Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Denise l

Carpet Moths
« on: July 10, 2021, 06:09:19 am »
Any recommendations for treating carpet moths in wool carpet please?

Nobby

Re: Carpet Moths
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 04:33:00 pm »
I assume you’re not in the trade so I’d recommend the following:
The moth doesn’t do any damage to furnishings so regular treatment with a fly spray will probably do the job for you. If you have the moth larvae that’s a different problem which is going to take some effort to eliminate. The larvae like to stay in dark undisturbed places under furniture, under long curtains etc and places you don’t regularly vacuum so good house keeping will certainly help to get rid of them. Move all furniture, empty cupboards and thoroughly vacuum everywhere, if clothes have been infested you will need to wash all natural fibre items.  If you regularly do this you may we’ll eliminate the larvae but you may also need to use an insecticide spray in all affected areas. Bio Productions do an insecticide that can be used by amateurs and once dry it’s perfectly safe.  The larvae resemble grains of rice and are often mistaken for carpet tufts so you’ll need to crawl around in your hands and knees with torch to try to find them!
You could also put a moth trap in each room, these will attract the male moth and they will stick to the trap like a fly to flypaper, as well as eliminating the male moth it will give you a good indication of the size of the infestation and indeed whether or not you’ve eliminated the problem.
It’s hard and tedious work so good luck!

dustee

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 08:41:51 pm »
Digrain

Nobby

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 05:16:31 pm »
Sorry Denise I, I can see now from the number of posts you've made that you are in the trade, this didn't show on my mobile when i read your post.  I agree with dustee that Digrain from Restormate would be the answer to your problem.

AJB

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 06:00:31 pm »
There is no such thing as a carpet moth, they are case bearing moths who's larvae eat keratin.
I.E wool, human hair, finger nails and dead insect exoskeletons.
When the larvae are seen in their little silk discs hoover the living daylights out of them.
any that have come to maturity already will fly away and return next year to lay their eggs.
the only sure way to totally eliminate the problem, is to break the cycle, using insecticides will
only kill what is already there, or those that appear whilst the systemic timing of the insecticide
still works. sucking them out of their silk disc is enough, they cannot survive outside of it.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

Robin Ray

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 06:03:22 pm »
There is an inexpensive course you can do for textile pests which is available from Restormate. If you take it it will tell you the most effective way of treating the problem and why the problem comes back in many cases. It will also give you a T.I.P licence which will enable you to buy effective residual insecticides designed for use in the home by professionals.

Denise l

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 04:46:51 am »
Thanks everyone for good advice given.