Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

James Oxberry

New starter
« on: September 12, 2020, 01:47:39 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking to start up a new carpet/upholstery cleaning business and am looking for any helpul advice.

A few specifics;
Is it better to go Ltd Company or Sole Trader?

Who do people use for Website building?

Has anyone done the cleansmart online training? What are your thoughts on it?     I am also looking at a classroom course closer to me in the north east.

I'm looking at buying an Airflex Storm, what are people's thoughts? Is it mostly ran from the van or taken off the van?

Any other tips and advice on start-up, marketing or the job itself would be greatly appreciated 👍

Mike Halliday

Re: New starter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:30:12 am »
Start off as a sole trader, years ago there’s was an advantages to being a LTD With how you paid yourself But that changed for now be a S/T you can always change later

I use dp design for my websites, they are good for the price £15/month no upfront fees

https://www.kireth.com/portfolio.html
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

James Oxberry

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 07:09:19 pm »
Start off as a sole trader, years ago there’s was an advantages to being a LTD With how you paid yourself But that changed for now be a S/T you can always change later

I use dp design for my websites, they are good for the price £15/month no upfront fees

https://www.kireth.com/portfolio.html

Thanks Mike, much appreciated 👍

Robin Ray

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 08:50:43 pm »
I agree with Mike on the LTD company thing. We are a LTD company and there is still an advantage for us (my wife an I). The advantage becomes less and less every year though. There is really only an advantage if you have two directors from the same household running the company otherwise its just extra work, expense and added complications.

I have run a machine with similar specs to a storm from the van for many years now and imo its the way to go. Most jobs are within 75ft of the van and as the more powerful machines can run up to or over 150ft of hose its more than possible. Is worth having a smaller machine for jobs in flats, etc .. though.

One thing initially is to get on some form of training course, some machine manufactures offer them as part of the machine sale. A course sets you up and gives you some solid information to start with. The quality of facebook and forum gleaned information can vary alot.

Marketing is really important to start with. As people are at home more now leaflets is a good place to start. You will need lots though, like 20000. Cover an area then aim to cover it again within one month if possible. Be picky about the houses you market to, it will determine the type of work and the amount of money you can earn. Local mags, websites, facebook page, and targeted letters are all useful, if not essential. The main thing is do a good job, be punctual, respectful and smart and you will get repeats and referrals.

James Oxberry

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 05:13:22 pm »
I agree with Mike on the LTD company thing. We are a LTD company and there is still an advantage for us (my wife an I). The advantage becomes less and less every year though. There is really only an advantage if you have two directors from the same household running the company otherwise its just extra work, expense and added complications.

I have run a machine with similar specs to a storm from the van for many years now and imo its the way to go. Most jobs are within 75ft of the van and as the more powerful machines can run up to or over 150ft of hose its more than possible. Is worth having a smaller machine for jobs in flats, etc .. though.

One thing initially is to get on some form of training course, some machine manufactures offer them as part of the machine sale. A course sets you up and gives you some solid information to start with. The quality of facebook and forum gleaned information can vary alot.

Marketing is really important to start with. As people are at home more now leaflets is a good place to start. You will need lots though, like 20000. Cover an area then aim to cover it again within one month if possible. Be picky about the houses you market to, it will determine the type of work and the amount of money you can earn. Local mags, websites, facebook page, and targeted letters are all useful, if not essential. The main thing is do a good job, be punctual, respectful and smart and you will get repeats and referrals.

Thanks Robin, i have decided to go as a sole trader.

I have put my starter pack order in and I'm waiting for a course to be run at Restormate. This will be in October, Covid permitting.
I will also be doing the online training with Cleansmart.

I was looking into Google ads yesterday and the price is a lot higher than i was expecting, have you used this?

Pricing is another issue, I'm seeing people local to me quoting £100 for 5 rooms! This seems an awful lot of work for little reward, is this standard? I'm in the North East so i know it will be different to other areas but it still seems very cheap!

Robin Ray

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 06:18:19 pm »
You cant go wrong with John and Lynn at Restormate. Derek Bolton at Cleansmart is also a wealth of knowledge.

I have done some advertising on google, I'm not a big fan of online advertising though. There are far too many people doing it and it doesn't really speak to the type of customer I like to work for. Its also easy to lose a lot of money quickly.

As for pricing, its best not to try to compete. Its a race to the bottom. Set your prices according to your overheads, and the amount of profit you want to make. Its a bit like eating at Mcdonalds or Ala Carte, just like eating out people are willing to pay for a quality service and a nice experience.

James Oxberry

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 06:30:49 pm »
You cant go wrong with John and Lynn at Restormate. Derek Bolton at Cleansmart is also a wealth of knowledge.

I have done some advertising on google, I'm not a big fan of online advertising though. There are far too many people doing it and it doesn't really speak to the type of customer I like to work for. Its also easy to lose a lot of money quickly.

As for pricing, its best not to try to compete. Its a race to the bottom. Set your prices according to your overheads, and the amount of profit you want to make. Its a bit like eating at Mcdonalds or Ala Carte, just like eating out people are willing to pay for a quality service and a nice experience.

Brilliant, thanks for the advice mate 👍

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 09:45:12 pm »
You need to find the customer not let the customer find you....... because in their search to find you they will also find all the other carpet cleaners in your area.

If you find the customer (and speak to them without them contacting any other carpet cleaner) Then your price is the only price they know, the fact that another local carpet cleaner will clean 5 room for £100 Is irrelevant if the customer doesn’t know.

When I tell a potential customer it cost £80 to clean a single living room then in there mind that’s how much it cost.

But remember if you are charging high prices you need to give value for money you need to deserve £80 for a living room

James Oxberry

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 02:33:15 pm »
You need to find the customer not let the customer find you....... because in their search to find you they will also find all the other carpet cleaners in your area.

If you find the customer (and speak to them without them contacting any other carpet cleaner) Then your price is the only price they know, the fact that another local carpet cleaner will clean 5 room for £100 Is irrelevant if the customer doesn’t know.

When I tell a potential customer it cost £80 to clean a single living room then in there mind that’s how much it cost.

But remember if you are charging high prices you need to give value for money you need to deserve £80 for a living room

Thanks Mike. If you were in my shoes now how would you go about getting your name out there.
I have a website set up, google business and will be doing a fb business page. I'm hoping to have everything in place to start beginning of November.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 02:53:37 pm »
I’d start a leaflet delivery business  delivering for just one company... you! Then when you are not working as a leaflet deliverer clean carpets & upholstery.

A bit cryptic But basically if you are not cleaning deliver leaflets.

But deliver them  To the type of homes that will pay high prices for quality work

James Oxberry

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 03:18:28 pm »
I’d start a leaflet delivery business  delivering for just one company... you! Then when you are not working as a leaflet deliverer clean carpets & upholstery.

A bit cryptic But basically if you are not cleaning deliver leaflets.

But deliver them  To the type of homes that will pay high prices for quality work

Cheers, I'm going to see a company tomorrow about van signage so I'll enquire about leaflets while I'm there 👍

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 06:28:45 pm »
My leaflet as an idea is below.

the company who I posted above for web design started out as a printer and do good prices on leaflets and they know the carpet cleaning business so are good to talk to, they also have stock carpet cleaning images

https://www.cheapleaflets.net/latest-work/leaflets-samples-gallery.html

James Oxberry

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 10:18:58 pm »
My leaflet as an idea is below.

the company who I posted above for web design started out as a printer and do good prices on leaflets and they know the carpet cleaning business so are good to talk to, they also have stock carpet cleaning images

https://www.cheapleaflets.net/latest-work/leaflets-samples-gallery.html

Brilliant, i like the £10 voucher idea 👍

Adrian Marsh

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 10:35:53 pm »
In addition the the excellent advice already offered, may I suggest, it doesn't matter who your customer is when you start out? Generating cash flow is crucial as without it you're done within a year.  I understand Robins "be picky" suggestion, but that's not easy when you're starting out. You may work in a small two up, two down, but that person may be a cleaner for a wealthy family and will be your "in" to the larger jobs.  Pushing a card through the door of a multi million pound property will NEVER get you any work, I guarantee it.  Re: Five rooms for £100.00 competition. Ignore them. If you do what they do you will get what they get, not a lot.

"Seems like hard work". Yes, carpet cleaning is hard work but an excellent way to lose weight, not that I'm suggesting anything ;D. If you stick at it you will build your own customer base of people who know you, like you and trust you. Those customers are worth their weight in gold as you'll never have to advertise to them. In essence, they will come to you.

This job can be very rewarding and you'll meet some wonderful people and some famous faces along the way. Personally I treat them all the same. They will pass your name around and before you know it you won't need to advertise anymore, although I'm sure some will disagree.

All the very best with your venture 8)

James Oxberry

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 11:18:02 pm »
In addition the the excellent advice already offered, may I suggest, it doesn't matter who your customer is when you start out? Generating cash flow is crucial as without it you're done within a year.  I understand Robins "be picky" suggestion, but that's not easy when you're starting out. You may work in a small two up, two down, but that person may be a cleaner for a wealthy family and will be your "in" to the larger jobs.  Pushing a card through the door of a multi million pound property will NEVER get you any work, I guarantee it.  Re: Five rooms for £100.00 competition. Ignore them. If you do what they do you will get what they get, not a lot.

"Seems like hard work". Yes, carpet cleaning is hard work but an excellent way to lose weight, not that I'm suggesting anything ;D. If you stick at it you will build your own customer base of people who know you, like you and trust you. Those customers are worth their weight in gold as you'll never have to advertise to them. In essence, they will come to you.

This job can be very rewarding and you'll meet some wonderful people and some famous faces along the way. Personally I treat them all the same. They will pass your name around and before you know it you won't need to advertise anymore, although I'm sure some will disagree.

Thanks a lot Adrian, I'm loving every bit of advice I'm recieving on here and all the info I'm finding elsewhere on the forum.

I'm in quite a decent position where i can still work full time whilst building this on the side before it hopefully takes off. I work a 4/4 shift pattern and if work isn't busy i tend to have more than the 4 shifts off. So this means luckily i won't be trying to compete with the 5 rooms for £100 lads 😁

Adrian Marsh

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 07:11:03 am »

Thanks a lot Adrian, I'm loving every bit of advice I'm recieving on here and all the info I'm finding elsewhere on the forum.

I'm in quite a decent position where i can still work full time whilst building this on the side before it hopefully takes off. I work a 4/4 shift pattern and if work isn't busy i tend to have more than the 4 shifts off. So this means luckily i won't be trying to compete with the 5 rooms for £100 lads 😁

Sounds like you've thought it through quite well already James. I was working nights when I started out, getting to bed around 03.30am, up again to take the kids to school and then out with the leaflets. Sleep was a luxury for a couple of years. Haven't advertised for several years now, not even a website. Now only a couple of years away from (possible) retirement I have given up doing most commercial jobs in favour of domestic. Domestic tend to pay on completion, commercials can make you wait a few months, even if your invoice does state settlement on completion

You wouldn't be a fireman or policeman by any chance? Seem to be quite a few in those jobs who take on cc,ing also.

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 01:40:58 pm »
Hi James

first good luck.

if you plan on selling the business then a company name and setup is way to go. Or if your not then it would be you as the brand. promoting yourself as the expert and not creating a company persona.

here is a good example of how I do it.

https://ianharper.co.uk/carpet-cleaner/carpet-cleaner-faqs/is-steam-cleaning-good-for-carpets/

Respects

Ian Harper

James Oxberry

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 03:54:38 pm »

Sounds like you've thought it through quite well already James. I was working nights when I started out, getting to bed around 03.30am, up again to take the kids to school and then out with the leaflets. Sleep was a luxury for a couple of years. Haven't advertised for several years now, not even a website. Now only a couple of years away from (possible) retirement I have given up doing most commercial jobs in favour of domestic. Domestic tend to pay on completion, commercials can make you wait a few months, even if your invoice does state settlement on completion

You wouldn't be a fireman or policeman by any chance? Seem to be quite a few in those jobs who take on cc,ing also.

No mate, i used to be a prison officer i definitely wouldn't have had the spare time then! Now i work in the oil and gas industry carrying out inspections on welds. Cushy job but oil and gas can be very hit and miss.

James Oxberry

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 03:59:24 pm »
Hi James

first good luck.

if you plan on selling the business then a company name and setup is way to go. Or if your not then it would be you as the brand. promoting yourself as the expert and not creating a company persona.

here is a good example of how I do it.

https://ianharper.co.uk/carpet-cleaner/carpet-cleaner-faqs/is-steam-cleaning-good-for-carpets/

Respects

Ian Harper

Thanks Ian,

I've already set up my website and company name etc. I'm also in the process of getting leaflets and van signage done. I'm quite impatient 😂 the only thing delaying me doing everything i want to is the lead time on the machine 😁