Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

EandM

Ionics Glyder
« on: October 23, 2020, 06:09:16 pm »
Been asked to dispose of Glyder 40 by a friend of mine.
I've never encountered one before being solely Gardiner.
It seems in good nick.
What should I be asking for it?

Splash & dash

Re: Ionics Glyder
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 09:11:33 pm »
Been asked to dispose of Glyder 40 by a friend of mine.
I've never encountered one before being solely Gardiner.
It seems in good nick.
What should I be asking for it?

Free to a good home ?... 😂😂

zesty

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 09:38:49 pm »
I think you’ll need to except the fact, that you’ll need to pay someone to take it off your hands.  >:(

EandM

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 10:04:31 pm »
I think you’ll need to except the fact, that you’ll need to pay someone to take it off your hands.  >:(

It seems pretty decent. It's lightweight, sturdy, and seems well made.
Not really my thing though.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 11:07:50 pm »
I use Glyder and Glyder plus all the time. Good poles.

Lighter and stiffer than gardiners, and that’s what matters to me. The downsides are they are not as hard-wearing, so require some gentler handling. (So perhaps not the best pole for employees).

As with everything, it’s a trade off. If you want light weight, you sacrifice hard wearing-ness.

Also the clamps are not as good. Gardiner clamps are superb in my opinion, nobody has better ones.

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 12:59:26 pm »

Lighter and stiffer than gardiners, and that’s what matters to me. The downsides are they are not as hard-wearing, so require some gentler handling. (So perhaps not the best pole for employees).

As with everything, it’s a trade off. If you want light weight, you sacrifice hard wearing-ness.

Also the clamps are not as good. Gardiner clamps are superb in my opinion, nobody has better ones.

Lighter and stiffer ???? I have never owned one but did try them at the show and found them much heavier like for  like with gardiners , there champ levers are very delicate I broke one trying the pole out Ruben was highly embarrassed after saying they were the most robust poles  on the market 😂😂😂😂

EandM

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 01:26:57 pm »

Lighter and stiffer ???? I have never owned one but did try them at the show and found them much heavier like for  like with gardiners , there champ levers are very delicate I broke one trying the pole out Ruben was highly embarrassed after saying they were the most robust poles  on the market 😂😂😂😂

I've just recently bought an SLX-35 which I'm very pleased with.
I might just keep the Ionics Poles as spare.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 01:58:41 pm »
Well I have both Glyder plus and a gardiner slx, there’s no doubt the glyder is lighter and stiffer.

The clamps, yes they’re not very good. They’re about 7 or 8 years behind gardiner clamps which are superb.

I broke one trying the pole out Ruben was highly embarrassed after saying they were the most robust poles  on the market

Lol! Wish I’d seen that.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 02:03:31 pm »
Show me a pole that’s lighter and better to use than a Gardiner pole and I’ll show you a dog pi**ing liquid gold,I’ve just had delivered yesterday a high modulus Ova 8 22ft carbon pole it’s not even in the same post code as a Gardiner extreme pole.

Martin Lane

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 02:45:08 pm »
We use Gardiner SLX 30 Poles for everything, but we also have an ionic Hydra Plus pole 35, very good pole very stiff and coated so no black hands.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 05:41:48 pm »
That Ova pole I’ve got is only 10g heavier than the extreme of the same length I think but the difference feels huge in use of the pole.

deeege

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 11:02:25 pm »
Show me a pole that’s lighter and better to use than a Gardiner pole and I’ll show you a dog pi**ing liquid gold,I’ve just had delivered yesterday a high modulus Ova 8 22ft carbon pole it’s not even in the same post code as a Gardiner extreme pole.

You’ve always banged on about gardiners being the dog doodahs. Why did you bother ordering a Ova8?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

NWH

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 11:36:45 pm »
I wanted to try the shape of the pole and tbh with you I feel that the pole not being able to spin when you are dropping the pole makes it more of a pain to use,some may disagree but when you drop a round pole although it spins slightly it always comes back to centre.
You have to raise the Ova straight up and you have to lower it at a straight angle when you aren’t used to doing this it feels very strange,with an extreme pole it’s so so light you can litterally just flick the pole up or out to the side and with a slight twist on a section when it’s worn in it drops in seconds,if you use a light brush on an extreme the sections twisting on ground level isn’t an issue really.
If they were going to make a pole like this they should have at least made it lighter than anything else you can buy but they haven’t,I have probably the lightest pole they do in an Ova but it doesn’t feel anywhere near as light as the extreme.

windowswashed

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 12:02:09 pm »
The trouble with extreme poles is that you have to fit lighter brushes on them as they won't handle angles like over conservatory roofs with a heavier brush on before snapping a section normally the first two sections. 
I cleaned a conservatory where the frames were black, really black and a normal stock brush like Gardiners or Window Cleaning warehouse stock would struggle to clean it easily. Used a Reach-it brush with a combination of nylon and boars hair with an overhead rinse and the job was reduced down to a bare minimum. There is no way I could use that brush on an extreme pole, tried in the past and snapped at least five sections.
Only use extreme poles for high work that is straight forward as I wouldn't trust them poles for heavy duty scrubbing work.

zesty

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 12:26:25 pm »
Just wish Alex would bring back the metal banded Sections, or add a metal band to clamping areas.

It’s crazy how quickly the series 3 exteme poles wear and spin. Never happened on the series 2.

Series 3 is a better pole, but last no where near as long.

NWH

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 01:06:49 pm »
The extreme poles are fine with any Gardiner brush.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 01:07:58 pm »
If anyone wants my Ova for 350 they can buy it I paid 500 for it last week I know I won’t use it.

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 02:44:30 pm »
Just wish Alex would bring back the metal banded Sections, or add a metal band to clamping areas.

It’s crazy how quickly the series 3 exteme poles wear and spin. Never happened on the series 2.

Series 3 is a better pole, but last no where near as long.

I disagree. I know everyone has different experiences and work variables but I have owned both and I liked the look of the metal band ones but I definitely snapped more of the metal banded sectioned ones.

I use extreme 47 day in day out and usually get about 2 1/2 years out of it.

T

zesty

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 05:21:05 pm »
I’ve owned several of both mate, and whilst the mk3 is a better pole, it wears faster, I’ve been through two extreme mk3’s in the time my first mk2 lasted.

I never snapped any mk2 sections.

My ideal is the mk3 with a metal banding to prevent spinning and wear.

It only needs to be a thin band, but at least that would stop the spinning and wear.

I also loved how I never had to adjust the clamps on the mk2, the metal bands never wore down, so there was never any adjustment needed. Never any spinning.

Splash & dash

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 05:38:16 pm »
I’ve owned several of both mate, and whilst the mk3 is a better pole, it wears faster, I’ve been through two extreme mk3’s in the time my first mk2 lasted.

I never snapped any mk2 sections.

My ideal is the mk3 with a metal banding to prevent spinning and wear.

It only needs to be a thin band, but at least that would stop the spinning and wear.

I also loved how I never had to adjust the clamps on the mk2, the metal bands never wore down, so there was never any adjustment needed. Never any spinning.

I have had all versions of it as well I didn’t like the the metal bands or the small raised sections that you could clamp on as when extending the pole I want to be looking at the building and where the pole is going not at a tiny section of the pole with metal bands , I have now got the ultimate for high stuff and find it a far superior pole much stiffer and less affected by wind but it is heavier .