This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

robert mitchell

ionics thermopure
« on: December 08, 2020, 11:12:35 am »
Does anybody know what the summer/winter switch actually does ?  i have not noticed any difference in heat on either setting.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Splash & dash

Re: ionics thermopure
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 02:14:23 pm »
Does anybody know what the summer/winter switch actually does ?  i have not noticed any difference in heat on either setting.

Summer setting will give more heat  winter  setting reduced heat

NWH

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 03:29:24 pm »
No different to the Grippa heater on mine you just turn it down to minimum on each of the heat exchangers externally  it’s still smokes like a bonfire on the glass not as hot though.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 04:41:55 pm »

shouldnt that be the other way round?less heat in the warmer months and hotter in the winter months?as a lot of heat is lost from the hose on a cold day in winter.....in summer it can be uncomfortable to hold the hose because its that hot on a warm day that i sometimes turn my boiler off at lunchtime......i can get up to  70c at the brush head in summer!
price higher/work harder!

robert mitchell

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 04:45:36 pm »

shouldnt that be the other way round?less heat in the warmer months and hotter in the winter months?as a lot of heat is lost from the hose on a cold day in winter.....in summer it can be uncomfortable to hold the hose because its that hot on a warm day that i sometimes turn my boiler off at lunchtime......i can get up to  70c at the brush head in summer!

This is what im trying to work out , my system has temp gauge and seems to get up to 80c on either setting.

Ched

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 04:45:58 pm »

Maybe it's to try and stop cracking windows as in winter glass colder so bigger temp differential.

dd

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 04:49:15 pm »

No. Less heat in winter as you do not want to crack glass. I think your heater will chuck out more heat in winter now Daz, as it should now be working more efficiently.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 04:52:12 pm »
I know they lose a bit of heat Daz but mine has been kettle hot I’ve turned it minimum last week or so,when you put one of those heaters in a Transporter they work far better 🤣🤣🤣🤣

robert mitchell

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 05:10:21 pm »

No. Less heat in winter as you do not want to crack glass. I think your heater will chuck out more heat in winter now Daz, as it should now be working more efficiently.

Is that official from the ionics thermopure handbook or are you just assuming?

dd

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 05:23:20 pm »

I used to have 5kw Webasto from Pure Freedom. It is based on the understanding I had from that (discussion with PF comparing there unit with Ionics). I am 95% sure it is true. You do not want to expose cold glass to sudden high temperature. If you find no difference on either setting maybe the switch is faulty.

robert mitchell

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 05:30:25 pm »

I used to have 5kw Webasto from Pure Freedom. It is based on the understanding I had from that (discussion with PF comparing there unit with Ionics). I am 95% sure it is true. You do not want to expose cold glass to sudden high temperature. If you find no difference on either setting maybe the switch is faulty.

I have been using hot for around three years and a bit now , my first one was a purefreedom on , always had it as hot as possible and never cracked a window ,

NWH

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 05:36:51 pm »
That Squeaky clean did a test  on glass units outside covered in snow and frost with a kettle of hot water,you can’t test glass like that unless it’s in a frame and if there is any imperfections in the glass it will find them and crack I’ve done a few.
You have to be a bit sensible it will crack glass even in summer months if like I say the glass already has a crack or damage,I cracked a newly installed PVC unit 130 notes in the middle of summer still love hot though 👌

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 05:40:37 pm »
in winter

1.starting temperature of your tank water is much lower before heating
2.you lose A LOT of heat from the hose with 100m on freezing ground

so it stands to reason to have it on full heat setting during the winter months

in summer

1.starting temperature of your tank water is much higher before heating
2.lots of heat is retained in the hose

so it stands to reason to turn it down in summer

i just leave mine on full heat setting all year round.....the mixer valves are rubbish anyway on these heaters IMO.....

NWH

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 06:04:21 pm »
Now you’ve got a proper heater you might think again this time next week m8,honestly I filled a plastic bottle up last week and it deformed it was too hot to hold first thing in the morning, lately it has been very cold where I’ve been you need to clean quickly and rinse as you go if it’s on full heat it definitely crack glass I’ve been getting it up to temperature and then turn it off for the first couple of jobs out in the sticks then back on.

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 06:43:54 pm »
Now you’ve got a proper heater you might think again this time next week m8,honestly I filled a plastic bottle up last week and it deformed it was too hot to hold first thing in the morning, lately it has been very cold where I’ve been you need to clean quickly and rinse as you go if it’s on full heat it definitely crack glass I’ve been getting it up to temperature and then turn it off for the first couple of jobs out in the sticks then back on.

personally i think your heater runs too hot you ve even admitted it yourself before now mate..... ;D

who cracks glass in the middle of summer on a hot day?....yep nigel does....thats a sure sign your heater is ridiculously hot IMO.....

like ive said before i lose AT LEAST 20c temperature wise with all my hose off the reel ON A COLD DAY....so today my coiled reel was reading 62c....so with 100m out itll be down to 42 at brush head...even less than that on very cold days which is fine for cleaning and less risk of cracking a pane....in summer it can get up to 70c at the brush head!

dd

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 07:07:44 pm »
Conversation I had with PF was that there heater was better then Ionics because the Ionic heater only had winter and summer setting whereas the PF could be adjusted to give a wider range of temp setting. I would not use PF again due to issues I had.

I understood the winter setting to be the minimum. I also had a demo from Ionics around 15 years ago. I could be wrong. If you want to be sure just give them a call.

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 07:51:29 pm »
in winter

1.starting temperature of your tank water is much lower before heating
2.you lose A LOT of heat from the hose with 100m on freezing ground

so it stands to reason to have it on full heat setting during the winter months

in summer

1.starting temperature of your tank water is much higher before heating
2.lots of heat is retained in the hose

so it stands to reason to turn it down in summer

i just leave mine on full heat setting all year round.....the mixer valves are rubbish anyway on these heaters IMO.....

Daz,
When you get your heater serviced please can you ask what terminal 7 in the plug does. It has a green wire.

From what I see from the wiring diagram and a note in the instruction manual, applying power (12v+) to that green cable changes the heat mode output on the Thermo Pro 90. In a vehicle application this cable would be connected to a positive on the ignition switch.

Setting control temperatures of Thermo Pro 90
When the signal “Engine on”/”Engine off” (Terminal D+) are connected to
the control unit connector X8, contact 7, different control thresholds are effective.

Nominal temperature on sensor     Regulating pause       Switch on again after regulating pause

“Engine on”                                                            65 °C                                                        75 °C                                               60 °C
“Engine off”                                                           80 °C                                                        90 °C                                                75 °C

If the terminal D+ signal is not applied, the temperatures are the same as those at “Engine off”.
The selected regulating pause temperature of the heater should be lower than the opening temperature of the radiator thermostat.

My heater gets up to 80 degrees plus.

Setting a diesel heater with a temperature/thermostatic control valve on the heat exchanger won't work with lower temps as the heater will switch off and then on to often during the day.
 A max of 65 degrees would probably work on an Ionic unit as they don't have a temperature control valve. The pump runs continually and the moment you stop water to the brush head with a tap/Univalve the hot water diverts to the tank via a pressure relief valve. (The pressure relief valve is set to 'blow off' at 65psi.)

With an Ionics unit you get what the units temperature is in the internal water jacket. If its 80 degrees then that's what the temp is of the water leaving your heater. If the switch is on then you get 65 degrees or less.

At least with a temperature control valve you can regulate that as DD says.

Each system has its pros and cons.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 10:23:10 pm »
sorry spruce ive already had a new burner and glow pin fitted today (they fitted a faulty glow pin yesterday!)so i had to go back today once they got the new pin...they changed it in 20 mins...its working great now...they also changed some pipework as i had a kink in my hose going into the heat exchanger which they reckon caused lots of carbon build up in the burner...they said they ve never seen a burner so fouled up! ;D

NWH

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 10:30:56 pm »
You’ll still crack glass at 40 degrees if the glass is already damaged even new glass can have hairline cracks that start beneath the seals,the other cracking scenario is when the pane of glass has no flex within the unit say a painted in or a pane of glass that’s sealed in tight with putty.
The art to cleaning with hot water is to be quicker on the glass if you clean like some of these Idiots that stand there rinsing till the cows start moaning you’ll crack a lot of windows,with hot water you don’t need to constantly rinse that’s one of the benefits especially on regular stuff you are basically just colouring in windows in seconds and I mean seconds,some windows 3-4-5 windows on a bay are cleaned in and around 30-40 seconds if you know what you are doing.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 10:32:42 pm »
They will always change the glow pin with a burner.