van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jay moley

A couple of employment questions
« on: March 11, 2022, 12:57:29 pm »
I've made mistakes before with employing but trying to do it properly this time.

I have a lad at the moment that works with me but he won't be capable of going on his own, just doesn't have the common sense to make independent decisions etc, shame as he's a nice lad. Also I have to wait for him to get his driving licence and I haven't got time for that.

So the process I'm thinking of is:

1) Advert on Indeed, paid advert.
2) Initial phone interview/conversation if they look like a good prospect
3) Face-to Face interview
4) Half day working with me, mainly observing
5) One week trial
6) CRB check
7) 3 month trial, leading to 12 month probabtion

Not sure whether point 3 is necessary or whether its better ditching the phone call and just doing the face to face interview straight away?

Should the half day be paid? All I'm thinking of them doing is a few downstairs windows. I'm leaning towards no pay as I think it shows keaness.

Have I missed anything?

At what point would you give them branded clothing?

Thanks,

Jay

Richard iSparkle

Re: A couple of employment questions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 04:57:08 pm »
I've made mistakes before with employing but trying to do it properly this time.

I have a lad at the moment that works with me but he won't be capable of going on his own, just doesn't have the common sense to make independent decisions etc, shame as he's a nice lad. Also I have to wait for him to get his driving licence and I haven't got time for that.

5) One week trial
6) CRB check

Not sure whether point 3 is necessary or whether its better ditching the phone call and just doing the face to face interview straight away?

Should the half day be paid? All I'm thinking of them doing is a few downstairs windows. I'm leaning towards no pay as I think it shows keaness.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Jay

I’m just recruiting again now

I do

1. Paid advert indeed
2. Initial screen of applicants where I cut out as many as I can without speaking to
3. When I’m left with 10-15 I like I call them for. 5 minute phone screen
4. Then I choose the 6-8 I want to face to face interview and see then for 30 Minute interviews back to back
5. Then offer them a 2 day unpaid work trial
6. Offer the job.
7. They have 2 months to get up to my minimum speed, and then they’re in
8. You can sack them in first 2 years without comeback (excluding discrimination law) so no need for probation period as such
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Mike Burd

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 05:37:01 pm »

5) One week trial
6) CRB check

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Jay

I do

1. Paid advert indeed
2. Initial screen of applicants where I cut out as many as I can without speaking to
4. Then I choose the 6-8 I want to face to face interview and see then for 30 Minute interviews back to back
6. Offer the job.
8. You can sack them in first 2 years without comeback (excluding discrimination law) so no need for probation period as such

If you have a probationary period you can end without notice if it’s in the contract. I guess defacto you can without a probationary period, but you risk breach of contract. Just my understanding btw and I could be wrong, but one of my medium term goals is to hire an external HR consultant to review all of our documentation.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 05:53:03 pm »
What I understand is you have what you ‘should’ do.. in terms of discipline procedure etc etc. but they can’t get you for unfair dismissal within the first 2 years so there no real risk.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

jay moley

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 06:37:58 pm »

5) One week trial
6) CRB check

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Jay

I do

1. Paid advert indeed
6. Offer the job.

How do people react to the non payed 2 day trial?

NWH

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 06:41:00 pm »
Depends how keen they are I suppose I think you could always pay them if you were to take them on.

jay moley

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 06:42:08 pm »
Depends how keen they are I suppose I think you could always pay them if you were to take them on.

I think a non paid trial, is good as it weeds out people that aren't serious. If I really wanted a job I'd be prepared to do a free trial. Its not as if they are going to be worked to the bone.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 06:50:17 pm »
A non paid trial period, oh dear! IMO there should be a law against this sort of practice.
A decent interview process should be enough to weed out people that aren’t serious.

jay moley

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 06:55:51 pm »
A non paid trial period, oh dear! IMO there should be a law against this sort of practice.
A decent interview process should be enough to weed out people that aren’t serious.

A day when you pretty much watch. Yeah pay em a oner.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 07:03:14 pm »

5) One week trial
6) CRB check

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Jay

I do

1. Paid advert indeed
6. Offer the job.

It’s never been an issue to be honest. If they’re leaving a job for this one they want to know it’s the right decision. If they are unemployed they don’t have anything to loose.

I used to get them to do a week unpaid .. back in the day 🤣
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Mike Burd

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 07:15:47 pm »
What I understand is you have what you ‘should’ do.. in terms of discipline procedure etc etc. but they can’t get you for unfair dismissal within the first 2 years so there no real risk.
I think if you don’t have a probationary period you have to pay statutory notice but in a probationary period you don’t. If you get rid and don’t pay a week I *think* it’s breach of contract if there’s no probationary period

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 09:25:37 pm »

5) One week trial
6) CRB check

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Jay

I do

1. Paid advert indeed
6. Offer the job.

It’s never been an issue to be honest. If they’re leaving a job for this one they want to know it’s the right decision. If they are unemployed they don’t have anything to loose.

I used to get them to do a week unpaid .. back in the day 🤣

I think you will find if you aren't paying them then they aren't an employee in the eyes of your insurance if they had an accident whilst out with you on a trial this could lead to problems

NWH

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2022, 09:35:00 pm »
Pay em what you are offering them if they got the job for 2 days.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2022, 02:27:11 am »
Never ever expect people to work for nothing - training or not - even if it's minimum wage they should be paid

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2022, 06:54:37 am »
Just to be clear they don’t do any work on the trial day.

I should change the name I suppose as ‘work trial’ suggests they are working

It’s a couple of days for them to sit in the van alongside a worker and for us to get to know them and then to see the job warts and all

It also sees how committed they are if they want to come and see the job, if they turn up on time, etc etc

It works very well
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2022, 07:36:29 am »
If you are using their time then you should be paying them - they are at work

If your trial really consists of them sitting in a van all day for 2 days then what are they learning about the job - nothing - just like your pay for those days

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 08:05:45 am »
If you are using their time then you should be paying them - they are at work

If your trial really consists of them sitting in a van all day for 2 days then what are they learning about the job - nothing - just like your pay for those days

I disagree but I’m OK for you to have a different opinion 👍🏻
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Matt.

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2022, 08:10:46 am »
Similar situation with above stick advert on indeed, just delete those without experience.

Don’t bother with screen time phone calls at this point am only interested if they can clean windows, most think they can.
I will have a chat to them on indeed messages and ask who they have worked for and what type of work they was doing then I normally ask them to come out with me so I can see there work.
Those that are well below standards are sent packing within 10 mins ( which is 90% ).
I went through last 6 months of last year with job adverts out an got nothing but crap, so it is very much hit and miss if ur looking for an experienced window cleaner, there standards are shocking as Lord just worked for people an not have a hoot.
just after Xmas I got a lad in who I was happy with but like the buses, nothing, nothing, nothing then bang and another one came along right away, so took them both on, they doing ok.
Am happy now got all 3 of me vans out working daily so am more interested in training a young lad up now.
Unless ur plans are to stick them out in vans on there own it’s a case start off a young lad and train them up
It is painful trying to recruit staff and still crack on with ur own work so ur not falling behind.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2022, 08:27:41 am »
Similar situation with above stick advert on indeed, just delete those without experience.

Don’t bother with screen time phone calls at this point am only interested if they can clean windows, most think they can.
I will have a chat to them on indeed messages and ask who they have worked for and what type of work they was doing then I normally ask them to come out with me so I can see there work.
Those that are well below standards are sent packing within 10 mins ( which is 90% ).
I went through last 6 months of last year with job adverts out an got nothing but crap, so it is very much hit and miss if ur looking for an experienced window cleaner, there standards are shocking as Lord just worked for people an not have a hoot.
just after Xmas I got a lad in who I was happy with but like the buses, nothing, nothing, nothing then bang and another one came along right away, so took them both on, they doing ok.
Am happy now got all 3 of me vans out working daily so am more interested in training a young lad up now.
Unless ur plans are to stick them out in vans on there own it’s a case start off a young lad and train them up
It is painful trying to recruit staff and still crack on with ur own work so ur not falling behind.

Interesting. Very different approach to mine.

I’m looking the right attitude and personal skills. How they come across to me because they’ll be representing by business every day. So the phoencalls really useful for that.

And then what I want to see on their CV is evidence they’ve stuck at a boring job and ideally have worked outdoors.

I think cleaning windows WFP is very easy and anyone who is physically fit with the right drive can do it well enough

I reject everyone who’s worked as a window cleaner before.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

jay moley

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2022, 10:03:35 am »

Interesting. Very different approach to mine.

I’m looking the right attitude and personal skills. How they come across to me because they’ll be representing by business every day. So the phoencalls really useful for that.

And then what I want to see on their CV is evidence they’ve stuck at a boring job and ideally have worked outdoors.

I think cleaning windows WFP is very easy and anyone who is physically fit with the right drive can do it well enough

I reject everyone who’s worked as a window cleaner before.

I guess we all have different approaches. The phone call in my opinion will weed out those that are  obviously not suitable without wasting time to have to go and meet them all.

I'm also more in favour of getting someone with no experience but I would be interested in hearing what others think about that??