Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Melinda Scheffer

Novalife upholstery 'peeling'
« on: June 06, 2021, 05:40:07 pm »
Hi all,
I'm a newbie in carpet cleaning, I have made same online courses but still need to learn a lot and gain experience.
I have cleaned a novalife sofa couple of days ago. I have tested it on a hidden area and it seemed ok to wet clean. But during cleaning I saw kind of peeling of the fabric please see attached photo. Is it normal, or this novalife fabric was not suitable for wet cleaning? I was using Karcher cleaning product wich is ph 8.  Thank you for your thoughts in advance.
Melinda

MarkSutcliffe

Re: Novalife upholstery 'peeling'
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 09:44:27 pm »
Novalite us the crushed leather.. crackle fabric?

You can't clean them really, it's essentially sprayed fabric. 

Harvey's sold a lot if them as "leather", they're not.  You've possibly damaged the top coat.

Nobby

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 10:53:10 am »
I’m not familiar with the name ‘Novalife’ but it looks like a flocked fabric which is solvent sensitive. If it is flocked then straight forward non solvent cleaning should be safe but if a solvent boosted pre spray has be used or a solvent spotter that could cause delamination of the pile. Adhesive is used to bond the fabric to the backing material and solvents very often break the adhesive down causing the kind of problem you describe.
Hope this helps a little  and good luck.

dustee

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 08:31:02 pm »

What was your cleaning process from start to finish , what did you use to clean it with if chemical etc etc
How did you dry after

dustee

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 08:44:32 pm »
Don't take this personal but an online cleaning course will teach you jack $hit , you don't learn how to swim or ride a bike by doing an online course

Get yourself booked onto a proper cleaning course

Melinda Scheffer

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 04:10:06 pm »
Thank you for all of your answers.

I didn't used any solvent on this fabric I just used a Karcher cleaning product presprayed, extract with rinse and speed dry.

dustee

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 08:41:59 pm »
Karcher cleaning product !!!!! so what is this secret cleaning product

Nobby

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 09:29:56 am »
Did this happen all over the suite? In high wear areas only? Can you remove the ‘peeling’ fibres with your hand? Is the customer holding you responsible?

Same

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 01:58:45 pm »
Make an easy spray solution, 3/4 warm water, 1/4 white vinegar, and a small amount of detergent soup sprat them on the fabric scrub it with a good scrubber, and then wipe out with warm water, hope it will work for you.

Nobby

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 09:01:25 pm »
Hello Same, the problem is one of the fabric peeling or delaminating can you explain to us how scrubbing with vinegar and detergent can solve this problem? If gentle cleaning caused the problem I am fearful that if your advice is followed it will make the problem worse.
I ask this with the greatest respect but I am curious what the logic behind your method is.
Regards
Nobby

dustee

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 09:01:47 pm »
You learnt that of f/book by any chance and now an expert in cleaning