This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

TomCrowther

high mileage vans
« on: January 11, 2021, 11:50:04 am »
I'm after a second van and wondered what the general feedback is on buying one owner, fsh but high mileage vans.
As an example looking at a Renault Master 2.3dci with 170k, four years old.
I'm of the opinion that this would be better than say an eight year old van with 90k but i might be completely wrong. My window cleaning van I bought new in 2012 and runs like a dream but it's not done 40k yet.
I need it for pressure washing and roof cleaning. The Vivaro I have can't handle the weight.
Cheers

Mike Burd

Re: high mileage vans
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 12:15:22 pm »
I'm after a second van and wondered what the general feedback is on buying one owner, fsh but high mileage vans.
As an example looking at a Renault Master 2.3dci with 170k, four years old.
I'm of the opinion that this would be better than say an eight year old van with 90k but i might be completely wrong. My window cleaning van I bought new in 2012 and runs like a dream but it's not done 40k yet.
I need it for pressure washing and roof cleaning. The Vivaro I have can't handle the weight.
Cheers
I think I’d rather have a 10 year old van with 60k.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:55:26 pm »
Depends on how its been looked after.
Big one is oil and filter change on time.

Innocence & Experience

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 05:04:26 pm »
High Mileage must have FSH, regular oil changes very important.
Dont be put off by higher mileage vehicles as engines are built to run,  not travel many short journeys - the history is more important than the mileage but of course must be reflected in the price.
I'm currently running a 2013 Berlingo with 226000 miles, FSH , one company owner - When i bought it, it looked brand new despite its 224000 miles - it had spent its life up & down the motorway delivering medical bits & bobs!
12 months on and it hasn't let me down once - probably jinxed it now!!
The bargains are out ther,  just depends what your priorities are.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 05:13:45 pm »
Why would you want to buy a van with that amount of miles on it,you are buying something that will need in a lot of cases loads spending and doing on it even if it has every service stamp it’s been to the Caribbean and back 17-18 times.

jk999

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 07:01:22 pm »
Wouldn't touch with a barge pole ,it's not just the engine that's done 200 and odd thousand miles it's the rest of van aswell

Dave Willis

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 07:33:30 pm »
I wouldn’t touch a VW with that milage but a Citroen’s alright.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 07:36:30 pm »
Lol yeah stay away from them VWdubs ask a fitter about french  vans he won’t have a clue,ask a mechanic he will tell you the french can’t make vans 😉

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 08:02:32 pm »
Germans make good tanks tho  8)

Personally I wouldn't go for that high mileage - the vivaro I got from Anglian water FSH etc... 117k. - within the year the ejectors went - which lead to a bad gearbox re-fit - then the clutch etc.... good thing is the bodywork is great and makes a great advertising hoarding while sat at the side of the road waiting for the AA  ;D

Out of the 2 I would go for lower mileage and slightly older - as long as the bodywork is sound - for me I have 2 really good mechanics that can usually turn the van around in 24hrs - but isf the bodywork goes everything looks tatty and I don't know any good body shop repairers

other than transit a ten year old van should serve you well for another 6+ ( depending on its service history )

I would set a limit of 90k maximum milage and see what comes up

Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 08:29:29 pm »
No idea if the price is good !

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

TomCrowther

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 06:19:38 pm »
Cheers for the replies. The one I as looking at was already sold, add hadn't been updated. Looking at a few more but the decent looking ones age/mileage see to sell fast.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 08:25:22 am »
Are vans not like triggers broom? lots of parts that are replaceable  what kills vans is bodywork issues,  my last van was mechanically perfect but the floor was in the back rusted through.

A 3yrs old van has a perfect body even if has been driven 200k miles the shocks, alternator starter motor, clutch can all be replaced
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Burd

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 09:26:37 am »
Are vans not like triggers broom? lots of parts that are replaceable  what kills vans is bodywork issues,  my last van was mechanically perfect but the floor was in the back rusted through.

A 3yrs old van has a perfect body even if has been driven 200k miles the shocks, alternator starter motor, clutch can all be replaced
Isn't it use that wears out the body? 100,000 miles on wet roads will do more damage than 30,000.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 10:31:22 am »
They say all vans these days are galvanised dipped though some must be dipped better than others by the look of them.

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 12:32:11 pm »
At the end of the day its pot luck.

Obviously the older and higher mileage a van the more likely you are to have more problems. But its not always the case because a 60k van could be on the verge of blowing a turbo, clutch, timing belt etc as the work hasnt been done.

So a really thorough service history helps.. But again its still pot luck.

I bough a van with 280k on and owned 2 years without a problem. But the one I bought after with 120k turbo and clutch went within a year.

TomCrowther

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 02:27:24 pm »
I know you are all wondering what I opted for? Went for a 2017 Renault Master 2.3dci mm35 130k. Looks pretty much like a new van,  very smart cabin, just the very odd ding. FSH. Tall enough to stand up in {I'm 6'4"} and loads of space- 3m x1.75. 
Fingers crossed but it looks like a decent van.
I'm sure the neighbours will be thrilled.

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 03:36:58 pm »
How much  :D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

TomCrowther

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 06:27:04 pm »
£8600 plus vat.

Terry A

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 10:00:31 am »
I'm a big fan of the Renault Master.I'm on my 2nd one.
This one had done 105k when I bought it and was less than 2yrs old.It had spent it's days on the motorway and was well serviced so I went for it.
Glad I did it's a beauty.I'm sure it'll serve you well.

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 11:27:02 pm »
£8600 plus vat.

I think that's a reasonable - if something did go you haven't paid top dollar for it

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk