This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jack Judd

Window Cleaning Resources for a New Employee
« on: April 11, 2021, 08:05:17 pm »
Made the mistake of teaching everything I know to a young lad who now is ready to fly the nest, and wants to drop down from 5 days to 3 days.    Have not documented anything I have taught him and now need to take on someone else.  I dont want to reinvent the wheel and dont have time to create the manual I would like to on how to clean windows , etc etc.  I will start to create sucha document, but does anyone have a employee guide / manual that I can edit / look at / copy/ be inspired by.  Or if not where I could go to find such a bible, or happy to offer a little payment for such a document.    Also has anyone looked at or used the current Government apprentenship scheme.  High five to all

Smudger

Re: Window Cleaning Resources for a New Employee
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:14:14 pm »
I know exactly what you want - I have planned this for the last 5 years - just don't get time to create it!

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Ggh

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:15:12 pm »
SOP type thing?
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 09:23:52 pm »
the best thing to do is make notes as you got this time so next time you've got something to go on...

also just a comment... i got myself in a mess recently with 2 great long term employees going down to 3 days so they could start moving on..  at the time it saved me the ball ache of needing to replace them right away... i just got an older part timer in... but what happened is for the last 12 months i;ve had 2 staff with their head on their new jobs or livelihoods... being less and less enthusiastic about work as they are leaving,..  and less incentive to keep grafting as they have income coming in elsewhere...

and on top of that the part timer was learning their attitude as the norm for us and he started moaning about what he was expected to do when the others weren't doing it... etc etc

it won't happen again next time to me.. if someone wants to leave we'll agree a date and i'll recruit to replace them.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

NWH

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 10:23:35 pm »
Sorry I was just whistling to myself 🤣.

jim bean

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 10:48:18 pm »
This is always gonna happen in this game. Employees for the first week or two will be losing you money if learning on the job from the off. Manuals can only go over basic techniques on the glass - experience is the only way to learn properly.

Also I think you learn how to clean each job individually, remembering little things from every job that make the job smoother and faster

Even after a year orso employed I’m still teaching them little bits and bobs probably weekly as least

NWH

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 11:00:47 pm »
Jim I’m getting a worried that you are actually in my head m8 at last someone with sense has come on here. 👌

NWH

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 11:03:02 pm »
Every single persons work is different it takes months and months to learn a route of work like mine,as Jim says it takes a long time to learn how to clean certain jobs when you’ll know the problem windows etc.
A window cleaning manual is about as useful as paper knickers.

Dry Clean

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 08:24:49 am »
What about something like this,

NWH

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 08:30:44 am »
Yeah well done m8 there’s a few on here that need to give that to their staff and employers.

Slacky

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 08:31:39 am »
Especially those who cant clean windows unless they use hot water.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 11:41:28 am »
Working lovely in the snow today m8 melting the cobwebs away and the hose is like just cooked spaghetti Mmmmmm,slap slap slap like a tarts headboard electrically reeling in with cold hose today eh 👌

swanson

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 07:55:32 pm »
Wish I had a ho5 water system
My hands was bloody freezing this morning.
Your a lucky man NWH 

swanson

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 07:57:35 pm »
Some good news though
Got myself the new 3D Power up hose reel arrived today ;D

NWH

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 08:37:53 pm »
That’s a good move you’ll wish you’d had it ages ago make sure if you use cold water that you try and straighten out the hose before you wind it in,with cold water it can come in quick and almost break you’re wrist when it’s even slightly kinked.
With hot water it’s so much softer and the kinks almost sort thereselves out on the way in and if it does kink it won’t almost take you’re hand off,biggest reason for chain snaps or chain coming off is the hose being to stiff and stop starting because it’s badly kinked  with cold stiff hose.

Always shining

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:36 pm »
Seriously! It was cold for no time at all. Where have all the backbones gone 😀
Sorry NWH just an old time dinosaur talking!
I lived through the day though to be fair 😀

Always shining

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 09:13:43 pm »
Lived ‘after’ such a terrible day! 😀

NWH

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 09:41:34 pm »
No it wasn’t cold but it was a very weird day where I was working it was full on snow and laying and then 4 hours later it was like a summers day.

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 11:38:02 pm »
I've trained up a couple now, waste of time employees are. Pita for months then bugger off and leave you in tbe poope.  :D

NWH

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 11:50:18 pm »
Been saying it for years.