This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SuperJack

Equipment recommendations for new business
« on: July 05, 2021, 05:41:03 pm »
Good afternoon all, firstly I imagine this get's asked a lot so apologies. I'm looking at starting up a new business pressure washing. I started a used car sales business in 2019 but COVID basically finished me off, I've just started another business installing epoxy resin flooring however I need something that'll provide a base wage consistently.

I have my eyes on a Hyundai P1 Petrol washer (3000psi 207 bar) - has anyone got any experience of using one of these? are there any other makes and models I should consider? also in regards to the full setup can you recommend a business that'll supply everything I need to start up?

Many thanks,
Ben

Smudger

Re: Equipment recommendations for new business
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 06:45:09 pm »
If your looking for a base wage then p/w is not it - takes a while to get your name out there and get enough work in - your better off cleaning windows as you get regular work that way

No experience of Hyundai - most here use Honda, Loncin or Thor  pressure washers

I would spend a couple of evenings reading threads and researching - then come back with a few questions

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

davids3511

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 11:01:48 pm »
Have to agree with Darran. Get door knocking and put a window cleaning round together. Knock in the evening and clean what you get tomorrow. They soon add up when in a month you have what you cleaned last month along with the new cleans just canvassed up.

If you really don't fancy knocking use an a6 card (300gram), very simply "do you need a window cleaner, put me in the window if you do" on one side in bright red writing. On the other side on a yellow background with red writing "yes, please quote me". I drive around and make a list of the cards in the windows and then knock and quote.

Everybody says its crap and doesn't work but has built 5 rounds for me and over 1.5k customers (not all mine, some for a friend). I  think I stole the idea from Ian Lancaster originally.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 11:14:00 pm »
Nice idea

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

SuperJack

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 09:47:56 am »
Thanks for the replies chaps, as I'm on the gateway to Cumbria we've got a load of potential business within agriculture/farming so I may come up with a strategy to hit that market initially  :)

Yada Yada Yada - www.m-clean.uk

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 12:21:06 pm »
If you're serious - speculate to accumulate.

Get a website, get a website, get a website.

Get a sign written van.

Get the kit you need.

Have the website at the highest point on the van, make it larger than the business name.

Get on Facebook, blog & learn to use key words that'll keep you high on the rankings.

Everyone says I'm getting this pressure washer and this piece of kit, how do I.

To build a business it's more important to have web presence than any other part.

Until you get into proper commercial, have an established presence locally you will only pick up the odd job here and there, not enough to feed you.

Farmers are tight and a lot of them will have their own kit, don't rely on this market.

I live rural, have an established business doing pressure washing only, all year round, have and had all of the above - never had a call from a farmer but my website is completely geared to businesses only and the clients I have I have had for many years.

I tidied up a storefront yesterday that a company calling themselves pressure washers had done a half a*se job on.

This looks like an easy business that anyone can jump into, it just isn't that easy and most of the residential work dries up around September, unless you know what you are doing.

Solid advice above - I always say the same, build a window cleaning round, guaranteed income every month and if you still want to get into pressure washing go from there.

Any market is a potential and you may find a magic formula wherever you go.

Good luck.

davids3511

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 07:09:23 pm »
Nice idea

Darran
Yeah, it was great. Really changed my business when Ian mentioned it on here years ago.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 06:35:02 am »
My mate started his own business 6 weeks ago doing just fascia/soffit/gutter cleaning. He bought no equipment and uses mine. He doesn’t have a website and use his estate car with a roof rack.

He worked for me for 8yrs so he know how to do the work but the most important thing he knows how to price jobs at a premium price and how to put out leaflets, now he delivers leaflets  2hrs first thing in a morning  then does his first job ,  at the start he did 2hrs weekdays and 3 hrs on weekends.

He is making  good money, I could say an amount but you would call it BS

I wouldn’t start window cleaning from reading the window cleaning section it’s crap money, if you want to pressure wash then put all your effort into building a business doing that.

Rutland pumps will sell you a basic start up system  but buy a trusted Honda gx390 machine with a quality pump, Hyundai is a Chinese copy rip off machine
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 08:02:13 am »
Mike you started pressure washing off a carpet cleaning business.

It's hardly his business when you supply all his kit - what a load of tosh!

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 10:53:07 am »
Same here - moved into p/w after building g up1000 + windy customers - it was a great base to tap into for p/w work but if you don’t have that I would say it would be very hard going for the first year

Rob- spot on mate - I quote farmers on regular basis - anything over 100 notes they pull a face and shake their head like I’m trying to rob them🤪

Darran

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 11:08:32 am »
That was my story Darran.

750 customers that I sold and wished I'd kept 15 years ago and then straight into the commercial..

Mike Halliday

Re: Equipment recommendations for new business New
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 12:31:23 pm »
Mike you started pressure washing off a carpet cleaning business.

It's hardly his business when you supply all his kit - what a load of tosh!

(MODDED)! that dude is going into bars chatting up woman saying he’s as big as Alan Sugar, I’ll let him know Yada off the internet says he’s pretending ;)

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 12:55:13 pm »
No one saying he's pretending but you're making out he's started from nothing, doing it all himself, with no requirement for basic kit - he doesn't even own a pressure washer.

He's hardly started from nothing has he, he's working off the back of you. Don't let him use your kit or anything else and see how he fares because that was the OP's original question - starting from scratch, not being Hallidays bitch

You know nothing about window cleaning if your perspective is there is no money in it.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 01:05:07 pm »
Yea your probably right

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 01:10:13 pm »

Mark Dee

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 09:04:56 am »
No one saying he's pretending but you're making out he's started from nothing, doing it all himself, with no requirement for basic kit - he doesn't even own a pressure washer.

He's hardly started from nothing has he, he's working off the back of you. Don't let him use your kit or anything else and see how he fares because that was the OP's original question - starting from scratch, not being Hallidays bitch

You know nothing about window cleaning if your perspective is there is no money in it.

Well said.(apart from the "bitch" bit, but I know what you mean)