Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Adam Akhtar

New to the industry...
« on: June 08, 2021, 02:04:01 am »
Hello everyone, my name is Adam and I am 18 years old. I am based in East London and have been getting into carpet cleaning. I just wanted to know if any of the older guys on here could provide any pointers or tips?

I have been interested in Vacuum cleaners my whole life and have built buisnesses off of fixing Numatic machines and other commercial cleaning equipment. I have decided to get into carpet cleaning as I just have a lot of time on my hands and do like the job and due to my buisness have gotten to know and chat to a few already in the industry.

I currently have a few machines and know most of the process. My prevacs differentiate between an Electrolux C12/Sebo BS36 or my Numatic NQS380 with powerhead. My current carpet cleaning machines include a now busted Truvox Hydromist compact HC250, a Trewax Hydromist (old orange boxy thing) and a Cleanfix TW10 (Just used for spotting/stairs as my Big orange hydromist is currently out of action too). Not much I can do on a limited teenagers budget, hope to get an Airflex or a Ninja or Steampro someday lol.

I do have a few questions on stuff such as prespraying and how to agitate. Currently I have a big stiff bristle broom but its back breaking work,have been toying with the idea of getting a Buffer or a CRB but thats for when funds allow. Despite the obvious time saving and effort saving factors, do machines add any difference to this process? Do they not shed the carpet?

I also want to know if I could make my own vac booster box for the big orange hydromist, I have a spare motor for it and its suction right now is a bit crap but it does need a clean, tbf it aint bad for a machine more than double my age. Just need to find me a wand,hose and solution line for it. Do have some plans for the hose and solution line but wands are expensive lol. Have also gotta fibreglass up some parts of it. Got given it in a joblot of Henries so couldnt say no.

Anyone also know why extractors typically use Tangenital motors rather than standard peripheral bypass motors? Guess its to do with the cooling? Kinda ties in with my vac booster question as the spare motor I have is a huge tangenital one and wanted to know of there was anything I could do. I know its an old dated machine but I gotta keep up with the competition somehow someway with their new steampros and ninjas.

I currently just use prochem traffic clean as a prespray and it is decent, I use some prochem fabric and fibre rinse in the machines. Do a fairly good job so cant fault them but there probably is stronger stuff on the market but Im working on a limited budget so take what I can get.
Do want to get into hardfloor care too,have some basic knowledge on it such as using a buffer, stripping wax and such but hope to learn some more on that.

Any sort of advice or pointers would be appreciated! I dont mind the hard work and effort as I have ADHD and cant sit still, have done a few jobs and loved how involved and satisfying it is.

If anyone has any questions for me,just ask. Especially if they are vacuum cleaner based, I have a large personal collection mainly of Numatic machines and will not hesitate to help anyone if they have any numatic issues. Numatics are my life almost. Not a single model I havent touched out there.From the 1981 Henry HVC upto henries from a few months ago.

Mike Halliday

Re: New to the industry...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 06:06:44 am »
To answer one of your questions, a slow speed buffer is well worth the investment. They can be bought cheap off eBay. I think they are the best machine for agitating pre-spray and the also revitalise the pile of the carpet.

If used correctly then are quite safe to use on most carpets.

Having a rotary also allows you to ‘dry clean’ carpets using bonnets
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

dustee

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 07:54:17 pm »
A training course is advisable before start as more to carpet cleaning than just throwing any thing at it and hope for the best

from edge2edge

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 07:59:50 am »
Yes as stated get some(or lots) of training and defo get insurance