This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Foxall

New business
« on: January 29, 2021, 07:24:02 am »
Hi Forum,
Just after some advice please.
I’ve started my own HandyMan business (last year during lockdown!) and I’ve fast found that I love to pressure wash!
So much so that I’d like to start to take the business solely in that direction.

So I’m looking for advice along these lines.
I’m based in Bridgend, South Wales.
I have some domestic experience of pressure washing. I understand the basics; avoiding damage, health and safety, ppe, etc. I’ve also done a few, fairly large pressure washing jobs so far.
I’d like to get properly trained and certified. I’m also very open to joining an existing business, or franchising one perhaps?

Like I say, any advice welcome  😁

Thanks!

Smudger

Re: New business
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 11:00:37 am »
Welcome and I wish you very best in getting your business off the ground...

I am unaware of any training/certificates you can get for pressure washing - but might be worth looking at city and guilds etc..

I think experience is the best way to learn - watch some training videos ( but don't take everything they say as the only way to do things )

what's your set up?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Ian Foxall

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 01:07:18 pm »
Welcome and I wish you very best in getting your business off the ground...

I am unaware......

Hi, thanks for your comments.
At the moment, that’s how I’m going. I just do the odd job here and there and I’m learning all the time.
I don’t have a pro setup at the moment by any means. I’ve got myself a top-end Wilks electric machine, which I feel performs really well. But if I go to bigger jobs, it will no doubt need to be upgraded.
I have a ‘personal’ K2 machine that I use for cleaning guttering, fascias, etc as I feel that the lesser pressure is better.

I’m really loving doing these jobs.
I did a house this week (guttering, fascias, patio, paths, drive, walls) and I was in my element all day. Loved it. And more importantly, the customers were very pleased.

I just wonder if I can make it a full time go-er!

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 02:05:22 pm »
you can but not with those toys...

sorry they will neither have the power or staying power to run a biz on...

you said you cleaned a house - and was on it all day ?  what did you charge for this ?

I will say although you can clean s/f/g with pressure washers its not the best way as you risk getting water ingress into the roof space - did you use a long lance ?? how did you access the gutters?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Ian Foxall

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 09:14:34 pm »

you said you cleaned a house - and was on it all day ?  what did you charge for this ?

I will say although you can clean s/f/g with pressure washers its not the best way as you risk getting water ingress into the roof space - did you use a long lance ?? how did you access the gutters?

Darran

No sure, if I went full time I’d need to invest in the correct kit...no doubt. But I need to take the advice and will assess if I have a chance to get this going or not.

Understand about water ingress. I used the old-school method of up a ladder, with a gutter cleaning adaptor for the K2 lance. 
Washing the soffits/fascias on lowest pressure setting avoiding venting/gapping.
I did/do have a lance, but it’s very very heavy when water flowing though it that I don’t use it.

Price wise, I charged a days labour for the whole task. So that’s £150 for me.

I should mention that I’m struggling with my price point. I don’t know if £150 for a day rate is extortion or charity. I have clients that laugh at me and say I need to up my prices; but I also have lost jobs that (I believe) were down to cost.
So I need some advice on my price points!!

Thanks again forum 👍

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 09:38:51 pm »

Darran

No sure, if I went full time I’d need to invest in the correct kit...no doubt. But I need to take the advice and will assess if I have a chance to get this going or not.

Understand about water ingress. I used the old-school method of up a ladder, with a gutter cleaning adaptor for the K2 lance. 
Washing the soffits/fascias on lowest pressure setting avoiding venting/gapping.
I did/do have a lance, but it’s very very heavy when water flowing though it that I don’t use it.

Price wise, I charged a days labour for the whole task. So that’s £150 for me.

I should mention that I’m struggling with my price point. I don’t know if £150 for a day rate is extortion or charity. I have clients that laugh at me and say I need to up my prices; but I also have lost jobs that (I believe) were down to cost.
So I need some advice on my price points!!

Thanks again forum 👍

I would say you need to double your prices at least , way to cheap , sorry

Ian Foxall

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:57:21 pm »
I would say you need to double your prices at least , way to cheap , sorry

No need to apologise...I’m new to the business side so no idea what’s right or fair!

I go with £150 for the day, for any of the jobs I do...painting, pw, etc.

Do you mean too cheap for pw jobs, or in general.

Cheers

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 10:09:20 pm »
Way too cheap for pressure washing and gutter clearing - you might think its easy for some us to say that but you need to bear in mind you are offering a bespoke 1 off service - so you got £150 today - what will you earn tomorrow ? or when on holiday or worse sick - what about running costs.......
All these need to be taken into the pricing - I would be (while your learning) be charging £60 p/h - but you need to know how long a job will take you - so gutter clear would be charged at 1hr washing soffit/fascia/ gutters 2 hrs (tops)  but this would be with a gutter vac and using water fed pole - I would suggest you do s/fg/ cleaning this way - buy a cheap clx pole from gardeners (20 to 25 ft) you don't need pure water get the correct adaptors to run off an outside tap - better results, quicker and less mess

Stick to your price and be confident - there are always people that don't want to pay a fair price for work - if you start out cheap you will always be working cheap

Darran

Ian Foxall

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 06:10:06 pm »
Way too cheap for pressure washing and gutter clearing - you might think its easy for some us to say that but you need to bear in mind you are offering a bespoke 1 off service - so you got £150 today - what will you earn tomorrow ? or when on holiday or worse sick - what about running costs.......
All these need to be taken into the pricing - I would be (while your learning) be charging £60 p/h - but you need to know how long a job will take you - so gutter clear would be charged at 1hr washing soffit/fascia/ gutters 2 hrs (tops)  but this would be with a gutter vac and using water fed pole - I would suggest you do s/fg/ cleaning this way - buy a cheap clx pole from gardeners (20 to 25 ft) you don't need pure water get the correct adaptors to run off an outside tap - better results, quicker and less mess

Stick to your price and be confident - there are always people that don't want to pay a fair price for work - if you start out cheap you will always be working cheap

Darran

Thanks, that’s really interesting to hear.
I’m really keen to get going on pressure washing and I guess g/f/s & roofing fits very nicely.

Problem (as you elude to) is I don’t have much financial reserves to invest in equipment right now, so could be a slow burner of a business.
I’d hope that I can get this going quickly though.

I really appreciate the advice though, thank you

Splash & dash

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 07:01:12 pm »
Totally agree with Darran , We have a minimum  set up fee of £150 for any pressure washing job fuel for  the day depending what you have will be £15-25 , then there is ware and tear replacing stuff as it brakes servicing etc , I would say you should be aiming for £250-350 per day at least we don’t do huge amounts of pw but we do get the majority of quotes . Hope it works out for you don’t let the customers bully you on price stick to your guns but remember you won’t get every job .

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 11:10:47 pm »
In the very begining I hired a petrol Honda - yes it ate into my price slightly but I also allowed for the hire the reward was much better quality job and faster cleaning times.

If you can find a decent hire shop a half tide Honda 3000 psi 15 LPM will set you back about 60 notes

Darran

Ian Foxall

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 07:33:40 pm »
Thanks guys, you’ve been really helpful I appreciate it massively.
A lot of food for thought 👍👍