Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MrWindowClean

Paying Staff on rainy days?
« on: August 25, 2020, 10:17:35 am »
What does everyone do in the way of paying staff if you are rained off?

Ascjim

Re: Paying Staff on rainy days?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 10:42:03 am »
You need to pay them what they are contracted for.

We do 8 hour days, so they get paid 8 hours if they can't work. TBH the only time that has happen is when we had all that snow.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 10:52:13 am »
Flexi time contract - if we're rained off the hours are made up  over a few days - so technically no pay

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 11:09:42 am »

We do 8 hour days, so they get paid 8 hours if they can't work. TBH the only time that has happen is when we had all that snow.

are you really sending them out in this?its very wet and windy here....even i wouldnt attempt to clean my customers windows in this......apart from it being a miserable experience i wouldnt be confident of doing a good job.....
price higher/work harder!

tom20001

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 03:15:28 pm »

are you really sending them out in this?its very wet and windy here....even i wouldnt attempt to clean my customers windows in this......apart from it being a miserable experience i wouldnt be confident of doing a good job.....

Same as rain not too bad here today but storm francis would blow dust and debris all over my freshly cleaned wet windows and doubt golf club be too happy with that 🙈

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 03:30:28 pm »
Our staff get full pay if rained off or bad weather.
We would find it almost impossible to try and make up a day or two, plus it can cause unnecessary stress.
The way I look at it is if you have good employees, look after them and they will hopefully look after you.
Life's too short worrying about a few odd days a year not covering your costs.
Over the full year it all works out ok.

Steve

simon w

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 09:55:56 am »
We've never not worked due to wind and rain so therefore staff work as normal and get paid

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 07:14:28 pm »
we work all weather all year around rain, high wind, or snow makes no difference

the only time we dont work is if we cant get the van off the forecourt.

if that were the case they'd be sent home and only get paid for the hours they were in. i usually offer if they want to work and do leafleting instead they can. they never want to
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 07:32:48 pm »
I find it hard to believe that when you work in wet and windy conditions (meaning the rain is battering off the windows ) you don’t get customer complaints. I would go as far as saying it’s taking the P.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 08:28:19 pm »
I find it hard to believe that when you work in wet and windy conditions (meaning the rain is battering off the windows ) you don’t get customer complaints. I would go as far as saying it’s taking the P.
I agree, it's a joke.

G Griffin

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 08:44:33 pm »
And the employees, as well. Are they getting comfort breaks? A change of clothes?
Get the union in.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 10:06:59 pm »

no we dont get complaints.

customers are used to us coming reliably all weather

sometimes new customers will query it, but we just explain their windows should be fine, but if there's any problem give us a call and we'll pop back and reclean them, no quibbles
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Bungle

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 11:15:18 pm »

sometimes new customers will query it, but we just explain their windows should be fine, but if there's any problem give us a call and we'll pop back and reclean them, no quibbles

My windows look absolutely 💩 after the last few days weather. I certainly wouldn’t want some numpty rocking up telling me he’s come to clean my windows in pi55ing down rain and high winds and telling me they’ll be fine because if you know what’s what you’ll know they won’t be fine.

We look at them, they look through them.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 11:39:48 pm »
It’s called desperation and the fact they have to go out to earn enough for it to work when employing,if you had 1-2 employees the vast majority of the time you wouldn’t need to do this. How many days do you get in a year that you need to send workers out when it’s raining stair rods,when it’s windy and raining like that imo that’s not right.

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 03:59:04 am »
It’s called desperation and the fact they have to go out to earn enough for it to work when employing,if you had 1-2 employees the vast majority of the time you wouldn’t need to do this. How many days do you get in a year that you need to send workers out when it’s raining stair rods,when it’s windy and raining like that imo that’s not right.

The same could be said that desperation applied to you when lock down came along and you carried on cleaning - it's different opinions - we will clean commercial in light to medium rain - residential most certainly not - a big part of that  its awful working in the rain - I don't like it, I won't do it, I don't make the staff do it, it's easy to catch up over the next day or so

Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 07:54:35 am »

Windows will be fine my ar$e ;D

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 08:37:50 am »
Even I wouldnt work in some of the high winds and torrential rain we ve had this week.....its ok if it's a short spell and you can sit in the van until it blows over but we ve had hours and hours of it here......
price higher/work harder!

james peters

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 08:51:21 am »
its common sense really isnt it ?
I have had some customers over 20 years , and they are used to me working on wet days .     however there are wet days ie... showers , drizzle , even heavy showers ....
then there is chucking it down all day , howling wind, like its been on thursday....
you have to have common sense when its like that. apart from getting absolutely soaked through when its that bad it is taking the pee...... I also think it makes us look silly , unproffesional and a little desperate.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 09:40:14 am »
I work in light/moderate rain only for residential. If it’s hammering it down then I wouldn’t turn up at a residential as a bit silly really. For commercial I would probably work in more moderate rain If I needed to.

As long as it’s not hammering down and blowing a Sahara dust then light rain will not affect the windows using WFP. I feel for you guys who are up north as it must rain all the fecking time and if you never worked in the rain you wouldn’t earn much in the winter. Down in Suffolk we are in the driest part of the country.

Steven Biggs

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 09:44:59 am »
Don’t feel sorry for  us up north . I live in Yorkshire . Like you said you live in Suffolk . Case closed .