This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NBwcs

Aquarium heaters
« on: April 06, 2021, 09:05:41 pm »

Been using an aquarium heater for absolutely years when forecast was for sub zero, just to keep tank from icing up and never had a prob. Would get a cheap one on ebay, about £10 to £15 with 2 pin plug and adapter, quite probably from China.This ones about a year old and hadn't given me any cause for concern. Never again. Went to the van this morning and it stank of burning plastic. If you've got one, do yourself a favour and get rid, just not worth the risk, I was lucky last night, and got away with it, it didn't trip out, it was fully functioning still when I got to it. Get a good quality one or better still an oil filled rad. I've been breathing it in all day, I can still taste it.

windowswashed

Re: Aquarium heaters
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 09:40:13 pm »
I wouldn't trust any electrical appliance that come out of China, never have, never will. Always insist on the British kitemark for a reason.....safety knowing it's been tested and approved for Uk market.

Ched

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 10:34:09 pm »
Those adapters are lethal. They have no fuse in so if something goes wrong with appliance or the caballing to it there is no protection other than via your extension cable or your fuse board. So the cable on heater can easily get enough current to catch fire.
Put a proper uk plug on it would be a little safer.

Granny

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 08:29:35 am »
A few months ago whenever we boiled the kettle we could smell an awful fishy smell.
We changed the kettle.
A few weeks later exactly the same thing.
Suspected the water, changed the filter - still the same.
Checked the kettle and plug, the plastic at the top of the live pin was all deformed and melted just like the one in the picture.
The old kettle was in the garage I checked the plug and it was all melted just the same.
The plastic on these plugs, a supposed safety feature is a death trap, the plastic is just not up to the job.
I changed the plug to an older one with solid brass pins - not a problem since.

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 09:31:35 am »
We just had that fishy smell every time the shower was used !
I thought it was the shower trap that had gunged up , then I sniffed the isolator switch for the shower and it was that , all changed and no more fish !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Ched

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 02:44:10 pm »
A few months ago whenever we boiled the kettle we could smell an awful fishy smell.
We changed the kettle.
A few weeks later exactly the same thing.
Suspected the water, changed the filter - still the same.
Checked the kettle and plug, the plastic at the top of the live pin was all deformed and melted just like the one in the picture.
The old kettle was in the garage I checked the plug and it was all melted just the same.
The plastic on these plugs, a supposed safety feature is a death trap, the plastic is just not up to the job.
I changed the plug to an older one with solid brass pins - not a problem since.
I would get the wall socket changes as it looks like the connections are worn and could cause a fire! When they are worn the don't push as hard on the plug, this leads to high resistance which leads to heat!!!
The plastic bits are so that when you pull the plug out even if you put your fingers behind the plug you cant touch live parts.

Slacky

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 04:54:22 pm »
We just had that fishy smell every time the shower was used !
I thought it was the shower trap that had gunged up , then I sniffed the isolator switch for the shower and it was that , all changed and no more fish !

Are you sure it wasn’t your armpits?

NWH

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 04:15:43 pm »
Mama always says stupid is as stupid does Forest lol,ahhhhhhh Webastoeeeeeeee.