This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smudger

Pressure washer experts - question for you
« on: May 30, 2021, 01:55:46 pm »
Ok, anyone give me their opinion or feedback/experience with pressure washer drive shafts..

Having some problems with a machine, I took the pump and gearbox off to do maintenance on the engine and found it only had a 6mm key in the shaft instead of 1/4" so it was quite sloppy - the machine has rattled apart several times - would you think an undersized key would be a cause of this or am I just surmising and look for something more serious..

Cheers
Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

Re: Pressure washer experts - question for you
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 02:38:37 pm »
Ok, anyone give me their opinion or feedback/experience with pressure washer drive shafts..

Having some problems with a machine, I took the pump and gearbox off to do maintenance on the engine and found it only had a 6mm key in the shaft instead of 1/4" so it was quite sloppy - the machine has rattled apart several times - would you think an undersized key would be a cause of this or am I just surmising and look for something more serious..

Cheers
Darran

Sounds like that could be the cause of the rattle it would still work but will cause wear in the shaft and shorten it’s life although it’s only a tiny difference in size .

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 03:38:36 pm »
yes its only 0.3mm or .012" in old money - buy the tolerance in manufacture is -0.00 +0.02mm so using a 1/4" key is at worst 0.07 mm play ( 0.003" ) so 5 x,  that is a Huge amount in engineering terms

im thinks its knocking on every street up and possibly every time you pull the trigger to engage water flow

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 06:31:21 pm »
When the engine is running so is the pump, there is no repetitive kicking in on the drive shaft when you pull the trigger

I bet there is no movement, once the engine is started for the first time it will push the key against the small gap and seat itself there. If you think how difficult it can be to remove the pump or gearbox off the shaft I don’t think it’s just loose to allow movement

I wouldn’t worry about it
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

waterforce

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 09:21:13 pm »
What unloader is fitted to the machine?