This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

drakestar!

Electric vans
« on: September 11, 2021, 09:49:13 am »
Has anyone taken the plunge yet?
I live in London and from next month I'll be paying a low emission zone charge to clean some of my customers.
Looking to replace my van at some point.
What electric van have you bought and are they any good for carrying weight and can the do much mileage with all the weight?
Ps I know that Euro6 vans are fine but with this government it means investing twice in the long term...the goal posts are always being moved for the working class.

Pete Thompson

Re: Electronic vans
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 10:15:09 am »
You don’t need an electric van to avoid the ULEZ, it just needs to be Euro 6.

(Almost all vans that you put AdBlue in are Euro 6)

I’ve considered getting an electric van for my next one, but at the moment they are too expensive. Even when you account for not paying diesel the 5-year cost is still higher, (plus they’re less convenient. Charging taking hours rather than a few minutes to fill)

At least that’s how it was when I last looked a few months ago. Maybe things have moved on?

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 12:57:22 pm »
Has anyone taken the plunge yet?
I live in London and from next month I'll be paying a low emission zone charge to clean some of my customers.
Looking to replace my van at some point.
What electric van have you bought and are they any good for carrying weight and can the do much mileage with all the weight?

You have a choice to either cough up the emission zone charge and increase your prices to those customers or replace them. You did say "some" so it sounds like those you do are a small proportion of the work you do.

Of course the future of the emission zone regulations and their coverage areas are never clear - one day the whole country could be an emission zone.

It wasn't long ago when there was a glut of old vans on the market being sold off by those travelling and working in the London Emission Zone.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

simon w

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 01:32:45 pm »
How about a converted milk float?

drakestar!

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 09:34:44 pm »
Great idea, but I want to keep my equipment safe  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 07:40:44 am »

Old milk floats are too slow to be unsafe. 🤣
It's a game of three halves!

simon w

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 10:45:32 am »

Old milk floats are too slow to be unsafe. 🤣
You just start your round at 4am and whistle as your working  ;D

AuRavelling79

Re: Electric vans
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 05:36:29 pm »
True this. When I was about 14 my brother had the hare-brained idea of being a milkman for Unigate dairies in Bristol.

For one winter I worked with him on  a Saturday for 50p plus half the Xmas/New Year tips. I might get £2 if I was lucky! Equiv to about £25 now so not brilliant! 🤣

Up at 4am, finished by noon. I was also allowed (by him) to drive the float before it got light and people could see me.

The 3 wheeler float started with the ability to do about 20 mph but by the end of the round it was down to about 10 mph.

No heater,  no doors, no seat belts.

Those were the days!
It's a game of three halves!