This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

TomCrowther

Mossy resin bound driveway.
« on: October 06, 2020, 08:49:00 pm »
I have a new customer with a mossy resin bound drive. Big trees over looking it on either side and it’s very slippery.
They want it doing ASAP.
I would prefer to apply algo clear pro and return a week later with fsc. With the wet weather I might not get a dry day for the algo. Any idea how else I can get a good result at this time of year?

Splash & dash

Re: Mossy resin bound driveway.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:52:12 pm »
Strong hypo mix then fsc I googled how you should clean this stiff as didn’t want to damage it and was surprised to read use a strong mix , we did a drive and several  paths  that sound similar to your job it came up like new , customer was delighted.

TomCrowther

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 07:27:18 am »
Cheers Splash.

Yada Yada Yada - www.m-clean.uk

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 11:17:15 am »

Just had a resin bound driveway laid.

I've sawn wood on it, so really fine sawdust, lots of leaves falling, grass cuttings all over it and we are overlooked by some very large trees and the old paving round the back of the house got very green, within 6 months of cleaning it.

Everything just sweeps off it and a quick spray of hypo will see it clean and like new when I need to look after it in the spring.

I stamp on any cans we put into the recycling and this has no effect on it.

It is very very tough.

Old wonky bit of wooden post replaced by a piece of non treated Igdibo that is just getting a nice patina.

Top of it just needs finishing off with some sealant.

TomCrowther

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 02:59:41 pm »
Strong hypo mix then fsc I googled how you should clean this stiff as didn’t want to damage it and was surprised to read use a strong mix , we did a drive and several  paths  that sound similar to your job it came up like new , customer was delighted.
How long would you leave the hypo on before washing? 20 mins ish?

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 08:27:21 pm »
How long would you leave the hypo on before washing? 20 mins ish?

20-45 muinits longer  in colder weather , usually when the moss is dead it will look grey/ white in colour

waterforce

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 09:43:31 pm »
Anything with a Ph above 10 will over time start to degrade the PU resin holding the stone together. Generally look for Ph neutral solutions . Bio cides such as Algoclear, GK pro etc are tested and considered safe to use.

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 10:57:18 pm »
Anything with a Ph above 10 will over time start to degrade the PU resin holding the stone together. Generally look for Ph neutral solutions . Bio cides such as Algoclear, GK pro etc are tested and considered safe to use.

The manufacturers of resin products recommend a strong sodium hypochlorite mix they don’t  how ever state what that mix should consist of , we have cleaned many such driveways , paths etc using hypo and then pressure washed them and they come up like new with no detrimental effect on the resin , one of my neighbors  lays resin drives and talking to him he also uses hypo to clean them he uses 15% strength diluted 50 / 50  , I haven’t found the need to use stronger that a 4-1 mix and we have done some really bad mossy and algi covered drives , algi clear pro is ok but it takes time to work and unless you  pw after the dirt is still there , hypo is also a lot cheaper and instant results and sterilises the area bio doesn’t do that .

waterforce

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 09:13:27 am »
I dont think the resin maufacturers suggest that you buy 15% Industrial SH ...maybe a strong "Domestos " mix. I have never seen an manufacturer suggest this....Domestos or otherwise.  Quaternary ammonium products do steralise the surface, SH does not remove "Dirt" so the need for Pressure washing still exists . Reduce pressure and consider replacing nozzles in the FSC to reduce stripes.

Splash & dash

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 09:53:08 am »
I dont think the resin maufacturers suggest that you buy 15% Industrial SH ...maybe a strong "Domestos " mix. I have never seen an manufacturer suggest this....Domestos or otherwise.  Quaternary ammonium products do steralise the surface, SH does not remove "Dirt" so the need for Pressure washing still exists . Reduce pressure and consider replacing nozzles in the FSC to reduce stripes.

I have an email from the manufacturer stating use a strong hypo mix is fine , but agree it still needs  pw to get rid of dirt .

TomCrowther

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 02:56:27 pm »
I mixed 11% hypo 50/50. Left for 40 mins. Then cleaned with fsc using figure of 8 motion. Came up like new. No stripes 👍