This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mark Dee

Heat and flow for roof cleaning
« on: February 27, 2022, 03:05:24 pm »
Putting access to one side, I am trying to work out the quickest method of cleaning tiled roofs. In my mind I want to use heat over cold pressure and high flow rate. I have watched Sid Partridge cleaning with a hot mobile pressure washer (machine delivers 12lpm @100bar) using a 12" mossmatic type head, it does seem to be fairly slow and by Sid's own admission is slower than scraping but the quality of clean is better. Then  I look at Blast Away who has access to several machines and is cleaning with what looks like a higher flow and a turbo lance and heat ( looking at the steam coming off the tile)  Blast Away could also be using more pressure too.

Is more heat better  than higher flow and pressure or less heat with higher flow and pressure in removing mosses and lichens from roof tiles?

Smudger

Re: Heat and flow for roof cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 05:32:13 pm »
Blast away have really industrial machines that deliver 35 LPM and something like 400 Bar ( if memory serves )

if you are wanting to use heat you will need to upgrade FSC + turbo nozzles to those that can take the heat - this may apply to hoses as well depending on your current spec.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 05:57:40 pm »
We do a fair few roof cleans using a small 5hp machine  running (I think 1500psi/10lts min.) you can see it in the photo I have included

It runs cold, using a turbo and we find it does the best job without  covering the garden in mess. I have used a 12inch FSC on a exstendable pole  from a tower but now  if the customer won’t pay for a spider lift we don’t do the clean.

I cannot comment if heat would speed things up but so far we have got good results using cold.

I have tried using heat on drive and patio cleaning and it made no difference, so much so I took the hotbox off the van

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

danielscott

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 05:57:57 pm »
The quickest method of cleaning tiled roofs would ultimately depend on the extent of the moss and lichen buildup on the tiles. While heat can help loosen and remove these substances, it may not be as effective if the buildup is particularly heavy. On the other hand, a higher flow and pressure could potentially blast away more buildup, but may also damage the tiles if not used carefully. I recommend checking out some roofing companies, such as newbraunfelsroofingco.com, for their expert opinion on the best cleaning method for your specific situation. Good luck with your roof cleaning!

the king

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 08:00:49 pm »
personally i wouldent pw any roof scrape and bio or hypo heard too many roofs leak after or during

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 09:33:36 pm »
personally i wouldent pw any roof scrape and bio or hypo heard too many roofs leak after or during

Only if done incorrectly - done well over 200 roof cleans from modern to Georgian properties - not had one leak yet

I would rather pressure wash than stand there running a lump of metal up and down the roof scratching the surface
but we all have a preferred method

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 10:04:30 pm »

Only if done incorrectly - done well over 200 roof cleans from modern to Georgian properties - not had one leak yet

I would rather pressure wash than stand there running a lump of metal up and down the roof scratching the surface
but we all have a preferred method

Darran

We don’t do many roofs but the ones we do do we use a plastic scraper , works really well .

Rob.Hall

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 10:24:04 pm »
Where do you get your plastic scraper gear from Splash?

Splash & dash

Re: Heat and flow for roof cleaning New
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 02:38:10 pm »
Where do you get your plastic scraper gear from Splash?

Make them myself , this is one for  flat tiles but can also make them to fit any tile contours.
I have also made my own roof spraying nozzles on casters works a treat