This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

combat1

Immersion question
« on: October 02, 2020, 02:57:45 pm »
Before upgrading to a van mounted system I used a backpack with the hot water from my onboard tank.
Since upgrading I’ve noticed a bit of a drop in temperature, mot massive but noticeable.
I put this down to having a lot more hose now for it to get through.
In practice I probably only use half the hose for the majority of jobs.
I’m thinking of shortening the hose and carrying the spare as a snap on extension on the few occasions I need it for.
Thinking this may retain more heat and maybe even boost flow.
What do you reckon?
(The words gas and diesel are banned!)
Winters coming, memories of Nathans posts!

NWH

Re: Immersion question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 03:06:45 pm »
It will drop in temperature as soon as you turn off if you want hot water you want 1 of those banned words lol,with an on demand way if heating water as soon as the hose is full of hot water that’s how it will stay so it won’t make hardly any difference if I cut 40-50 meters off my hose,once it’s hot it’s hot at the brush.
The temperature is very similar at the end of a 100 meters of hose and at the meter of hose that connects to the reel so there’s your answer about shortening the hose.

combat1

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 04:50:21 pm »
Ok cheers.
I lose very little temp in the tank over the day, got a gauge with a sensor in the tank wall so able to monitor it.
Insulated really well,
Thanks

NWH

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 04:55:02 pm »
I agree it does the job for winter it warms the water well enough but it’s a lot more faffing than pressing a switch,I know you can install all this for under a 100 quid but it’s a lot of sodding about if you ask me.

combat1

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 06:43:20 pm »
It’s what suits, we are all different.
I’m 70 so  no way can I invest mega bucks on a diesel system.
It was so easy to install, and I can easily move it to another vehicle when mine blows up!
My tank won’t freeze up, my van is warm and the hoses are soft and good to handle.
But the best thing is the increased cleaning power, quicker rinsing etc.
At night I fill my tank, as we all do and plug the immersion into an extension lead with a time switch.
Probably about 5 mins extra.
I l love it, but yes it would be great to have a ‘Daz’ setup.

DeLuce

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 07:04:23 pm »
It could just be the hose stealing away your heat Combat. 
Is it possible to ratchet up the heat a few more degrees to compensate ? Maybe an extra couple of hours on the timer?
If your tank is well insulated, then I can only think that it’s the hose.
The immersion setup is a great cost effective way for hotter water .

NWH

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 07:11:53 pm »
I take it you are all heating the water in the static tank that’s got to be a better way of doing it and then transferring it into the van.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 08:46:43 pm »
I take it you are all heating the water in the static tank that’s got to be a better way of doing it and then transferring it into the van.
Why would that be better?

NWH

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 11:08:46 pm »
Just heat it overnight and transfer it into the van surely it’s easier setting all that up indoors.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 11:53:32 pm »
Just heat it overnight and transfer it into the van surely it’s easier setting all that up indoors.
It isn’t any easier at all. For someone who has a lot to say on immersion heaters it actually sounds like you don’t have much of a clue. What do you mean by “ surely it’s easier setting all that up indoors ”? How easy does it have to be? All I need to do is run the cable which is attached to the immersion in my van and plug it into a socket in my garage, then unplug it in the morning and hi ho hi ho it’s off to work I go with hot water, not scalding hot, just hot, hot enough to act as a giant radiator in the back of my van, hot enough to clean windows to the same standard as scalding hot water, hot enough to keep me working on the coldest of days, and best of all.....at a fraction of the price of a diesel heater.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 10:47:34 am »
I dont know anything about these heaters why would I want to look into messing about like that when I can go out in the morning  and press a button lol,I’ve got something similar or had in my airing cupboard upstairs.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 01:20:27 pm »
Before upgrading to a van mounted system I used a backpack with the hot water from my onboard tank.
Since upgrading I’ve noticed a bit of a drop in temperature, mot massive but noticeable.
I put this down to having a lot more hose now for it to get through.
In practice I probably only use half the hose for the majority of jobs.
I’m thinking of shortening the hose and carrying the spare as a snap on extension on the few occasions I need it for.
Thinking this may retain more heat and maybe even boost flow.
What do you reckon?
(The words gas and diesel are banned!)
Winters coming, memories of Nathans posts!

its the hose.......there will be a noticeable drop in temperature at brush end the more hose you have off your reel.....you need the water to be very hot in your tank to get warm water at brush end with 100m out on a cold,frosty day in winter....you will probably have to leave your immersion on for 12-14  hours a night(even with insulation) to get your warm water to last the day....
price higher/work harder!

KS Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 03:07:33 pm »
I dont know anything about these heaters why would I want to look into messing about like that when I can go out in the morning  and press a button lol,I’ve got something similar or had in my airing cupboard upstairs.
Messing about ??? So tell me, how exactly do you go about charging the batteries in your all singing, all dancing diesel system then?  I’ll hazard a guess that you have to plug the charger into mains electric, what a faff eh! 🤣🤣

combat1

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2020, 03:42:03 pm »
Hey! I only asked 😀
Got good temp in my tank, only 350 litres so about 10 hrs will be too hot for pinkies.
In practice I only put it on for 10 hours when it’s very cold outside.
I think the cost is around the same as diesel.
I’m going to try a shorter hose and will report findings.
With the backpack it only had to travel up the pole hose and boy was it hot at the brush head, steaming off the glass.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 04:03:25 pm »
In the colder months you will always lose temperature at the brush head using a hose reel as the hose is on the cold ground.  Like you say, heat loss will be minimal using a backpack as the water will only be passing through a short length of pole hose.

NWH

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 06:13:49 pm »
Batteries have to be charged anyway I just plug mine into the side of the van overnight or from late afternoon until I go to bed,you’ll lose more heat through an element setup I can recirculate the water from my  diesel heater prior to working which gets the hose too hot to touch getting everything up to temperature.
The only way the water will stay what I call proper hot with the element setup is if you have a stainless steel tank.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 11:49:54 pm »
Nigel - when you have no idea what your talking about it's bst to shut yer trap.

Batteries in my vans rarely ( maybe after a large school clean ) ever require charging  overnight.

The large volume of water will stay hot for hours - just because you don't wish to admit/accept that is really your problem, but to say between the 3 amigos who prey to the diesel god you all seem to get ongoing niggles.....

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 11:50:27 pm »
Or should that be nigels ?

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Pete Thompson

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 01:19:16 am »
Batteries have to be charged anyway

No they don’t.

I’ve never charged my battery in the 3+ years I’ve had my current 700 litre system. Never charged the one in my old van either. Smart pass charger takes care of it.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 09:39:48 am »
I've NEVER charged a battery in over 17 years wfp!! In all that time I have always run the pump direct from the van's own battery.🙂👍
Comfortably Numb!