This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

James Styles

Non payers
« on: March 22, 2022, 05:22:43 pm »
Hi guys hope you are all good, how do you deal with non payers.
I have a few who owe £15.00, that’s not a big deal to me I just send a reminder every 7-10 days, if I don’t get it I will dump them.
I have one though which was a one off clean with conservatory roof for £60.00, they haven’t paid yet, it’s only been 4 days but I have a bad feeling they are not going to pay. I feel that for one off cleans I should ask for cash instead of bank transfer to stop this risk?
It’s irritating me as that job was very difficult, took almost 3 hours, I also think I underpriced it, should of been £80, either way with all that graft I put in I want the £60.
It’s not a small amount either like £10 or £15 I can take that on the chin.
I’m going to send a reminder after 7 days have passed but what should I do if they don’t pay up?
I’d knock on & carry on sending reminders but what else could I do.

Splash & dash

Re: Non payers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 05:40:52 pm »
I have a few who owe £15.00, that’s not a big deal to me I just send a reminder every 7-10 days, if I don’t get it I will dump them.
I have one though which was a one off clean with conservatory roof for £60.00, they haven’t paid yet, it’s only been 4 days but I have a bad feeling they are not going to pay. I feel that for one off cleans I should ask for cash instead of bank transfer to stop this risk?
It’s irritating me as that job was very difficult, took almost 3 hours, I also think I underpriced it, should of been £80, either way with all that graft I put in I want the £60.
I’m going to send a reminder after 7 days have passed but what should I do if they don’t pay up?

3 hours for £60  never worth doing in the first place , I think you need to times that by either 2 or 3 .

James Styles

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 05:45:08 pm »

3 hours for £60  never worth doing in the first place , I think you need to times that by either 2 or 3 .
Yeah tbh I underestimated the job, I thought would take 2 hours max, the roof was really bad plus the windows had some stubborn Staines, lesson learned, I just want to be paid for my work though I worked damn hard on that house.
I’m going to charge more for roof cleans from now on they are such a pain.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 05:52:38 pm »
Why do you think they won't pay?
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 06:02:47 pm »
It’s easy to criticise but at 2 hrs that’s well underpriced - having said that your prices are yours but as you can see you need to factor in no payers into your pricing

For me after a couple of reminders the debt is written off you spend way too much time chasing silly amounts when it an be spend more productively

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

James Styles

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 06:12:09 pm »
Why do you think they won't pay?
Just a feeling I have, the vibe got from them plus that they haven’t sent the money yet. Hopefully I’m wrong.

James Styles

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 06:15:26 pm »
It’s easy to criticise but at 2 hrs that’s well underpriced - having said that your prices are yours but as you can see you need to factor in no payers into your pricing

For me after a couple of reminders the debt is written off you spend way too much time chasing silly amounts when it an be spend more productively

Darran
Yeah to me £80 for two hours wouldn’t be bad but I did underprice it at £60 for sure, I’m still building my round but I am learning to go bit pricier, especially with costs going up.
I wouldn’t mind writing off £15.00 but for me £60 and the work I put in would be hard to swallow, it’s the cheek of it too.

Bungle

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 06:24:43 pm »
Learning curve and lesson learned hopefully. Regards non payment, don't jump the gun just yet. Leave it until a week has passed, that's ample time for them to get round to paying. Regards your other non payers, pester them until they get sick of you and then dump. You've done the job so you deserve to get paid. I can't understand those that let it go. If Sky came round and fitted a dish they'd be after their money no matter what so why shouldn't we?

I had a good customer up until last week. Been in my books for 5 years and all of a sudden he doesn't pay for 2 cleans. Numerous texts were sent plus a phone call. Texts never answered but phone call was and he promised to BACS payment. Payment never arrived so I went round to the house, knocked the door and he shat himself. He went back in the house in a fluster, couldn't find any cash. He said can you wait and I'll go to the cash point. No problem I'll wait I said. He owed £40 but gave me £50. The trust has gone now so he's dumped. I don't know why he's become a bad customer (ex).

To OP, chase any debts and don't write them off. You've earned it!
We look at them, they look through them.

Bungle

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 06:26:13 pm »

Darran
Yeah to me £80 for two hours wouldn’t be bad but I did underprice it at £60 for sure, I’m still building my round but I am learning to go bit pricier, especially with costs going up.
I wouldn’t mind writing off £15.00 but for me £60 and the work I put in would be hard to swallow, it’s the cheek of it too.

Some people can see that you're  inexperienced and play on it. Be confident.
We look at them, they look through them.

James Styles

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 06:38:53 pm »
Learning curve and lesson learned hopefully. Regards non payment, don't jump the gun just yet. Leave it until a week has passed, that's ample time for them to get round to paying. Regards your other non payers, pester them until they get sick of you and then dump. You've done the job so you deserve to get paid. I can't understand those that let it go. If Sky came round and fitted a dish they'd be after their money no matter what so why shouldn't we?

I had a good customer up until last week. Been in my books for 5 years and all of a sudden he doesn't pay for 2 cleans. Numerous texts were sent plus a phone call. Texts never answered but phone call was and he promised to BACS payment. Payment never arrived so I went round to the house, knocked the door and he shat himself. He went back in the house in a fluster, couldn't find any cash. He said can you wait and I'll go to the cash point. No problem I'll wait I said. He owed £40 but gave me £50. The trust has gone now so he's dumped. I don't know why he's become a bad customer (ex).

To OP, chase any debts and don't write them off. You've earned it!
I will keep pestering the other few who owe with payment reminders, I think even after they do pay I will dump them as it’s taken almost 2 months & about 4 reminders & they haven’t even replied.
I guess it’s something I’m gonna have to deal with while building. You are right though I’ve cleaned those houses so I will be keep on pestering for the money I’m owed.

james peters

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 06:42:38 pm »
always a good idea to use a card reader for one offs if they are home .
this is what i do . if they ask to pay bank transfer, I just say no need to as I have a card reader.

when starting out , its easy to underprice stuff, especialy if you need the work , so dont be to hard on yourself.
Its much easier to price with confidence once your schedule gets fuller  ;D

NBwcs

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 07:04:26 pm »
Might just be waiting till the end of the month to get paid.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 10:16:23 pm »
We ve all underpriced conny roof jobs before now...lesson learned there mate....for a one off conny roof clean that was really dirty(whos not a regular window cleaning customer)would be min £120 and be done in under 2 hours and I would fully expect to get paid there and then if they were in(I also have a card reader)or at least within 14 days after the clean if not...
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 10:24:39 pm »
I tend to chase them with reminders for a few months and then I just leave them till christmas and send them all a debt letter.

I must have lost about 2k in non payers since  I started lol. I've got 4 or 5 right now that Dont look like they want to pay.

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 08:10:17 am »
I tend to chase them with reminders for a few months and then I just leave them till christmas and send them all a debt letter.

I must have lost about 2k in non payers since  I started lol. I've got 4 or 5 right now that Dont look like they want to pay.

I've had to write off around £1500 in 29 years of window cleaning....

This year £20 up to now...usually its £50-£100 a year these days...

Amazin

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 08:21:46 am »
are you new to this game? One offs are worthless and useless. It is where all the bad payers, cheapskates gather. I stopped doing one offs 2 years ago and one of the best decisions ever. Don't forget to use Gocardless

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2022, 08:37:00 am »
are you new to this game? One offs are worthless and useless. It is where all the bad payers, cheapskates gather. I stopped doing one offs 2 years ago and one of the best decisions ever. Don't forget to use Gocardless

He is new if you d bothered to read his posts.....if you have a light work week one offs can be  OK if you charge a premium....I charge at least 50% more for one off add on jobs

NWH

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 09:26:05 am »

I agree.

NWH

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 09:27:52 am »
If you went round offering this and people knew you’d be snowed under for 6 months then off to bed with the hedgehogs 🦔 for another 6,even to start off with you want work that is regular start as you mean to go on. 

deeege

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 10:04:54 am »

He is new if you d bothered to read his posts.....if you have a light work week one offs can be  OK if you charge a premium....I charge at least 50% more for one off add on jobs

He’s been posting for over 3 years. Is 3 years still new?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."