Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David Bucknall

Removing ingrained smell from melamine faced furniture
« on: December 10, 2020, 08:27:46 pm »
Hi.
I was told you guys in the carpet cleaning section might be able to help me?
If anyone can that would be amazing!
I have a customer who bought a 2nd piece of furniture which was previously in the home of a heavy smoker. It stinks of cigarettes and some pretty bad  smelling air freshener.
I have given it 2 washes with sugar soap, 1 with Cif, 1 with Flash and then 2 soaks with a biological animal urine smell and stain remover. It still stinks! The fAg smell has mostly gone but the grim smelling air freshener isn’t budging.
Does anyone have a magic product that will fix this issue?
Thanks!!

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Removing ingrained smell from melamine faced furniture
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 09:35:53 pm »
Is it fabric? Leather? Plastic? Wood??

derikraven

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 05:56:19 am »
I always thought melamine was a plastic . I can't see how a plastic could retain an odour. ???

David Bucknall

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 06:13:26 am »
Melamine is a plastic laminate on a chipboard core. It's the same stuff most kitchen cabinets are made out of. I've scrubbed the crap out of it 6 times and it still stinks. I don't think the enzyme based cat urine odour remover stuff I finished up with works either because the dodgy air freshner that's been used on it was a man made chemical. Ideally I need a cleaning solution that will break down that scent.

David Bucknall

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 06:16:40 am »
Is it fabric? Leather? Plastic? Wood??

Melamine faced chipboard, the same stuff as most kitchen cabinets are made out of.
Thanks.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 04:50:35 pm »
Sorry I didn’t read it properly,,

Nicotine is a sticky tar so I’d go for a degreaser to remove it even more then the ideal way would be ozone treat it with an ozone machine that’s how we used to do it after a fire.

David Bucknall

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 09:10:40 am »
Thanks Shaun.
I managed to pretty much get it with 1/2 a cup of amonia, 1/2 a cup of baking powder, 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 4 pints of hot water.  If I stick my nose directly on the melamine I can very slightly smell it, but as long as I don't do that the smell is undetectable.
I found a good internet article with various options, including ozone. I thought I'd try the cheapest one first!

https://www.mychemicalfreehouse.net/2020/05/how-to-remove-fragrance-air-freshener-smoke-residue.html

Thanks for your reply.
Dave.

Elfyn

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 09:32:03 am »
ozone generator

Shaun_Ashmore

Yada Yada Yada - www.m-clean.uk

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 08:20:00 pm »
I'm going to get some of that just on the words on the Restormate link -  Maladors & putrefaction!!