This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Suffolkcleaners

Accreditation/Safety schemes
« on: October 05, 2021, 06:56:37 pm »
Hi Guys

One of my Commercial jobs are asking if I'm part of an Accreditation or safety scheme.(I am a sole trader) Can any one recommend one that is... ISO 45001 or similar safety scheme in procurement (SSIP) whatever all that means. Basically if I join one I can skip half the questionnaire otherwise they want all Risk Assessments etc.  I do have a health and safety policy in place but no Risk Assessment documents so thought I could maybe fastback just by joining a scheme.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

zesty

Re: Accreditation/Safety schemes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 06:42:19 am »
Hi Guys

One of my Commercial jobs are asking if I'm part of an Accreditation or safety scheme.(I am a sole trader) Can any one recommend one that is... ISO 45001 or similar safety scheme in procurement (SSIP) whatever all that means. Basically if I join one I can skip half the questionnaire otherwise they want all Risk Assessments etc.  I do have a health and safety policy in place but no Risk Assessment documents so thought I could maybe fastback just by joining a scheme.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I hate all this red tape nonsense.

I’ve got a commercial job that require me to fill out pages and pages of health and safety, I’ve never read any of it, just tick the box on each page, date it, and sign it. It’s nonsense.

Can defo see the advantage of being able to skip a load of it!

Martin Lane

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 06:48:09 am »
Safecontractor, you dont just join you have to show them you understand Health and Safety, they will first ask you for about £600 or more we have just paid £1000,then they will ask you to supply Risk Assessments , Method statements and a whole lot more, pages of it, if only one job that  need you to have it unless its a massive job I would tell them due to costs its not worth your while

Martin

deeege

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 07:17:27 am »
Hi Guys

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

It’ll be far less costly and time consuming to get yourself a decent RAMS that can be edited for each job rather than signing up for a safety scheme.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 07:56:58 am »
Safe contractor is what you want but they will still require proof of RAMS and other associated health and safety paper work.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 08:10:18 am »
Thanks guys. I just filled in the form and supplied public liability proof. Hopefully that will be enough. Been doing the job 5 years so not sure why they are suddenly asking for all this.

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 08:24:53 am »
Hi Guys

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

It’ll be far less costly and time consuming to get yourself a decent RAMS that can be edited for each job rather than signing up for a safety scheme.

That’s exactly what we do
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 09:50:14 am »
Any recommendations on this RAMS malarkey? I only do light commercial so I really am struggling to get my head around all this added (in my opinion) unnecessary health and safety stuff. I can understand more if you employ people and do massive commercial buildings but my commercial work is small fry compared to that.

Hopefully what I sent will be enough. I have full insurance and a health and safety policy on my website (plus a COVID-19 safety  policy)

Thanks guys 👍

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 11:49:48 am »
search the web - there are a few generic ones where you choose the bits you require and it then produces a document at the end

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 12:55:51 pm »
Safe contractor is what you want but they will still require proof of RAMS and other associated health and safety paper work.

I’ve just signed up for them this morning

Only at the behest of a commercial client

It was either sign up for £480 or loose the work
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 02:05:27 pm »
I’d rather lose the work 👍

I’ve had companies insist I get this and that or no work - they always come back and we carry out the work under our terms

Darran

Ascjim

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 03:08:30 pm »
Most of our customer require Safe Contractor or Chas.

Not worth getting it for 1 or 2 jobs.

deeege

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 03:23:00 pm »
Never had a single customer require anything other than RAMS and Liability insurance details.

I wouldn’t even consider taking on a customer who required it at this point either tbh.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 06:47:11 pm »

I’ve just signed up for them this morning

Only at the behest of a commercial client

It was either sign up for £480 or loose the work

I'm sure mine was less but I don't pay tp fast track mine.I believe they charge your more based on the number of people you employ.

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 06:56:45 pm »
The world has gone health and safety mad but that's just how it is with some companies.
Safe contractor can save you time when doing tenders or health and safety audits.

A couple of the companies I do work for send out every year or so a health and safety audit if you have a SSIP accreditation you have less to work to do and provide on the questionnaire.

You're also more likely to hold on to some of the work where they require these thing as apposed to someone who isn't accredited.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 03:53:53 pm »
I’d rather lose the work 👍

I’ve had companies insist I get this and that or no work - they always come back and we carry out the work under our terms

Darran

yeh it was a difficult decision but at the moment we're growing and its still worth having the work even with the expense
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Ascjim

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 06:40:14 pm »
An example for us is Mitie, they can't even add us to their system with Safe Contractor or Chas.

Ascjim

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 06:44:40 pm »
But if the bulk of your work is window cleaning then it's prob not worth it.