-95 per year for the past 5-6 years via Aplan (never claimed anything). Now I've caused some damages on someone's carpet, they managed to get a quote to replace it for £607.17. (VAT, fittings included). Aplan advised me to rethink about it because it's probably not worth it. They couldn't tell me how much it could go up by if I go for the claim. Is it worth it?

Absolute cowboys, insurance companies make my blood boil. If its not viable to claim for £600 you may as well setup an emergency fund yourself. On a completely different tangent, I have pet insurance and have had to make a couple of claims over the last ten years for which I'm now paying through the nose, I've paid out way more in new contributions than I actually claimed for.  :'(

Ascjim

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 01:08:23 pm »
Claimed on Gleaming about 7-8 times over the years, they always sort it with no issues.

Granny

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 01:13:24 pm »
Insurance don't get me started!
They give you an umbrella  when the Sun is shining and take it off you when it's raining.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 02:38:01 pm »

Absolute cowboys, insurance companies make my blood boil. If its not viable to claim for £600 you may as well setup an emergency fund yourself. On a completely different tangent, I have pet insurance and have had to make a couple of claims over the last ten years for which I'm now paying through the nose, I've paid out way more in new contributions than I actually claimed for.  :'(
If the excess is £100 or less I would claim.
I used A - plan for a lot of insurance, - landlord's buildings,  personal buildings and contents, private car and motor bike but this year I've changed a couple of policies away from them due to price hikes.

There is no reason a good broker should not be able to tell you what you would pay next year for making a relatively minor claim.

It's all smiles when you buy and all sucking teeth when you claim.
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 02:39:03 pm »
I wouldn’t claim for that amount I’d just pay it to the customer I pay insurance for the big claims if you are unfortunate enough to have one.

Ggh

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 04:58:45 pm »
Had a van broken into in the spring. Made a claim. All my policies are sky high now.
numptys.
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 06:14:44 pm »

Ime guessing your excess will be £250 ? So I wouldn’t claim off the insurance  myself I would pay the lot and be more careful next time 😂😂

NBwcs

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 06:56:53 pm »
Out of interest ,what damage to the carpet did you cause and how? Its only pure water, every time you use a vax the carpet gets wet through.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 07:13:28 pm »
I had a £530 damage to pay a few years ago, excess was £250.

My broker said the premium would probably not be affected, so I claimed, saving me £280.

The next year, my premium went DOWN not up.

That was Alexander Swan

NBwcs

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 07:17:27 pm »
Claimed on Gleaming about 7-8 times over the years, they always sort it with no issues.

That's encouraging, I'm with them.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 07:28:37 pm »
Pointless imo claiming for anything like that amount the agro and the increase in premium isn’t worth bothering with,same with van and car insurance unless you’re talking a lot of money you are better off sorting it obviously only if it’s you’re fault.

Amazin

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 02:52:09 pm »
Pointless imo claiming for anything like that amount the agro and the increase in premium isn’t worth bothering with,same with van and car insurance unless you’re talking a lot of money you are better off sorting it obviously only if it’s you’re fault.

The problem is that I have been with Aplan for 7 years and never claimed anything from Public liability insurance. what is the point of keep paying for something if I will never use it?

Ime guessing your excess will be £250 ? So I wouldn’t claim off the insurance  myself I would pay the lot and be more careful next time 😂😂

Spot on, so only £358 for them so it shouldn't go up by much and they did mention that on the phone when I asked about it. They couldn't tell me exactly by how much.

My broker said the premium would probably not be affected, so I claimed, saving me £280.

The next year, my premium went DOWN not up.

wow

NWH

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 06:17:37 pm »
Its there if you need it but I’d take a couple of grand excess if I could because I wouldn’t bother claiming for small amounts,damage a bit of carpet or break a couple of tiles etc it’s just not worth claiming for and the paperwork and increase in the policy.
What are you gonna do cause 6-700 quids worth of damage pay 250 excess and put a claim in lol,is it just me or does that sound daft.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 11:20:39 pm »
Its there if you need it but I’d take a couple of grand excess if I could because I wouldn’t bother claiming for small amounts,damage a bit of carpet or break a couple of tiles etc it’s just not worth claiming for and the paperwork and increase in the policy.
What are you gonna do cause 6-700 quids worth of damage pay 250 excess and put a claim in lol,is it just me or does that sound daft.
It's just you.

For my claim (£530 with £250 excess), I called the broker, gave the details and they handled the rest.  They contacted the customer, customer arranged the repair and the insurer paid the contractor directly.  There was no paperwork, just a phonecall that took about 20 minutes.

Premiums didn't go up (they went down) and the claim saved me £280 for a 20 minute phone call.

Once again, you are proving to be the fountain of all twaddle.

mike1986

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 08:22:41 pm »
If you’ve already told them about the incident it might be worth claiming. I had my van stolen about 8 years ago as I left my keys in the ingnition (dumb move I know)

I called the insurance company and they said I would not be covered as it was my fault, however I still had to declare the incident on my insurance for the next 5 years, even though I never actually made a claim!! My insurance went up as a result as well.

Not sure if the same applies with public liability but as you’ve admitted that you have caused damage it may stay in your file and affect your premium anyway.

Probably worth checking

NWH

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 09:13:57 pm »
It's just you.

For my claim (£530 with £250 excess), I called the broker, gave the details and they handled the rest.  They contacted the customer, customer arranged the repair and the insurer paid the contractor directly.  There was no paperwork, just a phonecall that took about 20 minutes.

Premiums didn't go up (they went down) and the claim saved me £280 for a 20 minute phone call.

You better get all you’re work up to date before Christmas 🤶 don’t forget you’ve got Panto for 3/4 months playing Scrooge lol 😂,cor  blimey I’ve met some tight people I would have just gone down to the nearest cash point given them the cash and got a receipt.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 11:23:34 pm »
It's just you.

You better get all you’re work up to date before Christmas 🤶 don’t forget you’ve got Panto for 3/4 months playing Scrooge lol 😂,cor  blimey I’ve met some tight people I would have just gone down to the nearest cash point given them the cash and got a receipt.

What a foolish post. Twaddle.
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2022, 12:19:50 am »
it was all nice and polite when his RO system wasn't working......

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and in some cases paying out without going through insurance is the better option

but there better ways to express it rather than trying to make other look like a tw@t...

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 10:27:44 am »
Not trying to make anyone look bad simply saying that if you put claims in for pitiful amounts don’t come crying when you’re policy’s increase,the person down the other end of the phone must have been biting their knuckles taking down the details of that one.