van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jay moley

Locked gates
« on: November 03, 2021, 03:30:51 pm »
Anyone experiencing more customers keeping their gates locked even when they've been texted the night before? Don't know whether people are more security conscious.

Doing my head in. Wastes time and if I can only do the front lost money.

Then you get people calling back asking you to go back to do the back!! ....errr NO

Soupy

Re: Locked gates
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 03:32:05 pm »
Anyone experiencing more customers keeping their gates locked even when they've been texted the night before? Don't know whether people are more security conscious.

Then you get people calling back asking you to go back to do the back!! ....errr NO

Brexit.

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 04:27:13 pm »

i cant say ive noticed a difference...i do occasionally get a customer who forgets.....but i just clean what i can and reduce their bill...

it doesnt bother me one bit...im well past caring these days! ;D ;D

price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 04:52:03 pm »
Probably just one of them days. Ive had it before when 3 or 4 forget and it is frustrating but normally its just the odd one here and there, like Daz i dont really care that much but wouldnt be going back thats for sure.

Slash

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 06:32:26 pm »
I climb over them,thats when a little A frame ladder comes in handy.
It's not the end of the world ;D

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 06:39:40 pm »
We don’t take on work with access issues unless we are given a key or a code saves all this hassle , jobs like that offer a fronts only service like Mike Kent does it’s a very good earner we love fronts only work quick and easy . 

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 06:41:49 pm »

Not that easy when you employ with H &S theses days , why bother with this type of wirk it’s just not worth doing , I used to climb over gates 20 years ago but saw the light and stopped doing it it’s just not cost effective

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 10:35:55 am »

Not that easy when you employ with H &S theses days , why bother with this type of wirk it’s just not worth doing , I used to climb over gates 20 years ago but saw the light and stopped doing it it’s just not cost effective

If you have to get your A frame ladders out because the customer forgot to unlock (if it's padlocked) the side gate, then the o/p could add a couple of bucks to the bill for the inconvenience. The customer will either accept it, reject it, or remember next time. ;D

When we quote any new cleans now, I make a point of checking how they secure the side gate before I quote. If its padlocked then we quote fronts only and quote backs as one off's as and when they are in. 
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 01:22:42 pm »
its extremely rare for us to get a locked gate ( padlock or key ) as they have the next clean date in advance - gates with a draw bolt are  opened using a pole with a hook - then locked again

any others are front only - as per splash we won't climb over due to H&S (in fact I have 3 customers that specify not to climb over and if they forget will pay full clean price

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

james peters

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 02:37:11 pm »
When we quote any new cleans now, I make a point of checking how they secure the side gate before I quote. If its padlocked then we quote fronts only and quote backs as one off's as and when they are in.

this is a good idea. may start doing this myself .

jay moley

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 02:40:00 pm »
its extremely rare for us to get a locked gate ( padlock or key ) as they have the next clean date in advance - gates with a draw bolt are  opened using a pole with a hook - then locked again

any others are front only - as per splash we won't climb over due to H&S (in fact I have 3 customers that specify not to climb over and if they forget will pay full clean price

Darran

So any that forget you make pay full price?

How is that received?

deeege

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 03:05:57 pm »

Darran

How is that received?

Same, I just explain at the time of quoting that I offer the service of texting the night before, but this means that if the gate is not unlocked I clean what is accessible but the price remains the same.

Had one yesterday and she’s still paid full price just now and text an apology to me also.

Aslong as you are clear from the outset there’s no issue.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

jay moley

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 03:06:48 pm »

Darran

How is that received?

Same, I just explain at the time of quoting that I offer the service of texting the night before, but this means that if the gate is not unlocked I clean what is accessible but the price remains the same.

Had one yesterday and she’s still paid full price just now and text an apology to me also.

Aslong as you are clear from the outset there’s no issue.

Will give it a go. Thanks

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 06:01:59 pm »
I had one today,first time they've ever forgot.....I just knocked a fiver off their bill....personally I couldn't charge full price for half a job.....

deeege

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 06:36:26 pm »
I had one today,first time they've ever forgot.....I just knocked a fiver off their bill....personally I couldn't charge full price for half a job.....

Slightly different circumstances Daz. Mine was a stand-alone that I’d drove to especially.

I’m sure yours was next to a few others so it’s no big deal to charge half and just do the fronts.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

james peters

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 06:44:53 pm »
this forum is great , and this thread timely.
just had an old customer ask why I hadnt been for a while .
I explained that she had on the last 2 occasions forgotten to unlock the gate
(iv always just dropped these types in the past )
I explained I was happy to continue , and if she forgot I would clean the windows I could access

she has just replied greatfully, and also said if in future she forgets , I can carry on and she will pay  the full amount .
so , I am glad this topic is being discussed .
It is a stand alone property that i drive to ;D

Splash & dash

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 06:53:27 pm »

Slightly different circumstances Daz. Mine was a stand-alone that I’d drove to especially.

I’m sure yours was next to a few others so it’s no big deal to charge half and just do the fronts.

It’s good that you get the customers to pay full price don’t blame you , we wouldn’t take on odd houses hear and there and don’t txt either , once well  established  you can afford  to run a business how you want rather than taking on all jobs , customers have to fit a list of our criteria or we won’t take them on , that’s not being big headed but a common sense way to run an expanding business maximising profits and making work uniformed for all staff . 

deeege

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 07:41:43 pm »

It’s good that you get the customers to pay full price don’t blame you , we wouldn’t take on odd houses hear and there and don’t txt either , once well  established  you can afford  to run a business how you want rather than taking on all jobs , customers have to fit a list of our criteria or we won’t take them on , that’s not being big headed but a common sense way to run an expanding business maximising profits and making work uniformed for all staff .

Fair enough, I am well established and love the stand alone jobs tbh, as long as I’m hitting my set hourly rate I couldn’t care if my jobs are together or a few hundred yards apart. Some of my best domestic work is all stand alone jobs.

M.c.s

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 07:54:32 pm »
i just do the front and in the quote give them 2 prices one for front and one for front and back   very rare  people forget

i have one who is in the navy  she goes away a lot so i email and text first if no answer. i will go anway  get the small ladder out and straddle  but thats just one    ::)roll    theres always one
its always the monday morning crew  who forget   as i have texted them friday or saturday

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 07:46:22 am »

I don't blame you mate....I don't have access issues for larger stand alone properties as I have their gate codes....

The only access issues for me are compact estate jobs so it's no problem to just clean the fronts and move onto my next job,it usually balances out anyway as some front only jobs will ask me to clean their backs occasionally(access through their garage)