Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jay moley

Motivation
« on: October 11, 2020, 12:11:16 pm »
A few weeks ago I was really up for it. Setting myself money targets each day and hitting them. Really enjoying the lifestyle benefits of the job too, good hours, no commute, no annoying co workers etc.

Last two weeks I've been completely unmotivated and hating it. I've not been getting out on time in the mornings and just feel flat. Everything on the job is p me off. Haven't hit targets and on Friday went home early.

I do listen to music and audiobooks but nothing seems to work.

I'm retraining in another field (will keep the windows on on the side) but qualifying is 5 years away.

Anyone experience the same?

Splash & dash

Re: Motivation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 12:59:08 pm »
If you are changing your job in the future I don’t think your heart is in the window cleaning and that’s why you have a lack of motivates you know you will be doing something else soon 

Jonny 87

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 01:02:58 pm »
I take it your not motivated by necessity?

To many, if their family need x amount per month to live then that’s the motivation they need.

As Splash says your already planning your out, so your focused on other things.

New equipment or goals within work has always kept me going.

Plus the thought that I know if I changed work to anything else, I’d probably miss the flexibility and freedom/pay that window cleaning offers.  I’d look back at the good old times of being my own boss and having no one breathing down my neck.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

JandS

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 01:48:53 pm »
Don't set money targets.....I used to get angry if I didn't clean every house on the streets I'd planned to do because of weather etc....didn't like having to do some of them the next day as I had plans for that day and wouldn't get them finished.
Used to get anxious every time something put me behind including holidays.
Now I don't give a flyer and everything seems to work out well....if it's a lovely day in summer I will eat my dinner on the hoof and be home and on the sun lounger for 2 pm.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 02:05:30 pm »
Don't set money targets.....I used to get angry if I didn't clean every house on the streets I'd planned to do because of weather etc....didn't like having to do some of them the next day as I had plans for that day and wouldn't get them finished.
Used to get anxious every time something put me behind including holidays.
Now I don't give a flyer and everything seems to work out well....if it's a lovely day in summer I will eat my dinner on the hoof and be home and on the sun lounger for 2 pm.
I like that on the lounger for 2 lol me too,and knowing you’ve still earned a very good days wage. 👍

JandS

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 02:08:58 pm »
Yep sun lounger for 2pm.....will even go out Saturday morning if need be to make it up though not that often.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

dd

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 02:23:31 pm »
Last thing I want to do when I get home is sit on the sun lounger. I spend enough time in the sun as it is.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 03:12:25 pm »
On the lounger till 5-30 when I go in a feel like I’ve had a day off.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 04:12:03 pm »
A few weeks ago I was really up for it. Setting myself money targets each day and hitting them. Really enjoying the lifestyle benefits of the job too, good hours, no commute, no annoying co workers etc.

Last two weeks I've been completely unmotivated and hating it. I've not been getting out on time in the mornings and just feel flat. Everything on the job is p me off. Haven't hit targets and on Friday went home early.

I do listen to music and audiobooks but nothing seems to work.

I'm retraining in another field (will keep the windows on on the side) but qualifying is 5 years away.

Anyone experience the same?

Best thing to do is work short hours...no more than 5 or 6 hours per day 4 or 5 days a week....works for me....

Also invest in the best equipment and workwear you can and book a few holidays abroad every year to give yourself something to look forward to......👍
price higher/work harder!

Shrek

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 05:37:41 pm »
I actually prefer this time of year to work in, no sweating my b******s off, no putting sun cream on, it’s cooler. I tend to get more done and work longer hours (less in the summer and more chill time).

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 07:35:08 pm »
Ive felt unmotiavted for a long time.

Some days i feel great and smash it but most i cant be arsed.

This job is ok 2 or 3 days a week but after that it gets really boring, i took someone on at the begining of september and now only work 2 or 3 days a week myself. I feel a lot happier despite the drawbacks of employing.

That will probably change soon as i keep picking up work, but considering having 2 lads out doing the windows and doing something else entirely.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 09:26:28 am »
Ive felt unmotiavted for a long time.

Some days i feel great and smash it but most i cant be arsed.

This job is ok 2 or 3 days a week but after that it gets really boring, i took someone on at the begining of september and now only work 2 or 3 days a week myself. I feel a lot happier despite the drawbacks of employing.

That will probably change soon as i keep picking up work, but considering having 2 lads out doing the windows and doing something else entirely.

yes i feel like that sometimes myself too

more so recently

personally i always need something new that i am planning for and excited about. if thats a new venture, a new part to my business. i get bored if i am doing the same thing and am not feeling like im moving somewhere.

it sounds like a good idea for you to retrain.  i'm wondering if there is something you can start on that right away, like go down to 4 days a week on windows and do work experience on that, or start self studying for it etc? that may put some fire in your belly.

i am starting a new business to run alongside this but separate. i actually find working on the new thing brings my energy levels and motivation up for everything. so the new project means i find running my business easier and less of a trudge.

also this pandemic is hitting peoples mental health very hard. i know a lot of my friends are struggling at times. it is difficult being faced with disruption to our lives, the uncertainty around the economy and peoples health, the worrying news... all of it adds up to make people feel unsettled and low. more so maybe if you were already are finding yourself feeling down

iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

zesty

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 03:59:44 pm »
For me, it’s short hours and making sure I get done my days work no matter what.

I find without a routine and the will to get all the intended work done,  I lose some motivation.

The more I stick to a routine, the more I want to work.

james peters

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 08:05:55 am »
I believe it comes with this job .    but lack of motivation happens with most people in general with every job.
I have been in the game 29 years, and it happens to me every now and then .
I dont panic, because I know it wont last.   I like a routine, and just push on through it most of the time.
however, there is no harm in taking a day or two to chill. A rest and stepping back can do the world of good.

Its also very important  to stash as much money away as you possibly can.  this makes any unexpected turns in life much easier.
covid being an example.

windowswashed

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 07:12:34 pm »
I believe it comes with this job .    but lack of motivation happens with most people in general with every job.
I have been in the game 29 years, and it happens to me every now and then .
I dont panic, because I know it wont last.   I like a routine, and just push on through it most of the time.
however, there is no harm in taking a day or two to chill. A rest and stepping back can do the world of good.

Its also very important  to stash as much money away as you possibly can.  this makes any unexpected turns in life much easier.
covid being an example.

I work the same way as you, big push every now and again, then plod along and occassionally take time out as it gets too repetitive. Makes a nice change getting new work to replace old work, keeps the enthusiasm for the job going.

NWH

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 07:16:38 pm »
Watch the news look at what some people have got some have got nothing have that in mind when you are out working earning money without a care in the world,look at what you have got  too many people are often hung up on what they don’t have the saying “can’t see the wood for the trees” comes to mind.

zesty

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 08:18:33 pm »
Watch the news look at what some people have got some have got nothing have that in mind when you are out working earning money without a care in the world,look at what you have got  too many people are often hung up on what they don’t have the saying “can’t see the wood for the trees” comes to mind.

One thing you’ve definitely not got, is full stops in your posts NWH!

NWH

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 08:21:42 pm »
..................... sorry.

windowswashed

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 08:56:19 pm »

A lot of people choose to live their lives on credit (never never),  that is one thing I never did with a mortgage on my own. !, I couldn't afford to and 2. I chose not to even when I could afford it. Puts too much strain on health and relationships when times are tricky like now and people are losing their jobs left right and centre. I've lost probably ten jobs and replaced them with better ones, as I intend keeping my head above water always. Bills always come in and always put aside for rainy days as the saying goes.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 09:06:02 pm »
My point is people shouldn’t be moaning about being bored cleaning windows imo it’s a blinkered way of thinking with what’s going on at the moment,if you can go out and work and earn  you should feel lucky some people have nothing and they can see nothing on the horizon.