This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ken_Long

Fitting tank tie down brackets to a contract hire van
« on: September 24, 2020, 01:28:49 pm »
Considering a contract hire van as an option for a replacement of my ten year old Transit.
Currently my tank is held down by four anchor points. These consist of two 200x100mm pieces of 10mm thick stainless steel sandwiching the floor, and acting as giant washers for an m20 stainless eyebolt, rated to 3000kg.
I'm guessing lease companies may not take too kindly to me drilling four 20mm holes in the floor of their shiny van.
What are your experiences of this? I was wondering about replacing the existing tie down points with eyebolts to fit the thread size (and using the 10mm plates again) but not sure if an m5 or m6 bolt would be strong enough.

deeege

Re: Fitting tank tie down brackets to a contract hire van
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 03:31:35 pm »
Lease companies don’t seem to care about the interior of the van at the end of the lease. They inspect the outside for any minor scratches or dents and then have only a casual look inside.

What I have done the last 3 of my vans is take out the ply lining when the van is brand new and keep it stored in my garage. Bolt my tank down as normal and then when returning the van simply put the ply lining back to cover any holes. It’s worked for me 3 out of 3 so far.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Ken_Long

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 04:15:40 pm »
I like this idea! Problem might be that the Transit Custom looks like it comes with a plastic bed liner fitted, which would be really handy...

High-Tower

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 04:37:00 pm »
I like this idea! Problem might be that the Transit Custom looks like it comes with a plastic bed liner fitted, which would be really handy...
You can pick up a second hand plastic liner for £50 on eBay.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 05:24:44 pm »
Drill all the holes you like just re ply the floor before you give it back,rub a mix of oil and sawdust over the new ply then a small amount of fairy in a bucket and give it a good scrub,they wouldn’t know any different 🤣🤣🤣🤣