This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Amazin

understanding the waste valve
« on: November 04, 2020, 07:45:44 am »
I have the yellow waste valve but i don't understand it the workings of it. There are plenty of RO systems without any valves on the waste hose, it should be 40%pure, 60% waste. why does it need one in the first place? It should be turned completely horizontal when making pure water right?  sorry I'm new to my ro system

Jonny 87

Re: understanding the waste valve
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:25 am »
Noooooooo!
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Jonny 87

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 07:53:14 am »
Don’t leave it completely closed. That’s going to ruin your membrane asap.

Find your pure outlet and your waste outlet and get a jug and measure how much is produced at both ends. Get that ratio to 60/40 and mark on the yellow valve with a black sharpie as to the correct position.

You definitely need to upgrade to a gate valve. (Red wheel). It’s poor show that this is the valve to be honest.

Your membrane always needs to produce waste.

Think of it this way..... your pushing rubbish tds water into it, and without that waste then the rubbish minerals that you don’t want are just forced to go into the membrane and clog it.  The waste water being open “just enough” allows the bad stuff to go, and the good stuff to go through the membrane.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Jonny 87

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:54:45 am »
Also, you need the valve because you should be regularly”flushing” your membrane. Which is getting rid of the bad stuff on the membrane that accumulates. So have the waste valve completely open for a good three or four hours a week a minimum.

Amazin

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 08:32:52 am »
Don’t leave it completely closed. That’s going to ruin your membrane asap.

Find your pure outlet and your waste outlet and get a jug and measure how much is produced at both ends. Get that ratio to 60/40 and mark on the yellow valve with a black sharpie as to the correct position.

You definitely need to upgrade to a gate valve. (Red wheel). It’s poor show that this is the valve to be honest.

Your membrane always needs to produce waste.

Think of it this way..... your pushing rubbish tds water into it, and without that waste then the rubbish minerals that you don’t want are just forced to go into the membrane and clog it.  The waste water being open “just enough” allows the bad stuff to go, and the good stuff to go through the membrane.

ooh I see, so in the photo it's completely open position? I will get few buckets, one for pure and one for waste. what's wrong with the yellow valve? Is it just poor quality?

david mark

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 08:48:41 am »
Yes get the red gate valve

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 08:54:12 am »
The yellow tap is just not adjustable enough. The red wheel type taps ( often known as needle valves ) are far easier to finely adjust to optimum ratio. Keep the yellow valve but use it as a bypass valve. Essentially put a t piece before and after the gate valve aka needle valve and run hose or pipe parallel to it with the yellow valve on it. Once you've set the gate valve to the optimum ratio you need rarely adjust it again. The bypass you've created will allow you to flush with the valve open and create pure with it fully closed. This is what I do. Every time I fill the tank I flush with bypass valve open for 5 mins. This saves a lot of time faffing and re adjusting each time.