Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

֍Winp®oClean֍

Modified Xtreme Sill brush
« on: August 23, 2020, 05:14:29 pm »
Here is my modified brush I spoke about on the 'best brush' thread, it works far better for me this way. The lowest (red) row of bristles are removed (cut off at base with scraper blade). I find them pretty useless and it hinders the user's view of the rest of the brush on anything above head height which is really annoying and distracting. Also, the oversized stock ends have also been removed- in standard form this really hinders the brush particularly when trying to get the bristles into corners of lower sash windows, it just limits the brush IMO. Cut them off and it's more akin to the Ultimate brush. I find I can still clean sills just as well with this brush, although I do use a swivel which helps.
Horses for courses I suppose.👍
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

Re: Modified Xtreme Sill brush
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:33:47 pm »
Why didn’t you just buy a normal extreme I’ve got about 3-4 of these kicking about they look the same.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 07:48:57 pm »
Why didn’t you just buy a normal extreme I’ve got about 3-4 of these kicking about they look the same.

I've got some but they're too 'Xtreme',  the lack of weight doesn't make up for the negatives which that brings.
The full sill version goes too far in the wrong direction. So, I modified the brush to give the best balance of all things... according to me. The jet holes are also placed in the correct position on the sill version, unlike the standard Xtreme where they are too close to the centre.
Comfortably Numb!

Dave Willis

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 11:57:32 am »
Poor brush!  :(

I get the obstructed vision bit. I find the cill brush better if angled slightly downward from normal. Haven’t found a good brush for sash windows yet, nothing I’ve got gets into the corners or picks the spiders nests out.
I found the stiff version very fast over the glass but too stiff for me. Good on gutters though.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 06:35:42 pm »

I've got some but they're too 'Xtreme',  the lack of weight doesn't make up for the negatives which that brings.
The full sill version goes too far in the wrong direction. So, I modified the brush to give the best balance of all things... according to me. The jet holes are also placed in the correct position on the sill version, unlike the standard Xtreme where they are too close to the centre.

I actually like the look of your modified brush mate......might have a go at one of mine....

I find I dont use the red bristles much but they do come in handy for upper sills in tight spaces.....saves risking scratching sills....
price higher/work harder!

s.w.c

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 07:20:29 pm »
like it ive been staring at 20 or so brushes from earlier days and looking at the last brush Alex sent me, I've sat there looking and going crazy but you just sparked a thought.

Here is my modified brush I spoke about on the 'best brush' thread, it works far better for me this way. The lowest (red) row of bristles are removed (cut off at base with scraper blade). I find them pretty useless and it hinders the user's view of the rest of the brush on anything above head height which is really annoying and distracting. Also, the oversized stock ends have also been removed- in standard form this really hinders the brush particularly when trying to get the bristles into corners of lower sash windows, it just limits the brush IMO. Cut them off and it's more akin to the Ultimate brush. I find I can still clean sills just as well with this brush, although I do use a swivel which helps.
Horses for courses I suppose.👍

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 08:51:32 pm »
My thought is to make a 5 bristle row Xtreme with a nice splay. It could still be dual trim (3 inner rows slightly shorter) or full trim. To me, this would create a more stable, usable, effective and a genuine 'every day' brush while still retaining the weight advantage. Best of both worlds.👍
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 10:34:47 am »
ive cut the  red bristles off one of my sill brushes too winproclean this morning....how the hell did you cut them off with a scraper blade?i used a sharp pair of scissors instead......ill try it out tomorrow....too wet and windy for working outside today!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 10:56:43 am »
ive cut the  red bristles off one of my sill brushes too winproclean this morning....how the hell did you cut them off with a scraper blade?i used a sharp pair of scissors instead......ill try it out tomorrow....too wet and windy for working outside today!

Just used a new pocket scraper blade and sliced each clump off at the base, one by one. It was actually quite quick and easy. 🙂👍
Comfortably Numb!

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 12:58:14 pm »
I did something similar with an Xtreme flocked sill brush recently, only I removed both bottom rows and cut the bottom edge of the brush stock off with a jigsaw mounted in a workmate.  It left me with a great everyday brush and is really good on leaded work.  It’s a great scrubber on residential work, and as it has fewer bristles than say an ultimate, it doesn’t hang on to so much dirt and makes rinsing easier. 

I wish Gardiner’s would put either the flocked Xtreme back into production or a DuPont TaperTec version.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 01:22:58 pm »
I did something similar with an Xtreme flocked sill brush recently, only I removed both bottom rows and cut the bottom edge of the brush stock off with a jigsaw mounted in a workmate.  It left me with a great everyday brush and is really good on leaded work.  It’s a great scrubber on residential work, and as it has fewer bristles than say an ultimate, it doesn’t hang on to so much dirt and makes rinsing easier. 

I wish Gardiner’s would put either the flocked Xtreme back into production or a DuPont TaperTec version.

I did exactly the same with my flocked Xtreme sill.🙂 However, all you end up with is a standard Xtreme with better jet positioning.
The 5 row monofilament is a better option IMO...although ideally it would be better a little softer for cold water. My next purchase will be the medium Xtreme sill and remove the lower set of bristles and stock ends from that too, as I think this will be more suited to cold water.
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 03:59:37 pm »
what do you think of the the close coupled jet assembly winpro?ive just added 4 of them onto a gardiner order (spare xtreme section and flocked brush)....

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 04:55:41 pm »
what do you think of the the close coupled jet assembly winpro?ive just added 4 of them onto a gardiner order (spare xtreme section and flocked brush)....

Really good, I prefer it. It's much neater and the tubes don't get caught on things.
This won't apply to you but it also allows the swivel to operate so much better- freely with no resistance from the jet tubes.👍
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 05:49:01 pm »
i actually prefer the xtreme sill brushes with the bottom row of bristles removed too...thanks winpro!this is my new favourite brush! ;)

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 06:49:24 pm »
i actually prefer the xtreme sill brushes with the bottom row of bristles removed too...thanks winpro!this is my new favourite brush! ;)

In the words of Del Boy.."you know it makes sense"👍
Comfortably Numb!

s.w.c

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 12:22:06 pm »
small tip I've used in modified brushed tools I use sonicrafter for cutting stocks and you could use it's sanding abilitys but I use dremel for sanding but it has could cutting disc but there expensive I've spend hundreds on bits for it, then a good letherman for pulling bristles out in one go.  these tools make it easier and faster.

robbo333

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 09:47:20 pm »
Next time don't cut them off. They pull out very easily with pliers (the red bits come out too), much neater job!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

P @ F

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 09:03:34 am »
Silly question here , I ordered a load of close couples yesterday then it occurred that when I pull on the univalve it’s will tug on the T connection ?
Have you just put a straight pushfit where hose comes out of goose neck , I use swivels ?
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 09:41:48 am »
Silly question here , I ordered a load of close couples yesterday then it occurred that when I pull on the univalve it’s will tug on the T connection ?
Have you just put a straight pushfit where hose comes out of goose neck , I use swivels ?

Hi P@F

If you are using a Univalve then it is important to isolate the brush head, T connectors and the jets from the effects of the hard pulling action that is used to operate the valve. Without being protected it can lead to T connector or jet failure.

The makers of the Univalve also recommend this and make a clip that does this job and sits just above the gooseneck itself. Or what many users do is to fit a 'tightly fitted' O clip to the Gooseneck hose so that it cannot pull back into the gooseneck. If doing this ensure that enough hose is above the clip to actually protect the fittings.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 11:47:40 am »

I use 2 x small cable ties, pulled tight on the hose just as it exits the gooseneck. This acts as the 'stop' that you require. I also use Gardiner swivels.👍
Comfortably Numb!