Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AMV8

Which carpet cleaning solution?
« on: November 09, 2020, 04:43:36 am »
I’ve just purchased my machine and plan to clean my carpets next week. I’m not a pro but would like to clean my carpets best as possible.

Need some advice on which solution I should go for and how to dilute so I don’t damage the carpet.

https://prochem.co.uk/product/dry-blend-4k/

https://prochem.co.uk/product/fibresafe-gold-4k/

Which of these is best as an all round extraction solution and are they safe to use on most carpets types?

I don’t expect the carpets to come up like new but as we have pets I’d be cleaning them once every few months to keep on top of it.

Can anyone break down ph levels and how to get neutral as possible?

Much appreciated

Lewis Newby

Re: Which carpet cleaning solution?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 06:59:37 am »
I've been carpet cleaning for several years now, and I've never used or even looked at either of these products.

What machine have you got? How do you plan to clean the carpet? Do you know what the carpet type is?

AMV8

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:37:09 pm »
A karcher hot water extraction machine. That’s how i plan to clean the carpet. Anything else you’d recommend? Unsure of the carpet type

AMV8

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 04:52:25 pm »
My carpets aren’t bad. Just a few small marks I’d like to remove and give them a general clean.

I’d like a good all round extraction solution which can be used on most - if not all carpet types. The pro chem fibre gold is wool safe and says it can be used on most carpet types..

Nobby

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 06:59:04 pm »
I use Fibresafe Gold on 95% of jobs, I just vary the pre spray to suit the carpet and conditions.

AMV8

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 10:53:57 pm »
I use Fibresafe Gold on 95% of jobs, I just vary the pre spray to suit the carpet and conditions.

Thanks Nobby. I’ll give it a try. If I’m only using the fibresafe gold, no pre sprays or any other chemical etc. Do I need to worry about ph levels?

Nobby

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 12:35:01 pm »
You will need a Pre spray of some description on nearly every single job, it’s what does most of the cleaning. Yes, you will need to worry about pH when using  Fibresafe Gold but not very much.  Fibresafe Gold, Acidic Rinse and even tap water can make some dyes run so don’t think you are 100% safe to use just FSG. FSG is a very good product but it’s not, nothing is, the answer to every problem.

AMV8

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 06:48:23 pm »
Thanks again.

What’s the easiest way to work out how to get to neutral ph?

Nobby

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 07:16:37 pm »
However many pH stops above 7 your pre spray is you need to use a rinse which is that number of stops below 7. So if you use a pre spray which is pH 10 (three stops above 7) you will need to use a rinse of pH 4 ( three stops below 7) to bring the carpet back to neutral. You can use litmus paper or a meter to check the final pH of the carpet. Be aware that the carpet may not be neutral to start with if it’s been cleaned previously. Fibresafe Gold is pH 9 but is self neutralising so if you use a neutral pre spray you can clean with a pH 9 detergent knowing it will dry neutral.  You can leave wool a little higher than pH7.

AMV8

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 12:30:31 am »
Thanks again. I’ll be ordering some FSG and giving that a go on my carpets. Being self neutralising gives me some peace of mind as well

AMV8

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 08:26:34 pm »
However many pH stops above 7 your pre spray is you need to use a rinse which is that number of stops below 7. So if you use a pre spray which is pH 10 (three stops above 7) you will need to use a rinse of pH 4 ( three stops below 7) to bring the carpet back to neutral. You can use litmus paper or a meter to check the final pH of the carpet. Be aware that the carpet may not be neutral to start with if it’s been cleaned previously. Fibresafe Gold is pH 9 but is self neutralising so if you use a neutral pre spray you can clean with a pH 9 detergent knowing it will dry neutral.  You can leave wool a little higher than pH7.

What pre spray do u recommend using with FSG?

Lewis Newby

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 12:05:03 pm »
https://www.clean-smart.co.uk/store/online-professional-carpet-cleaning-course/

Amv8 take a look at this, ok it's an online course and wont be hands on like a formal on site training course but for the cost of a few tubs of chemicals it's well worth it as your starting out, I'd stick my neck out and say it will save you more then the £100 on buying the wrong products or equipment

Nobby

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 12:36:42 pm »
I agree, the questions you’re asking suggest that you will benefit a great deal from a training course. The course will teach you much but you won’t start learning until you get out there and start making mistakes.  I’m still learning 36 years in!
The pre spray you use will depend on the type of carpet and soil conditions.

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 02:39:36 pm »
AMV8

When you look at any carpet cleaning solution you need to look at what type of surfactant it is. you then need to match that to the type of soil for the best result.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fnD2EWRs7Oi2BGbuKI50NoLxqi7pJCI140wUTUsZx94/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gpNIHwLOXhzdN2UkzO0NPqsbSJxpGhXDGjb_a7iIlTA/edit?usp=sharing

Hope this helps you understand how to choose a carpet cleaning solution.

Respects

Ian Harper

AMV8

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 01:57:09 am »
I’ve just ordered the following and looking forward to delivery.

Pro chem spotting brush, 18” pile brush with handle, fibre safe gold, fibre fabric and rinse and multi pro pre spray. Also added some stain pro for spot treating. Looking forward to Monday delivery

dustee

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 08:21:08 pm »
What extraction and agitation machines do you have / use

AMV8

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 05:33:02 am »
I’ll be using the pile brush for agitation and using a karcher for extraction. Doing my own house next week. This is the steps I plan to take,

Vacuum,

Pro stain any stains, agitate with spotting brush, blot with towel,

Pre spray entire carpet then agitate with pile brush,

Mix shampoo and extract

Lift fibres with pile brush

dustee

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 07:24:29 pm »
You'll find a CRB  more effective & faster than a pile brush , out of interest what vacuum cleaner are you using to pre-vac

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 10:53:26 pm »

some ace self neutralising products, I think formula 90 is as well,

AMV8

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 09:27:54 am »
I’ll be mainly using the machine in my own house, inc friends and family. If I decide to take it any further I’ll invest in agitator but probably overkill for personal use..