This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

a900

Waterworks powerup 3D central core plastic v aluminium
« on: January 08, 2022, 03:58:35 pm »
Hi does anyone have any experience or know the real world difference between the plastic or aluminium central core on the powerup 3D?

The plastic version looks like soil pipe.

Splash & dash

Re: Waterworks powerup 3D central core plastic v aluminium
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 04:32:09 pm »
Hi does anyone have any experience or know the real world difference between the plastic or aluminium central core on the powerup 3D?

The plastic version looks like soil pipe.

The plastic centre ones gradually collapse if using hot water so they changed them to aluminium there are fine we have been long term testing them for Jordan without any issues.

a900

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 06:33:52 pm »
Wow that was exactly what I was after. I’ve got the chance at a good price second hand power up reel with the plastic inner. And was very interested in the difference from a design view as ive seen the new ones. There are some differences such as the internal cylinder material and a relay to power to motor rather than direct switch connection. I think that this makes my mates new one faster while also reducing the need for chunky wiring to the switch and hopefully less wear on the switch.

We’ve got 2 DIY but tidy electric reels running a few years and I’ve set them up with relays in an enclosure. I’ve got the switches set up in the van bodywork near the door where you would lean while reeling in. 

So the temp of the hot (which I use) causes the plastic to deform.

I wonder if an insulation sheet over the top or the plastic drum would be enough to stop the warping. Something like this ..

https://www.toolstation.com/ybs-general-purpose-thermawrap-insulation/p16779?store=H6&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dm&pcrid=558033462390&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAieWOBhCYARIsANcOw0zrprMDcn89j-RLLjfAgJ5v-DcyiXoPutXJM3DFEmIYsv0aLytPiHEaAg3cEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know it won’t look as good as the aluminium internal. Which I’m sure could be upgraded.

Overall I like the look of these powerup reels. They are similar to what I’ve done already but using CAD and molds to make up the parts. This makes them look pretty as well as functional. Something hard to achieve through DIY.

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 09:27:10 pm »
I don’t think anything on the centre drum would stop the heat damage better off getting the alloy centre ones they are fine .

Pete Thompson

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 11:35:26 pm »
I don't think its the heat that damages the plastic, I think its the crushing force exerted by hose which is slightly expanding when pressurised.

I was going to 'fix' mine by putting some metal pipe or other framework inside the plastic tube.  I asked waterworks about it and they just replaced the whole reel, free of charge, for one with metal instead of plastic.

Can't say fairer than that.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 08:53:38 am »
I don't think its the heat that damages the plastic, I think its the crushing force exerted by hose which is slightly expanding when pressurised.

I was going to 'fix' mine by putting some metal pipe or other framework inside the plastic tube.  I asked waterworks about it and they just replaced the whole reel, free of charge, for one with metal instead of plastic.

The crushing force makes sense. I am at the other end of the scale with metal but flimsy centres in a cheap Claber hand reel.

If the immersion has heated the water above about 45 in the tank the centre of the reel - which is three segments, not a cylinder - compresses and misshapens.

It still works fine but it is noticeable.

It's a game of three halves!

a900

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 10:30:01 am »

The crushing force makes sense. I am at the other end of the scale with metal but flimsy centres in a cheap Claber hand reel.

If the immersion has heated the water above about 45 in the tank the centre of the reel - which is three segments, not a cylinder - compresses and misshapens.

It still works fine but it is noticeable.
[/quote]

The lad working with me used to have a claber and it expanded so much with 8mm hose and hot water that the sides would press against the frame and not allow it to turn. Had to disconnect the reel to allow it to collapse enough to reel back in toward the end of its life.

Hadn’t considered that the expansion would put press on the plastic. I would think both the heat and the pressure would work together to overstress the plastic. 

The price of the second hand one I’ve been offered is a no brainer even if it’s a plastic internal. I wonder if waterworks we sell me the aluminium centre separately.

Then there is the question of how to get it out. I understand all the bolts on the bottom half. They have even brought out some videos recently to show how to get this apart for a belt change. But I’m not sure how to get the top 2 metal bars apart without breaking it.

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 01:02:07 pm »

From our experience it only happens to reels that are used  for hot water not cold so I think it is the heat , but I agree regardless of hot or cold the alloy centre is much butter and stronger .

a900

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 05:54:18 pm »
The heat does cause the hoses to expand more. We had an 8mm with hot water you could have mistaken for garden hose 😂😂

Thanks all for your input