This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bungle

Re: When you move into a new house...
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2021, 06:19:40 pm »
I had a bill of over £1,000 last year for a 6 month bill. The float in the cylinder in the house failed and we had running water going down the drain for a fair while. It's usually around £400 every 6 months.
We look at them, they look through them.

Stoots

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 06:37:12 am »
It's £2.96 round here including the standing charge for a 1000 litres so at £150 per month he's using 50,000 litres....work is 5,000 litres a week so around 22,000 litres.........28,000 litres usage.

3.25 is yorkshire water

46k litres a month or 10'600l a week based on my £150 a month

5000l will be pure water.

So 5600/7 is 800l a day for home .

2 baths a day is 500l or more right there, washing machine on non stop etc. Sounds about right to me.

Actually thinking about it, the bill might be less now it was 150 a month when I had an employee so will have used more water.

zesty

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 07:31:46 am »
It's £2.96 round here including the standing charge for a 1000 litres so at £150 per month he's using 50,000 litres....work is 5,000 litres a week so around 22,000 litres.........28,000 litres usage.

3.25 is yorkshire water

2 baths a day is 500l or more right there, washing machine on non stop etc. Sounds about right to me.

Actually thinking about it, the bill might be less now it was 150 a month when I had an employee so will have used more water.

That’s mad mate, how many kids?

Average U.K. water consumption per household is circa 350-400l a day.

Smudger

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 07:59:42 am »
Ever heard of a shower?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 08:02:50 pm »

3.25 is yorkshire water

What size is your bath mate  :o

Baths hold around 80-120 litres as no one fills them to the top. perhaps you had a small leak in the old house.

Be interesting if you have a lower bill in this new house, if you end up on a water meter that is…

Stoots

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2021, 10:34:29 pm »
Ever heard of a shower?

Darran

Yeh, that's the thing i use after I've laid In the bath for an hour .

Simon Trapani

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2021, 10:40:18 pm »
Who’s even got time for a bath as opposed to a shower?

Stoots

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2021, 10:54:49 am »

Time?

You must work too much

I'm home for 3, I've got all night. Can't beat  half hour in the bath with some Epsom salts.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 11:59:52 am »

Time?

You must work too much

I'm home for 3, I've got all night. Can't beat  half hour in the bath with some Epsom salts.
And a rubber duck. Don't forget the rubber duck.
It's a game of three halves!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 12:22:48 pm »

Time?

You must work too much

Didn’t say i was working. Just got better things to do with my time than lay in a bath 8)

Stoots

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 03:34:04 pm »
Well I spoke to yorkshire water , flat charge of £470 for the year and they won't force me onto a meter.

Save over a grand a year, can have as many baths as I like now  ;D

Simon Trapani

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 04:46:00 pm »
Result! Do other waterboards offer that? Always wondered what I’d do if/when we move one day.

Splash & dash

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 05:17:49 pm »
All new builds have to have a water meter ,but you cannot be forced to have one in any other domestic property , they will strongly encourage you by saying it will be cheaper for you and in most cases they are right but they cannot fit a meter without your consent . Commercial is a total  different  situation .

Simon Trapani

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 05:38:03 pm »
My understanding is that where I live (covered by Wessex Water & Bristol Water) any change of occupier now has to have a water meter fitted. So if I move I have to have one.

But if I wanted a meter fitted on my existing house (not that I would), then I can try it for up to 2 years. After that there is no going back.

Splash & dash

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2021, 05:43:08 pm »
My understanding is that where I live (covered by Wessex Water & Bristol Water) any change of occupier now has to have a water meter fitted. So if I move I have to have one.

But if I wanted a meter fitted on my existing house (not that I would), then I can try it for up to 2 years. After that there is no going back.

Ware I am is south west water a friend of mine works for them and he told me what I have already said , they will encourage you to have one fitted but cannot force you to , once it’s fitted though there is no going back .

zesty

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2021, 06:01:31 pm »
Well I spoke to yorkshire water , flat charge of £470 for the year and they won't force me onto a meter.

Save over a grand a year, can have as many baths as I like now  ;D

Result mate.

When we moved house, I was sure this current house didn’t have a water meter, as i couldn’t find one anywhere.

When I got the deeds and all the reports through before completion, I saw it was metered. Was gutted.

Turns out the water meter was under gravel in the front garden, whereas all the neighbours have it on the path.  ::)roll

kiral1404

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2021, 10:46:54 pm »
Where I am, we have  Bournemouth water and wessex water. One does mains the other sewerage. You can get a rebate for sewerage. Have to say how much water you use for window cleaning , toilet,  shower use.  I managed  a 74% saving on the waste water as what I didn't take away watered the garden rather than going down drain. Saved huge amount

Jonny Swirljet

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2021, 06:12:18 am »
Your stop tap is usually in the footpath outside your house. Most properties are usually in a state of readiness to have a water meter screwed into the carriage where the stop tap is. The meter belongs to the water company any problems or leaks beyond the meter towards your property is your problem. If you make a fuss they'll stick you on a business rate tariff.

NBwcs

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2021, 11:14:54 am »
Result! Do other waterboards offer that? Always wondered what I’d do if/when we move one day.

Anglian water will force you onto a meter if there's one fitted for that property, and even if the existing occupiers are paying by the rateable value the chances are AW will have fitted a meter anyway as part of their "extended metering program" in a bid to furfill govt targets set through Offwat, so when the new owners move in they get no choice. Its a long time since I worked there but AW were streets ahead of most other water companies in respect of getting everyone on a meter. You may get more joy in other areas. Also, if they find out your running a business which uses water particularly one like ours they have every right to force you onto a meter and a business tariff whether there's an existing meter fitted or not.

Smudger

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2021, 08:32:41 am »
Your stop tap is usually in the footpath outside your house. Most properties are usually in a state of readiness to have a water meter screwed into the carriage where the stop tap is. The meter belongs to the water company any problems or leaks beyond the meter towards your property is your problem. If you make a fuss they'll stick you on a business rate tariff.

That’s interesting I’m moving into a new property and the meter is in the kitchen under the sink 😄
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk