This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Banks

Making Tax Digital - Compulsory from 2024
« on: July 08, 2022, 02:35:28 pm »
Okay who will find this easier and who thinks its going to be more work.   Is it another cost for us to use these apps?

I don't think I will stop  using spreadsheets so will be more work for me,  and for my accounts,  I wonder what apps are best for our business and will be suitable for simple one man band accounts to submit quarterly.

SB Cleaning

Re: Making Tax Digital - Compulsory from 2024
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 04:00:03 pm »
I will let my accountant worry about it.

Ascjim

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 05:18:37 pm »
We have been digtal for years, just easier then having loads of paper receipts etc hanging about.

simon w

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 06:10:57 pm »
Only something to worry about if you do your own tax return. If you use an accountant they'll be digital. 

Perfect Windows

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 09:32:30 pm »
Okay who will find this easier and who thinks its going to be more work.   Is it another cost for us to use these apps?

I don't think I will stop  using spreadsheets so will be more work for me,  and for my accounts,  I wonder what apps are best for our business and will be suitable for simple one man band accounts to submit quarterly.

When MTD was started for VAT registered businesses, plenty of simple solutions appeared. The one we used asked for a (voluntary) £5 donation  for the programmer's son's scout troop.  I would work out the figures manually then pop them into his spreadsheet which submitted automatically.

If you keep your eyes open there will be similar, I'm sure.

Vin

G Griffin

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 10:55:50 pm »

When MTD was started for VAT registered businesses, plenty of simple solutions appeared. The one we used asked for a (voluntary) £5 donation  for the programmer's son's scout troop.  I would work out the figures manually then pop them into his spreadsheet which submitted automatically.

If you keep your eyes open there will be similar, I'm sure.

Vin
A digital watch?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

CleanClear

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 11:14:42 pm »
Only something to worry about if you do your own tax return. If you use an accountant they'll be digital.

Thats not true Simon by any measure. I submit my own accounts without an accountant via HMRC website, as i'd imagine many do here. I'm a sole trader, no employees. I use Aworka to monitor my jobs and accounts/expenses. As far as i am aware it does not have a facility to reconcile bank payments with invoices, nor has an interface to produce something that will satisfy HMRC need to keep and submit digital records. I may be wrong, but what i will do is email Chris @ Aworka to ask that very question.

If you use an accountant? Well they are as digital as me, and the next guy who submits like me..................... In practice, this is what accountants are sending out......... Its lengthy.............

Dear Client         

MAKING TAX DIGITAL FOR INCOME TAX

As you may or may not be aware, HMRC have introduced their “making tax digital” regime (MTD). This requires businesses to keep digital records and submit information via compatible software. Currently this has only been required for VAT registered businesses submitting their VAT returns. However from 6 April 2024, all self employed businesses with annual turnover over £10K or tax payers with annual rental income over £10K will fall into MTD for income tax.

This requires tax payers them to report on their income and submit to HMRC quarterly with two further returns (end of period submission and final declaration). These submission cannot be done by paper and have to be completed via compatible software.

The main providers of this software are:

QuickBooks
    Xero
    Sage

But there are others available.

You can make these submissions yourself via the software.

We can also provide QuickBooks software for you at a discounted price to what is available online. We currently have licenses available for QuickBooks online pus for £10 plus VAT per month.

We will provide training for QuickBooks in the next few months for interested clients. We will also provide material to help starting to use QuickBooks and register for online training by QuickBooks themselves.

Youi will not be required to make your first submission to HMRC till after the first quarter ended 5 July 2024 and will be due by 5 August 2024 but please note that penalties may be issued for non-submission or late submissions.

If you are possibly interested in taking up the offer of the software or training in QuickBooks, please let Tom know at the office so we can book you place on our first session.

Kind regards

My mate who got that email pays £50 per month accountancy fees. He rung up and asked if he doesn't want to bother doing that himself, will they do it for him? He was told, yes they will......... they do not envisage much extra cost. But it will be 10 pence per transaction / invoice to process.

Well anyone can do their own maths and work out how many transactions you have for them to process. They did say its early days yet and they are not sure. That transaction cost would probably also incur VAT too.

A quick Google about showed me some free software that maybe applicable/appropriate for a sole /small trader like me, as i'm a mingebag.

Crunch:

https://www.crunch.co.uk/pricing#compare-packages-ST

Sunrise:

https://hprc.lendio.com/small-business-software/pricing/

Either way, 2024 seems like a long way off. But come then you'll need to hit the ground running. We've just over a year to get ready.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 11:45:24 am »

Thats not true Simon by any measure. I submit my own accounts without an accountant via HMRC website, as i'd imagine many do here. I'm a sole trader, no employees. I use Aworka to monitor my jobs and accounts/expenses. As far as i am aware it does not have a facility to reconcile bank payments with invoices, nor has an interface to produce something that will satisfy HMRC need to keep and submit digital records. I may be wrong, but what i will do is email Chris @ Aworka to ask that very question.

If you use an accountant? Well they are as digital as me, and the next guy who submits like me..................... In practice, this is what accountants are sending out......... Its lengthy.............

Dear Client         

MAKING TAX DIGITAL FOR INCOME TAX

As you may or may not be aware, HMRC have introduced their “making tax digital” regime (MTD). This requires businesses to keep digital records and submit information via compatible software. Currently this has only been required for VAT registered businesses submitting their VAT returns. However from 6 April 2024, all self employed businesses with annual turnover over £10K or tax payers with annual rental income over £10K will fall into MTD for income tax.

This requires tax payers them to report on their income and submit to HMRC quarterly with two further returns (end of period submission and final declaration). These submission cannot be done by paper and have to be completed via compatible software.

The main providers of this software are:

QuickBooks
    Xero
    Sage

But there are others available.

You can make these submissions yourself via the software.

We can also provide QuickBooks software for you at a discounted price to what is available online. We currently have licenses available for QuickBooks online pus for £10 plus VAT per month.

We will provide training for QuickBooks in the next few months for interested clients. We will also provide material to help starting to use QuickBooks and register for online training by QuickBooks themselves.

Youi will not be required to make your first submission to HMRC till after the first quarter ended 5 July 2024 and will be due by 5 August 2024 but please note that penalties may be issued for non-submission or late submissions.

If you are possibly interested in taking up the offer of the software or training in QuickBooks, please let Tom know at the office so we can book you place on our first session.

Kind regards

My mate who got that email pays £50 per month accountancy fees. He rung up and asked if he doesn't want to bother doing that himself, will they do it for him? He was told, yes they will......... they do not envisage much extra cost. But it will be 10 pence per transaction / invoice to process.

Well anyone can do their own maths and work out how many transactions you have for them to process. They did say its early days yet and they are not sure. That transaction cost would probably also incur VAT too.

A quick Google about showed me some free software that maybe applicable/appropriate for a sole /small trader like me, as i'm a mingebag.

Crunch:

https://www.crunch.co.uk/pricing#compare-packages-ST

Sunrise:

https://hprc.lendio.com/small-business-software/pricing/

Either way, 2024 seems like a long way off. But come then you'll need to hit the ground running. We've just over a year to get ready.

I've asked what windies are doing regarding MTD before and got very little response from the forum, probably because it's a future problem.

Personally, I use George, so I can easily get a total of cash sales for any given period (quarter).

My expenses are all done on an Excel spreadsheet as I use that to split expenses into business and private use. For example, my business self assessment tells me that 10% of my van's mileage falls under what HMRC classes as private use and hence not claimable against tax. So £100 of fuel means I claim £90 as a business expense.

I have different formulas set. My business self assessment is that the business element of my mobile phone bill is 50%.

At the moment, I'm in the process of setting my Expenses spreadsheet into 4 quarters, so I can report these by the quarter.

I've looked at the software available a while back and I noticed that Rhino has a free to use simple reporting software if you submit your tax return using the cash received accounting system. I do this anyway. What gets me is that we then have to pay £49.99 to submit the final declaration.

What concerns me is linking our bank deposits to payments received.  What happens if I pay cash for fuel from the money I receive from customers? That's not going into the bank. But I can identify what amount a quarter are cash and cheque receipts and what amounts come via credit transfer using a George report.

Another concern is that as a small sole trader, I'm using my personal bank account. Ideally, they want us to have a separate business bank account. When I checked with Natwest (who I bank with) they wanted £80 a month for the business transactions I did then for a business account. Back then I banked cash every week, perhaps 6 cheques a month and a few outgoings. Since covid, I bank probably once every 3 months.

Currently, I do my tax return myself using the HMRC's website. You tick boxes for other sources of income and expenses. Bank interest and charity payments are a couple of examples. I don't know how those are reported under the new system.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

CleanClear

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 02:00:12 pm »
Spruce my understanding is that individual "invoices" need to be listed. So for example instead of just producing a figure like £1k paid in bank and £1k paid in cash, you need to list them seperate jobs out ? I think thats hwy his accountant mentioned 10 pence to record each "invoice" ? I could probably do with watching one of the HMRC webinars about it.

Reading the small amount i have read about it, it seems anyone who is VAT registered is already reporting digitally anyway? You guys who are VAT registered do you report individual jobs or just your totals ?

CleanClear

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 02:20:08 pm »

I've asked what windies are doing regarding MTD before and got very little response from the forum, probably because it's a future problem.

I gotta be honest, its something i hadn't realised was going to affect us, but it now explains all them adverts on the TV for "Quickbooks" .

Soupy

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 03:32:52 pm »
Spruce my understanding is that individual "invoices" need to be listed. So for example instead of just producing a figure like £1k paid in bank and £1k paid in cash, you need to list them seperate jobs out ? I think thats hwy his accountant mentioned 10 pence to record each "invoice" ? I could probably do with watching one of the HMRC webinars about it.

Reading the small amount i have read about it, it seems anyone who is VAT registered is already reporting digitally anyway? You guys who are VAT registered do you report individual jobs or just your totals ?

Neither really.

I wouldn't worry. The current chancellor is a dodgy sort anyway.

dd

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 05:11:01 pm »
2024 is not far away. I think you need a pretty clear grasp of what is required and relevant accounting software in place in good time, or come the day you simply won't know what you are doing.

It would not surprise me if the government kick the can of MTD for sole traders further down the road.

Personally as a sole trader I am not at all clear on exactly what will be required of me. I will be 60 late 2024, so it may just hasten my retirement if I cannot be ar$ed.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 10:55:23 pm »

Just totals.

I've not been made aware of any changes or additions to our quarterly VAT return so I suspect it may well be the same thing, namely totals for turnover, purchases, etc. Not certain by any means but it would make sense as they are set up for that data for VAT.

Aworka currently does the job in about 15 seconds. When I did it manually and entered the figures through submission software it probably took 15-30 minutes per quarter.

Vin

CleanClear

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 11:23:28 pm »

Just totals.

I've not been made aware of any changes or additions to our quarterly VAT return so I suspect it may well be the same thing, namely totals for turnover, purchases, etc. Not certain by any means but it would make sense as they are set up for that data for VAT.

Aworka currently does the job in about 15 seconds. When I did it manually and entered the figures through submission software it probably took 15-30 minutes per quarter.

Vin

Just to be clear Vin (or anyone else), do you currently use Aworka to do that for you ? I ask as i see it is possible to use spreadsheets for the purpose, but they mention using "bridging software" to convert *XLS to whatever they accept. I use Aworka and as far as i can see, i can do what you say in a few seconds but it results in a *CSV file. I havn't emailed Aworka yet but i will do this week, before i do does anyone else use this to submit to HMRC digitally ?

CleanClear

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2022, 11:25:19 pm »
ref: above, if it was individual jobs we'd need to export every day, and file it for submission? Maybe i'm over thinking it?

Perfect Windows

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 06:14:14 am »
Yes, Aworka handles VAT returns. Hit a button, VAT return generated. Hit another, it's submitted.

If what HMRC are going to be looking for is a VAT return from all businesses then it's already handled. If not then there will be work for Chris at Aworka to do.

If you work in Excel then creating a VAT return is a simple job. Getting that into 'bridging software' will be trivial. As I said above, 15-30 minute trivial four times a year.

I'll say with absolute certainty that they aren't going to want details of every job you do.

Vin

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 08:08:42 am »
Yes, Aworka handles VAT returns. Hit a button, VAT return generated. Hit another, it's submitted.

If what HMRC are going to be looking for is a VAT return from all businesses then it's already handled. If not then there will be work for Chris at Aworka to do.

If you work in Excel then creating a VAT return is a simple job. Getting that into 'bridging software' will be trivial. As I said above, 15-30 minute trivial four times a year.

I'll say with absolute certainty that they aren't going to want details of every job you do.

Vin

When I read through the offerings, I also understood that it was just totals. For me, total cash (payments for work done in) and then total of expenses (business running costs).

The way I see it for me as a sole trader, I get to do the same thing 4 times a year rather than once, and I get to pay £50 for the privilege of submitting the final deceleration I did for nothing on the HMRC's website. Oh! I can claim back the £50 as a business expense.

Quickbooks and Sage are  accounting programs @cleanclear. They will want to sell that package to increase business sales. The way that's done is to offer training (sometimes free). People will buy what they know.

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 08:17:17 am »

Vin

I wonder how many people still submit their tax return in paper format. The first thing I thought about when MTD was being promoted was that this was HMRC's advanced notice of getting rid of the paper return, which makes sense in our day and age.

dd

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 11:43:45 am »
I use old fashioned paperwork to keep my business records but submit my tax return online.

From 2024 it seems I will be obligated to pay a monthly fee for some form of accounting software and pay £50 to submit my final declaration to HMRC once a year.

As a sole trader with a simple business it seems OTT. I already submit my yearly return online.

Will more detailed information be required on my quarterly accounts submission than I currently provide when I fill in my tax return?

Perfect Windows

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 12:45:54 pm »
As I've said before, there were plenty of free offerings to submit VAT returns. 100% free. Utterly free. No charge. Zero. I will be astounded if the same isn't true of this change.

This is the one I used before Aworka could do it:  https://www.comsci.co.uk/100PcVatFreeBridge.html - you'll note that it's free. Optional gift to charity.

There's no point moaning about a done deal. MTD is happening. Why moan? There is a cost-free solution to it. You'll lose between one hour and two hours a year doing it.

It's not worth making a mountain out of this particular molehill.

Vin