Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

CarpetKlean Rod

Non wool safe on wool.
« on: March 15, 2021, 02:28:07 pm »

Hi Guys what happens if you use a non wool safe product on wool or a wool blend, something like Split - X  ?
I havent done it just curious what happens and if it can be undone ?

Thanks

mjm

Re: Non wool safe on wool.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 05:43:33 pm »
I use split x on 100% carpets I have had no issues.  I put it back n a hydaforce.   Mix it with orange x and deoderizer and spray.    No issues. 

Lewis Newby

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 06:15:37 pm »
Realistically, wool is perhaps more hardy then is made out at times. If your customer has a woolsafe registered/warrantied carpet then they will ask for an accredited woolsafe cleaner to frequently clean it within woolsafe practice to uphold it's warranty - or as far as I'm aware this was/is the case?

If you have a trashed wool carpet then realistically woolsafe is likely out the window anyway either it's not been done often enough or perhaps customer just didn't know or care. I have used strong products on wool in the past ,dictated by the soiling . Do your tests and use the least aggressive product you can get away with and if your using hi pH be sure to neutralize and always test first

scott johns

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 06:27:02 pm »
wool should always be cleaned with wool safe products as you will be breaking the cuticle down thats the outer shell of the fibre.
once you have broken that down you cant reverse it

Robin Ray

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 07:20:31 pm »
What makes a woolsafe product a woolsafe product is testing and a certificate. There are many products out there which if tested would also be woolsafe. The only reason they are not is because it costs lots of money to test a product. The woolsafe organization is a business which makes money from giving certificates to manufactures then training people to use those products. That doesn't mean those products are no good, and it doesn't mean the woolsafe organizations training is wrong. What it does mean though is there are loads of products our there which are fine to use on wool, but don't have the "mark" .

So what makes a woolsafe product woolsafe? Most training courses teach what is safe to use on wool and why. So training whether from woolsafe or not is an essential. However if you look at what is common about woolsafe products you can work it out. (these are very general points)Presprays Ph are generally under 9.5, extraction solutions are generally under ph 8.5, Most guidance is to leave the fabric or carpet neutral or slightly acidic by rinsing with an acid rinse unless products self neutralize. Sodium percarbonate is not in woolsafe products.  From that you can see there is quite a wide variety of products out there which could be safe to use on wool, but are not "woolsafe"

Apart from all of that you can use quite a wide range of products which are out of the "woolsafe", or safe to use on wool definition, if you need to solve a problem.  Sometimes a carpet can be so heavily soiled a woolsafe product just wont get it clean. Using a higher ph product can often salvage that carpet. The key to all of this is learning what products contain, what those products do to certain surfaces, and why. Then you can make your own mind up about what is appropriate at the time. 

CarpetKlean Rod

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 09:34:13 am »
Thanks guys, that was very informative.

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 02:12:13 pm »
for me it keeps the "feel" by using woolsafe. one big reason people use wool and not manmade.