van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jo5hm4n

DIY Electric Reel Waiver
« on: June 09, 2021, 01:59:34 pm »
I need a little inspiration.  For my smaller van i am about to start looking for a new employee.  We have a DIY Electric hose reel in this van, and i want to write up a sort of waiver document to explain that the employee has been trained in proper use for the DIY Electric Hose Reel, has been show proper health and safety and how to avoid any risk of accident.  Then get them to sign the document at the bottom.

I'm doing this purely as a safety measure in the extreme unlikely chance of an employee cutting a finger off in the chain or something like this happening.

I need some inspiration on how to write the waiver, and what to or not to include.

Any ideas?

(no im not getting an engineered reel)

Thanks

Smudger

Re: DIY Electric Reel Waiver
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 02:14:17 pm »
Firstly if there is any chance they can  get hurt  due to lack of guarding no waiver will help you

If its 100% safe to use all you need is a a couple of lines stating the employee has been shown how to operate the equipment + if your going down this route hoe to repair it in the event of failure and a line stating the employee fully understands the training given --- signature and date ( 2 copies - yours and theirs )

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 02:20:54 pm »
personally - I wouldn't let any employee use DIY equipment - its a minefield about what is safe and what's not - I point to H-Man  and his handles - if I let my staff use these things and they got hurt, what recourse have I got ? where as I supply an Unger squeegee with ergonomic handle and they get an injury my recourse is back to Unger and them to provide evidence of testing etc..

If I was in your position I'd fit either a shop brought electric reel or install a manual reel

STAFF = if it can be broken they will break it, if there is the smallest chance of f**king it up - they will - they will always ignore the bleeding obvious !! - Work to this and never be disappointed

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 04:09:25 pm »
personally - I wouldn't let any employee use DIY equipment - its a minefield about what is safe and what's not - I point to H-Man  and his handles - if I let my staff use these things and they got hurt, what recourse have I got ? where as I supply an Unger squeegee with ergonomic handle and they get an injury my recourse is back to Unger and them to provide evidence of testing etc..

If I was in your position I'd fit either a shop brought electric reel or install a manual reel

STAFF = if it can be broken they will break it, if there is the smallest chance of f**king it up - they will - they will always ignore the bleeding obvious !! - Work to this and never be disappointed

Darran

totally agree!
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 04:33:58 pm »
Darran has summed this up well employees  should not be using some bodged up home made equipment should the worst happen the HSE will throw the book at you and if not a LTD company  could end up loosing your house and anything you own in fines and then the employee will personally sued you fir compensation as your insurance would be invalid . For the the sake of a few hundred pounds buy a proper electric reel or just use a manual one . If you are trying to cut corners with this it save money it doesn’t sound like you are earning enough to have an employee.

Matt.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 05:08:20 pm »
U got to love some people 😂😂😂

It’s like sticking a set of ladders on the van an letting the lads work on there own and they fall, employer becomes at fault as we’re is the working at height permit and we’re is the second man ......
I love reading Ciu wen I get home from work it’s better than any daily newspaper 🗞

People see Darran doing well and using, say hypo ( correctly ) then u av every Tom dick ad Harry jumping on the band wagon with it, then u get posts saying why has this happened or why has that happened when really they shouldn’t be using it with none or little knowledge of the chemical 😂😂😂

Window cleaner loses finger whiles using diy hose reel, and solicitor tears his waiver apart probably costing employer best part of 40k in legal fees 😂😂😂😂

Go get urself a h&s advisor and pay the subscription fees before u end up in 💩 creek 😂😂😂😂

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 06:15:15 pm »
I need a little inspiration.  For my smaller van i am about to start looking for a new employee.  We have a DIY Electric hose reel in this van, and i want to write up a sort of waiver document to explain that the employee has been trained in proper use for the DIY Electric Hose Reel, has been show proper health and safety and how to avoid any risk of accident.  Then get them to sign the document at the bottom.

I'm doing this purely as a safety measure in the extreme unlikely chance of an employee cutting a finger off in the chain or something like this happening.

I need some inspiration on how to write the waiver, and what to or not to include.

Any ideas?

(no im not getting an engineered reel)

Thanks

stick to a manual reel or get a pure freedom electric reelmaster(which has an enclosed chain)....
price higher/work harder!

Ralphie

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 06:39:41 pm »
Does  not matter what document you produce, if it is a self built electrical reel and you are not a competent person you are liable.

If he/she hurts themselves whilst using it you are liable as their will be no manufacturers guarantees, no service history or service manual so you are liable.

If you have enough work that you need employees then buy a new one and do  not put your staff at risk.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 06:58:13 pm »
Does  not matter what document you produce, if it is a self built electrical reel and you are not a competent person you are liable.

If he/she hurts themselves whilst using it you are liable as their will be no manufacturers guarantees, no service history or service manual so you are liable.

If you have enough work that you need employees then buy a new one and do  not put your staff at risk.

correct...you will be liable for sure with a diy reel

Pete Thompson

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 11:07:07 pm »
The liability side is obvious, but there’s a more important point…

You surely don’t WANT your employees to hurt themselves? Even if they never sue, or never make a complaint, surely you want to prevent them from injuring themselves and suffering?

If you really don’t care about their safety then in all honesty, you’d be better not employing.

Gringo

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 02:31:01 pm »
Some excellent replies there Joshman , any thoughts as to wether you will proceed with said botched up DIY equipment that could potentially, cost you all lot of money in claim compensation etc

Gringo

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 02:33:13 pm »
Do the right thing fella buy the correct equipment for your staff instead of penny pinching schemes and waivers

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 03:35:41 pm »
I would just supply them with a cheap manual claber reel, if they dont injure themselves they will only break it and not know how to put it back together.

robbo333

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 04:29:23 pm »
I'm with Stoots, get a Claber reel, they're not great, but it could be the best £60 you've ever spent!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Gringo

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 07:29:49 pm »
Op gone quiet wondering if he's still tinkering with his final draft of his waiver of missing fingers

dd

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 08:02:59 pm »
As everyone has come down on him like a ton of bricks (with some justification), the poor guy has probably been put off posting on the forum anytime soon.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 10:38:33 pm »
As everyone has come down on him like a ton of bricks (with some justification), the poor guy has probably been put off posting on the forum anytime soon.

you d have to be a thin skinned snowflake to not post because of a bit of constructive criticism......easily offended people need a check up from the neck up.......

Splash & dash

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 10:45:49 pm »

I don’t want to be hard on the op but who in there right mind us going to let an employee use home made potentially dangerous equipment if they cannot afford to buy a decent reels they have no ideas about running a profitable business  they should not be considering employing anyone , as they obviously couldn’t afford to .

Gringo

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 11:22:01 pm »
Bang on there splash good post , hope OP listens to some experienced guys giving out sound advice,

jo5hm4n

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 11:37:27 am »
Ok,

Appreciate the advice guys.  Just wanted to give a little more clarity on why i even made this post.

The main reason that i don't want to get a PF Electric Reel, or a Waterworks Powerup Reel is because if anything breaks, they are so over engineered to perfection that its difficult to fix for somebody like myself who is not the best at DIY.  I would have to send the reel back or drive a 4 hour round trip just to get the reel fixed.  This is way too much aggro.

The reason why i prefer the DIY Electric Clabber Reel that i made is because i built it, so if it breaks i know exactly how to fix it in minutes.

Cost is not the issue here its more downtime or faffing about if an Engineered reel breaks on me.

Infact i think i am more tempted to go with Adams idea, and just use a Manual Clabber Reel instead.  I only got the electric reel originally for my own ease when working.  My best friend currently works in my van  and he is fine with using the DIY Electric Reel, but as mentioned the issue is when i get a new employee where the concerns arise from.

At this point i think i would rather either Keep the DIY Electric Reel and just hope for the best, or get a chain guard fitted somehow myself.  Or just swap it out for the Clabber Manual Reel.

I have written a waiver, but clearly from what all of you are saying, it really would not stand up in any legal sense should there be an injury.