This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

EnglishDave

Too much
« on: May 19, 2021, 04:33:00 pm »
Been colouring glass since 2006 and still wondering if I take too long and simply do not 'trust the system'. I have a pretty balanced round in that each day is a about the same money for the same time on the glass about 4.5 to 5.5 hr.

Run a 150psi pump/v16 controller/100 meter microbore/35cm brushes with 100/50 4 fan jets.  Tend to run ctlr around 25 to 40 depending and as a rough avg tend to use approx 500litres per day from a 650tank.

I am pretty methodical in the shapes I draw and tend to rinse on but what gives me most confidence is a good visual flow.

Don't get me wrong  it's only from time to time that I look at this.  Do you get doubts about your speed against cleanliness.

Sure we can watch YouTubers clean semi's in 8minutes but mainly thats just show and blow the real world is somewhat different.

Any tips and tricks?

Richard iSparkle

Re: Too much
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 04:48:15 pm »

Sure we can watch YouTubers clean semi's in 8minutes but mainly thats just show and blow the real world is somewhat different.

Any tips and tricks?

we do a simple semi in 8 minutes. a bit more if you include moving the van on and off the drive

we clean 4 weekly, you need to check the window before you start and only clean it the amount it requires. if its relatively clean when you get their clean everything once over, and we dont even rinse a lot of the time (if you flows high enough)

the trick like i say is only clean each window the amount it needs.

you are looking for a good enough finish, not a 'perfect finish'

when you are trying to speed up you need to be brave and trust in the method

thats pretty much it.

R
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

dd

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 04:51:29 pm »
If you are happy with what you earn and do a decent job I wouldn't worry too much.

For me the only time I really get to see if I have done a good job is on the rare occasion I do an inside job.

windowswashed

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 06:19:25 pm »
If you ain't cleaning enough you'll soon know as your customers will switch to someone else. Picked one up off another window cleaner today who never cleaned enough  ;D

Slacky

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 06:30:10 pm »
For me what determines how quick you can work is motivation/determination combined with flow of water.

Scrubbing is required but you only need scrub a minimal amount. Flow is what enables you to move on quicker to the next pane of glass. Whatever pump you have, run it on full. End of story.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 06:54:29 pm »
Been colouring glass since 2006 and still wondering if I take too long and simply do not 'trust the system'. I have a pretty balanced round in that each day is a about the same money for the same time on the glass about 4.5 to 5.5 hr.

Run a 150psi pump/v16 controller/100 meter microbore/35cm brushes with 100/50 4 fan jets.  Tend to run ctlr around 25 to 40 depending and as a rough avg tend to use approx 500litres per day from a 650tank.

I am pretty methodical in the shapes I draw and tend to rinse on but what gives me most confidence is a good visual flow.

Don't get me wrong  it's only from time to time that I look at this.  Do you get doubts about your speed against cleanliness.

Any tips and tricks?

yes....dont overthink it..... ;D

unless its a first clean im a splasher and dasher on maintenance cleans....i splash and dash the cream jobs that earn me £90-£120 per hour too.......its all about earning my money for the shortest amount of time possible then home time.....

price higher/work harder!

britishwill

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 10:35:12 pm »
Sorry Dazmond.

Are you suggesting as a single operator you earn £90-£120 an hour.. Wow that's very good.
Is that your best work rate or you're average over the week?
Sorry to be nosey but I have only achieve this rate per hour for 2 - people.\

Would be good to learn how to increase out]r rate per hour

Gringo

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 10:56:05 am »
Did you not know Bragmondo has heated seats, full of muscles with a fit bird, so sky's the limit for that fella

Gringo

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 10:56:59 am »
And plays drums which helps with hand speed

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 03:28:11 pm »
Sorry Dazmond.

Are you suggesting as a single operator you earn £90-£120 an hour.. Wow that's very good.
Is that your best work rate or you're average over the week?
Sorry to be nosey but I have only achieve this rate per hour for 2 - people.\

Would be good to learn how to increase out]r rate per hour

that rate  is only the odd hour here and there not an average! but nice when the jobs come round....its commercial jobs although the odd domestic i can hit £80 an hour...i still splash and dash em just like the rest.... ;D

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 03:45:26 pm »
Not posted for a while. Hope everyone is keeping well.
We are slow, and yes I have doubted my/our (all operators trained the same way) technique over the years.
I have found though, that, customers like slow and steady, a real good value for money job. It seems to be a winning formula for us. A one operator van will clean around 15 to 20 average size 3 bed houses a day, (quite compact and a few conservatories)
Hope this helps.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 06:36:16 pm »

Any tips and tricks?

we re all different...i cant stand fan jets or 35cm brushes for window cleaning....i like working with hot water, xtreme brushes(or supreme brushes)and standard pencil jets...imo pencil jets are much more accurate to avoid splashing water on dodgy rubber seals and dont make a ridiculously loud noise like fans......

Bungle

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 06:39:27 pm »
We are slow, and yes I have doubted my/our (all operators trained the same way) technique over the years.
I have found though, that, customers like slow and steady, a real good value for money job. It seems to be a winning formula for us. A one operator van will clean around 15 to 20 average size 3 bed houses a day, (quite compact and a few conservatories)
Hope this helps.

If they're in and it's an overpriced job I slow down. If they're out I splash and dash 😂
We look at them, they look through them.

zesty

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 07:12:45 am »
Hope this helps.

If they're in and it's an overpriced job I slow down. If they're out I splash and dash 😂

Had that the other day, new customer, standard 4 bed house, nice and easy, not many windows. Right on a road with several others I clean. Perfect job really.

Quoted £25 for a first clean and said might drop it to £18 for a monthly clean.

Cleaned it in 10 mins, she said ‘I expected you to take longer to be honest’

I always say (in a respectful way) you’re not paying for my time, you’re paying for clean windows.

Anyway, she’s decided to not have the regular clean  ;D

To the OP, i work on a monthly round, so the windows are never that dirty, you only need a few scrubs then a rinse. I also use high flow. I think it’s a personality thing, if you’re a very cautious, careful person, you’ll take longer to clean a window than someone who’s more confident in the technique and speed.

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 09:55:11 am »
Hope this helps.

Had that the other day, new customer, standard 4 bed house, nice and easy, not many windows. Right on a road with several others I clean. Perfect job really.

I always say (in a respectful way) you’re not paying for my time, you’re paying for clean windows.

To the OP, i work on a monthly round, so the windows are never that dirty, you only need a few scrubs then a rinse. I also use high flow. I think it’s a personality thing, if you’re a very cautious, careful person, you’ll take longer to clean a window than someone who’s more confident in the technique and speed.

personally i think that was a rude thing to say to a new customer who doesnt know you,i wouldnt say it,i also would of took longer on a first clean if they were in......

i cant get my head round you saying "i might drop your price down to £18 on a monthly clean" either......its flippant and not very sure....i would be matter of fact and say "its £xxx for a regular clean"....

first impressions count......IMO your attitude to this customer on this occasion was wrong....

NWH

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 11:23:30 am »
I don’t normally charge for a first clean unless they are ridiculously dirty,you need to suss them out first as a potential ongoing customer.
Nearly everything is recommended so they know the score from the off the chances are they’ve chatted to the person that’s recommended me,if you price properly the odd bit of time spent on the first one soon gets forgotten.

zesty

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 11:29:24 am »
Hope this helps.

personally i think that was a rude thing to say to a new customer who doesnt know you,i wouldnt say it,i also would of took longer on a first clean if they were in......

i cant get my head round you saying "i might drop your price down to £18 on a monthly clean" either......its flippant and not very sure....i would be matter of fact and say "its £xxx for a regular clean"....

first impressions count......IMO your attitude to this customer on this occasion was wrong....

Daz read the post properly, you have a habit of this, not reading things clearly, as I said (in a respectful way) which means, in a respectful way!

It wasn’t said rudely. It is a true fact, I’m there to clean windows, not spend as much time as I can.

I say it like this ‘yes it’s one of those jobs that’s very quick, but I always say to customers, it’s the end result that matters, not the time taken’. — that’s what I mean by a respectful way Daz.

As for the £18, she asked what a regular clean would be before I left, I said ‘I might be able to drop it to £18 if you take up a monthly clean, just let me know’ In other words, I’ll do you a a favour and knock off £7. Sometimes you have to be there to hear the conversation. To understand the context. I could have said £18 flat. But it was a way of letting her know there is some movement on a regular clean that we can discuss. I didn’t particularly want her business to be honest. Though it would be a decent clean at £18 odd. 

She never let me know, which I expected as she was very annoyed at how efficient the WFP system is. Some people don’t like to part with money unless the person providing the service is sweating and working hard. She’s one of them.

dd

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 11:44:54 am »
I am surprised you could do it in 10 minutes on a first clean though.

I am sometimes tempted to slow down on some jobs when the customer is home, but try to change my mindset on this. We shouldn't have to hide if we are efficient at our job.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 12:36:22 pm »
I always charge extra for a first clean.

Always.

If a customer does not understand that then we aren't going to be a good fit going forward.

I am more attentive on a first clean as I am getting the windows to standard and preparing them for the regular work that is to come.

If I priced at say £25 first clean then £18 every 8 weeks I would spend at least 40 minutes if the customer was home.

A bit of extra sill wiping and looking at a window carefully goes down well.

Then I would hope to do it in 15 minutes at a brisk pace in the future. But if they were home I'd take 20. 🤣
It's a game of three halves!

zesty

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 02:22:07 pm »
I am surprised you could do it in 10 minutes on a first clean though.

I am sometimes tempted to slow down on some jobs when the customer is home, but try to change my mindset on this. We shouldn't have to hide if we are efficient at our job.

I’ve got to the stage where I’m not interested in slowing down to justify my prices.

Too busy for that these days.