Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

CarpetKlean Rod

Motor / Engine Oil
« on: March 18, 2021, 04:07:04 pm »
Hi Guys,

One of the offices I clean is a motor oil distribution warehouse, they obviously have spills and over the months their new carpet has stains throughout it and traffic marks from where the ware house staff pop into the office.
The carpet is luckily a dark colour which is tiled and very short pile. Standard office carpet on what looks like black bitumen.

Have many of you had success in removing oil from office carpets, my worry would be about using a solvent and damaging the backing, what is the best pre spray / rinse you have found, I am a clean smart guy but open to any other products.

john martin

Re: Motor / Engine Oil New
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 06:45:55 pm »
It might not actually be that hard to break up  , until you try you wont know .  Id start with a basic detergent, see what thats doing and go from there . If your a cleansmart guy perhaps orange -x   ?
This is what i have on the van for the nasty ones  ... evans rubicon   ,   PH 13   , mostly strong detergent mix  , a bit of terpene in there too but cant see it causing solvent issues , scrub in with rotary and white/red pad.
http://www.totalcleaningsupplies.co.uk/evans-rubicon-oil-grease-remover.html
They practically give this stuff away considering the thickness of it and the low price . lasts ages .
If theres  foot prints after that  ,  id have low odour white spirit in a spray bottle and spray and extract each spot without dwell , never seen a backing problem like that .

premier floorcare

Re: Motor / Engine Oil
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 08:34:49 pm »
Getting oil out of a carpet/carpet tile most likely made of nylon or polyprop your already onto a lost cause. High alkaline is a way to go maybe with added citrus based solvent but I would stick to carpet specific detergents or if you prefer micro splitters. They are less likely to bite you in the backside than using a hard floor specific detergent. And I would go with prevention rather than cure, advise increased oil specific contaminant barrier matting and the use of shoe covers when moving between workshop and office areas.